General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

MC

Confused - Misleading Media reports about delegate count?

Why is it that on some articles I see ... Clinton has something like 1,055 delegates to Obamas 700-800..... but in others (for example:

http://news.yahoo.com/election/2008/...W3Thh24cA?d=ST

) the numbers are Obama 914, Clinton 869

whats the deal?

here's a link with the other numbers

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/pri...lts/scorecard/

Last edited by MC; 02-09-2008 at 09:39 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Jason

Some of those counts include superdelegates that they "speculate" will vote one way or the other.

It isn't any better on the Republican side. They report the straw poll, which has no bearing on delegates, and fail to include actual delegate counts since many of them are not decided until after primaries when county and state caucuses take place. One specific instance is Louisiana where they report John McCain won the delegates when in reality he had 7 out of 105 state delegates that decide who the national delegates are. The so called "pro-life/pro-family" group that combined several candidates that didn't even have enough local delegates for a full slate in most areas won the most. Most of those supported Thompson, Romney, Huckabee, or Giuliani. And since nobody got 51% today in the primary, all of the delegates from Louisiana are free to vote for whomever they wish in the national convention... but the media will report it lots of different ways.

MC

shortest thread ever.

but thanks

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Ron Paul's actually winning, just ask Free_Willy and Praetor.

MC

Thread revived

Jason

Since Tom seems to want to bring it up, I just read this...
Quote:
Today we held our local district conventions and selected our delegates to the State convention in Alaska. We turned out the Paulites! Not only did we get a clear majority of delegates to the state (we were very organized and completely stealthy in this - it was like a surprise attack by Ron Paul), but listen to this...

While we were there we voted on platform changes for the state GOP. You will not believe some of the stuff that passed!

The most controversial one was the one that I proposed. There was a section in the platform that said the Republican Party of Alaska opposes any sort of gaming (gambling) in the state on the basis that it is harmful to families and communities. I proposed striking that out entirely, from the standpoint of personal and economic liberty, and after huge debate and three recounts my movement PASSED by ONE VOTE! So now that its passed the local level, it'll go on to state!

Guess what else?

Another Ron Paul supporter proposed striking out and replacing a section that said something to the effect of: "The Republican Party of Alaska supports the aggressive world wide war on terror and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan." The replacement that PASSED read something like: "We will not support military intervention in a foreign country unless a constitutional, congressional declaration of war is made." How HUGE is that?

And perhaps the craziest win of the day, in my opinion, was when we passed a movement to change the party platform to read that we, as Republicans, support the legalization of industrial hemp. LOL!

Lots of other awesome platform changes passed, having to do with state's rights, educational choice, and immigration. Everything was in line with the Ron Paul platform, and pretty Libertarian sounding!

The other conventions that took place elsewhere today and earlier in the week have also reported high numbers of Ron Paul delegates to the state convention, and similar interesting successes at their local level. It really looks to me like we can go to the state convention and ENACT some extremely controversial party platform changes! It would be so great to see the neo-cons have to run independent for failing to endorse the Republican Party platform, and so great to see them squirm in terror when they realize that RON PAUL has TAKEN OVER THEIR PARTY!

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
and be sure to watch the fat guy in youtube haxoring the diebolds

MC

im getting more and more confused and agitated

I couldve swore earlier today I saw a headline that read "Hillary Clinton takes Maine"....now this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080211/...aTl1bcE7Zh24cA

some is going on in the media

MisterKinish
ChopGawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post

Hey, he won Washington.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Ripshod

Quote:
... so great to see [the Republican Party] squirm in terror when they realize that RON PAUL has TAKEN OVER THEIR PARTY!
Ha! Delusions of grandeur?

Okay, so maybe the party will split three ways - The Goldwater Party, the Jesus Party and the Wingnut Party. It could happen.