General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Photography and I[M]aging
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

J Mel

Film Only Thread

Someone Else inspired me to create a new thread. A Film only thread. No digital photography allowed here - although editing is allowed within reason. I know there's no way to know oneway or another....sooooo, call it the honor system.

Whatcha Got? Film Type if you got it!!!

I say that knowing that I don't really remember what type of film it was. Can just tell you it was B/W and shot with Mamiya RB67. I do believe that these were the last rolls of film that I shot. Abandoned Mill near Justin, TX.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

J Mel

Star trails

Ryolite, NV - Near Death Valley. Again, I'm digging in archives here, don't remember film type and don't want to go digging through a box. Did shoot with EOS 3 and believe a 17-40 F4L. Was a neat yet creepy experience. This is the abandoned bank building in Ryolite, which is said to be quite haunted.

Felt very much like the movie "The Hills Have Eyes". Nobody for untold miles, middle of the night for hours in a "haunted" ghost town in the middle of Death Valley.

mekilljoydammit
[H]Cars refugee and rotary whore at large

Oh man. Okay, impetus to get the rolls of Velvia from my honeymoon developed. Let me poke around my hard drive to see what I have handy already...

“We thought it must be possible to make an interesting living messing about with racing cars and engines." -Keith Duckworth

Driving: A nice practical sedate car... '03 WRX
Shooting: Canon P, Zorki 6, Nikon D5100, 1911, FAL

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekilljoydammit View Post
Oh man. Okay, impetus to get the rolls of Velvia from my honeymoon developed. Let me poke around my hard drive to see what I have handy already...

Yeah...this one won't be an easy thread to fill. I may have been overly ambitious with this one. I haven't touched film in a loooooooong time. Perhaps it will inspire me to pull out the ole Mamiya and play. Providing I remeber how to even load the damned thing.

mekilljoydammit
[H]Cars refugee and rotary whore at large

Okay, nothing too original, but I like how they turned out. My very first roll of Fuji Velvia 50, shot out of my Zorki 6 with an Industar 50F3.5 lens - Soviet Leicaclone with Soviet cheapass Tessar clone lens, metered with "sunny 16". Electronics are for capitalist pigdogs!

46560029 by killjoy_tseng, on Flickr

46560018 by killjoy_tseng, on Flickr

“We thought it must be possible to make an interesting living messing about with racing cars and engines." -Keith Duckworth

Driving: A nice practical sedate car... '03 WRX
Shooting: Canon P, Zorki 6, Nikon D5100, 1911, FAL

someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mel View Post
Yeah...this one won't be an easy thread to fill. I may have been overly ambitious with this one. I haven't touched film in a loooooooong time. Perhaps it will inspire me to pull out the ole Mamiya and play. Providing I remeber how to even load the damned thing.

Are you kidding? I could fill this thread with just my stuff!

Velvia 50 shot on a Nikon N90 with the 80-200/2.8

this is why i love film
by megalime, on Flickr

Ektar shot with a Rolleiflex 2.8

all you need is a beer and we have a corona commercial
by megalime, on Flickr

Velvia 100 shot with an Olympus OM1. Film sat in the camera for almost 2 years, a lot of that in my car as my "Oh let me grab a quick shot" camera.

even when you're broke, don't buy newport non-menthols. they suck.
by megalime, on Flickr

Fomapan 100 shot with an Olympus OM1

terrible days sometimes make for excellent photos
by megalime, on Flickr

More Fomapan 100 on the Olympus OM1. I really got the Rodinal dev nailed down

it was a nice sunrise to watch, but real cold
by megalime, on Flickr

TMax 100 with the Nikon N90

floyd, not being cute
by megalime, on Flickr
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645

J Mel

Well played someone else....well played indeed.

I need a scanner. Hmmmm....does it count if i post my fathers landscapes. He doesn't even own a digital camera, and hasn't touched 35mm in years. He's a large format kinda guy.

someone else

Quote:
Well played someone else....well played indeed.

I need a scanner. Hmmmm....does it count if i post my fathers landscapes. He doesn't even own a digital camera, and hasn't touched 35mm in years. He's a large format kinda guy.

I recommend the Epson V500 and up. If you should bigger than MF, go with the 700/750 whatever the big boy is now. I use a V500.

I quite liked your work, but I'm curious to the films/dev stuff. Thats the photo nerd in me. I'm working on some new dev techniques with new films. I buy a lot of the Arista EDU from Freestyle Photo, as its just Fomapan 100 and its dirt cheap. And I've got that nailed down if i'm developing in Rodinal. But now I'm fooling around with Fuji Neopan 400 in HC110.

I'm going to Bermuda in May, and I plan on taking only my Rolleiflex and my Olympus. I'm going to try very hard to not bring my D300 or my F100, because if I take one, I'll end up taking both
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post
I recommend the Epson V500 and up. If you should bigger than MF, go with the 700/750 whatever the big boy is now. I use a V500.

I quite liked your work, but I'm curious to the films/dev stuff. Thats the photo nerd in me. I'm working on some new dev techniques with new films. I buy a lot of the Arista EDU from Freestyle Photo, as its just Fomapan 100 and its dirt cheap. And I've got that nailed down if i'm developing in Rodinal. But now I'm fooling around with Fuji Neopan 400 in HC110.

I'm going to Bermuda in May, and I plan on taking only my Rolleiflex and my Olympus. I'm going to try very hard to not bring my D300 or my F100, because if I take one, I'll end up taking both

I'll see if i can find the negs to see what film it is. I suspect they are at my parents since i would have had my dad scan them for me, since i rarely shoot film and don't own a scanner. What does the v500 go for? I haven't even paid attention to film in almost 10 years...don't know what is what anymore. Haven't processed my own film or been in Dark room since 1997. I'm out of practice and don't even know if i trust myself to shoot film anymore. Find myself quite spoiled with instant gratification of preview screen.

someone else

Quote:
I'll see if i can find the negs to see what film it is. I suspect they are at my parents since i would have had my dad scan them for me, since i rarely shoot film and don't own a scanner. What does the v500 go for? I haven't even paid attention to film in almost 10 years...don't know what is what anymore. Haven't processed my own film or been in Dark room since 1997. I'm out of practice and don't even know if i trust myself to shoot film anymore. Find myself quite spoiled with instant gratification of preview screen.

B&H sells the V500 for $150.

If you can find out, I would most certainly be interested. You'll find tweaking development 30 seconds here, 3-4mL of developer there will give you x and y results on the finished negative. That's what I love about film. It slows your workflow WAY WAY down. You think way more. You're more connected with your work. You're putting more into your work and getting more out of it. You're thinking and planning your shots more. I find my work quality goes up when shooting film in the sense that I get more keepers per roll of 120 or 135 than when I shoot digital. The only time I pick up the digital first and when I'm shooting with a flash. I don't do a lot of work with unnatural light, so I like to know what I need to tweak. But even now I'm leaning more towards film for that stuff too as I get more comfortable with it. Processing your own film is another joy all on its own. it can be a pain in the ass, but I'll take film black and white over digital every single time. and you still can't match slide film, never mind Velvia, with any digital camera - the new Fuji's being the closest. I send out all my slide and color work to Dwayne's in Kansas, just because its about the same price if I went and bought a whole setup and the chem's to do it at home reliably. But black and white becomes wicked cheap to shoot if you do your own developing, and film as a whole isn't too expensive if you scan your own negs.

I find myself regressing to the older as I get older. I know more about old school tech than anything new coming out. I work on old radios, shoot with old cameras and lust after old cars. The whole process with any of these things is longer, tougher even, but at the end of the day, I feel its more rewarding. Everything was made better back in the day. Back when people had pride in their work. Things were built to last, not built to last x amount of years. But then again, maybe i'm just odd and romanticizing everything.

Start shooting film. I guarantee you'll love it.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post
B&H sells the V500 for $150.

If you can find out, I would most certainly be interested. You'll find tweaking development 30 seconds here, 3-4mL of developer there will give you x and y results on the finished negative. That's what I love about film. It slows your workflow WAY WAY down. You think way more. You're more connected with your work. You're putting more into your work and getting more out of it. You're thinking and planning your shots more. I find my work quality goes up when shooting film in the sense that I get more keepers per roll of 120 or 135 than when I shoot digital. The only time I pick up the digital first and when I'm shooting with a flash. I don't do a lot of work with unnatural light, so I like to know what I need to tweak. But even now I'm leaning more towards film for that stuff too as I get more comfortable with it. Processing your own film is another joy all on its own. it can be a pain in the ass, but I'll take film black and white over digital every single time. and you still can't match slide film, never mind Velvia, with any digital camera - the new Fuji's being the closest. I send out all my slide and color work to Dwayne's in Kansas, just because its about the same price if I went and bought a whole setup and the chem's to do it at home reliably. But black and white becomes wicked cheap to shoot if you do your own developing, and film as a whole isn't too expensive if you scan your own negs.

I find myself regressing to the older as I get older. I know more about old school tech than anything new coming out. I work on old radios, shoot with old cameras and lust after old cars. The whole process with any of these things is longer, tougher even, but at the end of the day, I feel its more rewarding. Everything was made better back in the day. Back when people had pride in their work. Things were built to last, not built to last x amount of years. But then again, maybe i'm just odd and romanticizing everything.

Start shooting film. I guarantee you'll love it.

I've fallen into the trap of not being able to find anything worthwhile to shoot where i live. Shit that i see every day and can't find anything interesting. I live in Dallas for fucks sake, i should be able to find countless interesting topics, but since i live here, there is nothing that interests me. I'm sure somebody new to the area could have a field day. I guess my interest in old cars had robbed me of my interest in photography.

someone else

Quote:
I've fallen into the trap of not being able to find anything worthwhile to shoot where i live. Shit that i see every day and can't find anything interesting. I live in Dallas for fucks sake, i should be able to find countless interesting topics, but since i live here, there is nothing that interests me. I'm sure somebody new to the area could have a field day. I guess my interest in old cars had robbed me of my interest in photography.

Nah, I have the same problem. When I'm just going about my everyday life, I don't pick up a camera much. I'm lucky that I'm on the road every day for work, so when I get out to an area I haven't been to before, or rarely go to, I'll bring my camera. But I don't really bust out my camera all too often. The last real "shoot" I had was in September when I did a wedding. I always find i go in cycles with photography. I'll shoot a bunch, and then won't do much until I get the itch to develop my film - I like to develop in big batches, just take a day and develop. So I stockpile the film until that time. And then once i get into scanning and editing, I want to go shoot more. That helps. I've had the same roll of Plus-X in my Rollei since the fall, and I've got a roll of Neopan in my F100 and my Minolta (Not a minolta guy, but I use that camera in situations where I'm worried I might ruin one of my nice cameras IE: drinking weekend in NYC, recent heavy storm on the Cape, etc). But where I'm going through a development phase right now, I'll be getting out there strong in the coming months.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting: