General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo
 
Fiah's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
They are pure electric and when it's time to charge they simply drive onto a robotic station that swaps the battery out. Voila, instant charge. The old battery then begins to charge so the next guy can use it in a few hours.

Now that is something I can get behind. Alternatively it would suffice if the car has a range of about 150 miles and takes half an hour to charge. Sure, filling a gas tank is a lot faster and you'll get to your destination sooner, but most of the time on a longer roadtrip, chilling out for half an hour with a cup of coffee is welcome for all involved. And with a range of 150 miles, most drivers can do their day's driving and return home to hook up.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 PM Fiah is offline  
Reply With Quote
#91  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiah View Post
Now that is something I can get behind. Alternatively it would suffice if the car has a range of about 150 miles and takes half an hour to charge. Sure, filling a gas tank is a lot faster and you'll get to your destination sooner, but most of the time on a longer roadtrip, chilling out for half an hour with a cup of coffee is welcome for all involved. And with a range of 150 miles, most drivers can do their day's driving and return home to hook up.

This is a good point. If i just drove for 100+ miles I'm definitely stopping for a piss and some lunch.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 07-27-2012, 01:33 AM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#92  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Although you would never understand this, I think making art is really a great forefront of advancing humanity that needs alot more attention. I rank the importance of making better art to be on par with any other great engineering endeavor currently needed.

Although poo on you if you can't see how developing better applications of 3D graphics technologies isn't highly valuable to everything

The only "highly valuable" thing I've seen come from 3D graphics technology is GPU RAID, by one of my colleagues.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:03 AM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#93  

mekilljoydammit
[H]Cars refugee and rotary whore at large
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
I'm an engineer also, and happen to have a bit of experience with electric motors. Electric motors aren't all that complicated to analyze, their operation and construction is pretty much dictated by physics.
Incidentally, and I ask this as an engineer without much of a background in electric motors, but if you had to do away with rare earth elements in permanent magnets, how would that affect the sorts of motors applicable to this discussion?

Anyway.

The most recently built power plant in this country had ground broken on construction in 1974. It's the only sensible non-fossil-fuel electricity option we have now, and 64% of Americans are against more.

What I really hate is trite responses. There's all sorts of reasons why there's no green replacement for cars that's able to be implemented as anything larger than a PR stunt. I brought up some of them, did some math with some , and I'm getting "can't be that hard to switch to electric one way or another" as a response? I mean, you know how I just mentioned how everyone is being too goddamn complacent? Do I need to draw a picture?

I don't give a shit about the idea that we'll run out of oil; we can *make* the stuff if there's an economic necessity. If you're on a 'going green' thing, what you should be worried about is which (if any) climate change prediction model is closest to reality. Some versions have it that we're already going to be into a feedback spiral irrespective of whatever we do now and the only thing our actions can really determine is how long before we're fucked.

With current technology, barring major breakthroughs in power generation and batteries and probably a few other things (not evolution of currently commerically available stuff, complete revolutionary breakthroughs) the idea of electric cars as a widespread solution is hippie feelgood intellectual masturbation propogated by people who want to pretend they're helping the environment without making major changes from their spoonfed consumerist existences, sold by conmen taking advantage of people's lack of critical thinking skills and government subsidies to make bank. And worse, all of this convinces people we have the solutions, as we cut dollars to our educational systems and slash basic research.
__________________
Everything is a gag...

We thought it must be possible to make an interesting living messing about with racing cars and engines." -Keith Duckworth

Driving: A nice practical sedate car... '03 WRX
Shooting: Canon P, Zorki 6, Nikon D5100, 1911, FAL
Old 07-27-2012, 08:31 AM mekilljoydammit is offline  
Reply With Quote
#94  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
The only "highly valuable" thing I've seen come from 3D graphics technology is GPU RAID, by one of my colleagues.

Did your friend actually make this GPU raid? Because slow as shit software assisted raid could sure use it.

And I dunno, CUDA hugely helps in some parallel data processing ventures that werent possible on a small scale before and took supercomputers.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 AM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#95  

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH
 
gee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekilljoydammit View Post
Incidentally, and I ask this as an engineer without much of a background in electric motors, but if you had to do away with rare earth elements in permanent magnets, how would that affect the sorts of motors applicable to this discussion?
It wouldn't make much of a difference, most induction motors tend to be made out of plain copper/aluminum/steel, with the 'rarest' metals probably found in the bearings.

The first gen Prius used an induction motor with permanent magnets embedded in the rotor, which allowed it to run synchronously at light loads and be a bit more efficient at that operating point. As far as I know they're back to a conventional induction motor now, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 AM gee is offline  
Reply With Quote
#96  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
Did your friend actually make this GPU raid? Because slow as shit software assisted raid could sure use it.

And I dunno, CUDA hugely helps in some parallel data processing ventures that werent possible on a small scale before and took supercomputers.

It's out here, but I don't know if there's a convenient package for you to download. Plus, he's only ever built it under Linux.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:19 AM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#97  

dio
 
dio's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
The only "highly valuable" thing I've seen come from 3D graphics technology is GPU RAID, by one of my colleagues.

Well aren't you a narrow minded idiot who managed to develop some very specific advanced skills in a very small range of understanding.

For "highly valuable" things stemming from advancements in 3d graphics, how about every piece of metal thats been manufactured to do anything, from anywhere, in the past 10 years?

Last edited by dio; 07-27-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 PM dio is offline  
Reply With Quote
#98  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
thats the only the only place you should be software raid anyway
Old 07-27-2012, 12:26 PM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#99  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Well aren't you a narrow minded idiot who managed to develop some very specific advanced skills in a very small range of understanding.

For "highly valuable" things stemming from advancements in 3d graphics, how about every piece of metal thats been manufactured to do anything, from anywhere, in the past 10 years?
CNC machining doesn't stem from 3D graphics, you fool.

Specification and design of parts happened long before we could do it on computers. Analysis on these designs (computer drafted or not) are done using CFD, not 3D graphics. 3D graphics is purely a visualization tool, superfluous to any workflow.

3D graphics technologies are simply the hardware used to render images. 3D rendering itself is known to be an "embarrassingly parallel" problem, so in point of fact, there hasn't been any significant advancement in 3D rendering in several decades. The hardware has gotten cheaper, but that's about it.

Since you seem to need the last word (since, I believe, you equate intellect with having the last thing to say on a topic), here you go, have at it. I'm well and thoroughly done with your BS.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:47 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#100  

dio
 
dio's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
CNC machining doesn't stem from 3D graphics, you fool.

Specification and design of parts happened long before we could do it on computers. Analysis on these designs (computer drafted or not) are done using CFD, not 3D graphics. 3D graphics is purely a visualization tool, superfluous to any workflow.

3D graphics technologies are simply the hardware used to render images. 3D rendering itself is known to be an "embarrassingly parallel" problem, so in point of fact, there hasn't been any significant advancement in 3D rendering in several decades. The hardware has gotten cheaper, but that's about it.

Since you seem to need the last word (since, I believe, you equate intellect with having the last thing to say on a topic), here you go, have at it. I'm well and thoroughly done with your BS.

again, narrow thinking.

You think 'analyzation isnt done on a graphics card', 'computations for it arent done on a graphics card', as though the analyzation and computation is the most valuable thing? Only things that can be concretely mathematically calculated are valuable? Everything else is superfluous? What kind of lifeless robot tool are you?

The hinge point on which the value of an entire technological system rests is human interface. Making the disconnect between human imagination and manifested form in software less and less is the forefront of diffuculty in technological design. You can chain together thousands of GPU's but if there is no that can connect their imagination to it, your not gonna have shit to computationally analyze in the first place.

You can say that before 3D aided design software we did it on pen and paper but thats like really retarded. Ya we designed aircrafts on paper in the 1970's, screw 3D aided design software, the only thing thats important is calculating the fluid dynamics on our pen and paper drawings. What good has the ability to fully draw an aircraft out in accurate 3D forms do for the design of the aircraft over drawing it on paper.

No I equate intellect with being able to grapple more points and variables simoultaneously to reach a conclusion. Not simply the variables that require the most processing units behind it to do.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:41 PM dio is offline  
Reply With Quote
#101  

mekilljoydammit
[H]Cars refugee and rotary whore at large
 
I miss the days before we had people from the main forum in here as much.
__________________
Everything is a gag...

We thought it must be possible to make an interesting living messing about with racing cars and engines." -Keith Duckworth

Driving: A nice practical sedate car... '03 WRX
Shooting: Canon P, Zorki 6, Nikon D5100, 1911, FAL
Old 07-27-2012, 01:50 PM mekilljoydammit is offline  
Reply With Quote
#102  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
I kinda like it. It's amusing.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 07-28-2012, 01:13 AM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#103  

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
again, narrow thinking.

You think 'analyzation isnt done on a graphics card', 'computations for it arent done on a graphics card', as though the analyzation and computation is the most valuable thing? Only things that can be concretely mathematically calculated are valuable? Everything else is superfluous? What kind of lifeless robot tool are you?

The hinge point on which the value of an entire technological system rests is human interface. Making the disconnect between human imagination and manifested form in software less and less is the forefront of diffuculty in technological design. You can chain together thousands of GPU's but if there is no that can connect their imagination to it, your not gonna have shit to computationally analyze in the first place.

You can say that before 3D aided design software we did it on pen and paper but thats like really retarded. Ya we designed aircrafts on paper in the 1970's, screw 3D aided design software, the only thing thats important is calculating the fluid dynamics on our pen and paper drawings. What good has the ability to fully draw an aircraft out in accurate 3D forms do for the design of the aircraft over drawing it on paper.

No I equate intellect with being able to grapple more points and variables simoultaneously to reach a conclusion. Not simply the variables that require the most processing units behind it to do.

whats it like to grasp like that?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:41 AM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#104  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnatas View Post
In 2012 less than 8% of our power in the US comes from Hydro electric. Close to 50% from coal burning. 20% from natural gas burning.

Yes, because the corporations don't care how we die, as long as we give them our money for killing us.

EDIT: cars are already simpler to some extent than their predecessors. And future cars will be even simpler, especially if they're electric. Most maintenance and wear items will be fully modular and easily removable/replaceable. Many will be disposable as well, with the remainder being easily refurbished in the proper environments (shops). And it's about time, too.

And, of course, those items will always be hacked/modded/improved/changed by the hotrodders/hackers of the world, always looking for that extra burst of speed, that extra power.
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Last edited by Tex Arcana; 07-28-2012 at 03:47 PM..
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#105  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:15 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.