General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Namtaru

so seeing as how i have a whole weekend to not do anthing i figured i'd mess with linux hoping to get into it a little bit.

I know absolutely nothing about Linux and have read almost all the past threads on Linus in Genmay
I downloaded a few different version, including Slackware, and Gentoo.
But in the end i decided to give Debian my attention

The problem i am having is trying to figure out how the hell to understand their website
there are so many differnt versions of everything and links everywhere, i dont know where the fuck to start

I think i finally figurd out wtf i need bu i didnt think it was going to be 6 CD images i would need to download just to install Debian

Also i see that Debian Sarge is being recommended by some, is that a whole install by itself? or does that go ontop of the rest of the debian install stuff?

It's either all so damned confusing or im making this out to be harder than it is

edit: paging dastrike

Last edited by Namtaru; 03-19-2005 at 01:24 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

dastrike

Do not download Debian 3.0 ('woody', current stable release) - that is nearly three years old.
Get Debian testing ('sarge', what will become the next 3.1 release) Download the net installer, that is the best in most cases.

(and if the 7 CDs of 'woody' seem like much, 'sarge' is at 15 CDs now or 2 DVDs... heh of course one doesn't need that all, the first CD (or DVD) contains the most frequently needed stuff, but with the net installer that all gets moot as all is downloaded over the net instead, quickly and smoothly without any need to start juggling with CDs as soon as something needs to get installed)

Last edited by dastrike; 03-19-2005 at 01:29 PM..

2slow
Whatsisname
I'm a pederast. 12yr old boys turn me on!

Do not go with debian as your first distro. Go with mandrake or suse or some shit. Suse you can install apt-get for, and it's pretty sweet.
DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU
DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU
DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU
DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU

RMS of the [M] GNU\Linux Krew 2006

OddOne
LED Gawd <3 t33cael

Seconded on the comment to start with something less newbie-unfriendly than Debian. Sure it comes with EVERYTHING but you do have to be at least an intermediate-level Linux user to get the most out of it.

For total Linux newbness, I suggest Mandrake 10.1. It's about the easiest install I've seen thus far for a Linux distro. Only took about 20 minutes to install.

oO
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Namtaru

nextbillgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddOne
Seconded on the comment to start with something less newbie-unfriendly than Debian. Sure it comes with EVERYTHING but you do have to be at least an intermediate-level Linux user to get the most out of it.

For total Linux newbness, I suggest Mandrake 10.1. It's about the easiest install I've seen thus far for a Linux distro. Only took about 20 minutes to install.

oO

I disagree. n00bs should start with more advanced distros like Slackware or Gentoo. If they start with Mandrake, they're not going to learn shit.

Namtaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextbillgates
I disagree. n00bs should start with more advanced distros like Slackware or Gentoo. If they start with Mandrake, they're not going to learn shit.
that, and i dont want to buy anything

iceslice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtaru
that, and i dont want to buy anything

Is this a joke? The only thing you're can legaly pay for related to linux is support for using it..

I'd also go with a noob friendly distribution for the first time. While i do agree that people should work with the more difficult ones, the only way you appreciate the power gained from that difficult-to-install/use distribution is by comparing it to a lesser version. Just having the machine up and running, and being able to play with a little is far more valuable then spending hours going through steps you don't even understand the basics of.
Bren (AKA Dextertheorphan)[/QUOTE]

Tunnelvision is upon my head.

Namtaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceslice
Is this a joke? The only thing you're can legaly pay for related to linux is support for using it..

dastrike

Mehhh Debian is not difficult for fucks sake. The installer is greatly improved in 'sarge' compared to e.g. 'woody'. And it has been the installation that has been traditionally the main stumblestone of getting into Debian.

If you want a more polished feel than the 'sarge' (remember, 'sarge' hasn't been released yet so there is some parts that are still tweaked with), look into Ubuntu Linux. It is based on Debian 'sarge' and behaves in most parts just as Debian does.

Barney
kronchev
Change a user's title. Their new title will remain until someone else changes it.

Debian isnt newbie-unfriendly at all. This is my first venture into real linux and I have it fine...I just needed some help as I chose a few wrong driver sets in the beginning. But now I know!

Only thing is I cant get WINE to work with diablo II and that angers me...but thats linux as a whole.

/edit: get SARGE. the net install. Totally worth saving all those CDs and all that time.

Namtaru

ya im almost done with the net install right now, just downloading the rest of the files right now

Barney
kronchev
Change a user's title. Their new title will remain until someone else changes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtaru
ya im almost done with the net install right now, just downloading the rest of the files right now

make sure you choose the right driver when setting up X, or youll be stuck in 640 hell like I was.

if you need help, dastrike knows his shit, and I just, as in the past 12 hours, have done an install, so I can sorta help too

dastrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronchev
Debian isnt newbie-unfriendly at all. This is my first venture into real linux and I have it fine...I just needed some help as I chose a few wrong driver sets in the beginning. But now I know!

Only thing is I cant get WINE to work with diablo II and that angers me...but thats linux as a whole.

/edit: get SARGE. the net install. Totally worth saving all those CDs and all that time.
You may have better luck with Cedega (formerly known as WineX)
http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games...l?game_id=2318
http://digital-conquest.ath.cx/wiki/index.php/Diablo2

Notice though that your graphics doesn't have accelerated 3D support currently... I haven't played Diablo2 myself so I don't know if it uses 3D graphics, or if it has software rendering mode, that can possibly be used instead.

And a drawback with Cedega is that it isn't free. Well you can download for free the code off their slower-than-slow CVS and then hope that the sucker compiles cleanly (which it won't in 90% of the days... argh), and some of the CD-copy-protection support features aren't included in that code anyways. Or pony up the cash for the subscription.  Or the third not-to-discuss route. 

Namtaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronchev
make sure you choose the right driver when setting up X, or youll be stuck in 640 hell like I was.

if you need help, dastrike knows his shit, and I just, as in the past 12 hours, have done an install, so I can sorta help too

ya i've been keeping tabs on your thread