General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

notetcetera

Soo my friend has a '72 Honda CB350 that he's looking to sell, and I'm curious as to whether this would be a good beginner bike for me.

I'm 6'4, 230lbs and I've never ridden a motorcycle.

The bike has 26,000 miles on it, and needs a new alternator. He's asking $700 for it.

ALSO, is it a huge deal that the bike has been sitting on his porch uncovered all winter?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

claffix

Ok ninja 250 guys (totensie in particular)

Heard anything about the ZZR 250? Sounds like a Canadian model (just like me) with a few little add ons like an aluminum frame and 17 inch wheels and a couple others.

Is it a better ninja 250 that shares the reliability and beginner bike characteristics or a low production bastard child that should be avoided at all costs?

I like my girls like I like my bikes: fast, naked, and barely legal.

Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and reckless steals the show.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by claffix View Post
Canadian model

bastard child that should be avoided at all costs?

I think you already know the answer.

why doesn't the US get an aluminum frame, wtf

princess0fdiabl0

Quote:
Originally Posted by notetcetera View Post
Soo my friend has a '72 Honda CB350 that he's looking to sell, and I'm curious as to whether this would be a good beginner bike for me.

I'm 6'4, 230lbs and I've never ridden a motorcycle.

The bike has 26,000 miles on it, and needs a new alternator. He's asking $700 for it.

ALSO, is it a huge deal that the bike has been sitting on his porch uncovered all winter?

I'd offer him $400 and get him to $500. An uncovered bike that old is gonna be rusty as shit. Do you know how to work on cars etc or are you going into this a newbie to mechanics in general?

notetcetera

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess0fdiabl0 View Post
I'd offer him $400 and get him to $500. An uncovered bike that old is gonna be rusty as shit. Do you know how to work on cars etc or are you going into this a newbie to mechanics in general?

I have no mechanical knowledge.

Rancidpunk666

Get something that runs then.
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post
Get something that runs then.

Yeah $700 for a non-running '72 anything with two wheels is an inflated price, be it because the seller thinks it's a collector's item or whatever. You can probably find something like a Suzuki GS500 for that money that's in better running shape because it actually runs.

edit: also, it's going to be slow as balls with 230lbs on top of it, unless the engine suddenly produces more than its rated power.

lopoetve

to give you an idea, I paid 1200 for a 1984 nighthawk 650SC, with 20k on it, in almost perfect condition.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

when did you get an STR?

[H]ard|On

He's keeping that on the D-low

wants to learn to wheelie it first and then flash some jpegs

princess0fdiabl0

In true KLR fashion i fabbed pannier racks out of EMT conduit. More mpg AND more storage than a prius now.

Squeeky
My love muffin <3 Pinkys Avenger

Just got in from Desert Center, CA. The event was a huge success. All 3 groups were completely sold out, so there were 90+ bikes running today, 30 per session. I was in B group, and I'm glad I didn't opt for A. Little did any of us know, it was a race weekend, so there were tons of race teams that showed up a day early to test & tune. Pretty impressive setups, 18 wheelers with lifts and several fully built race bikes. There were dudes out there laying down < 1:55 laps. The good thing about all that, is that when the racers show up, so do the vendors. Pirelli, Michelin, Dunlop, CR Suspension, GPR, etc.. etc.. all showed up. Was awesome to walk over and get my gauge calibrated and get exact pressure recommendations directly from the Michelin rep.

The first session was a mess for me. The rear end felt way too stiff, so after only a few laps I brought it over to Tige from Catalyst Reaction suspension. He softened the rear up a TON, and dialed in a bit more rebound in the front which worked wonders. .

Tige hooked it up, and only charged me $10. Nice guy, definitely knows what he's doing.

The track itself is incredible. Smooth as glass, but there are a few slight bumps (apex to 5 in particular.)

The 8-9-10 section is completely blind on corner entry, and drops away from you with negative camber. I saw at least 3 bikes wadded in this corner by lunchtime. Definitely goes against every instinct to tip the bike over and crack the throttle open, but by about my 5th session I had developed enough confidence to really nail this section. TrackDaz control riders were awesome. Had one follow me for a few laps, and then on the back straight he crept up and tapped my tail section and then motioned for me to follow. He showed me the lines in a few a sections, and I dropped several seconds off my lap time and was doing < 2:10's by the afternoon session.

Several red flag incidents, but no helicopter rides out. During the 3rd session, I was following a guy on a 600RR, preparing to pass him. I was setting up a wide line out of 1 so I could pass him into 2 and he hit a slick of oil on the brakes (that I happened to just miss) and went down in a split second. I had nowhere to go, narrowly avoided him and his bike, and went off-roading at about 70mph. I was able to keep the bike up, and did my best motocross impression with the rear brake, fish tailing off into the run off area. The dirt didn't have nearly as much grip as the asphalt.

I was recording with the Contour when it happened, but unfortunately it was a forward facing view from the rear seat so I could check out my body positioning. The camera does have a wide angle lens though, so I may have caught it, haven't checked yet.

Stuffed my ranger like a turkey with 1600cc's of Yamaha powah. Middleweight and Heavyweight

Studying a map in the hotel.

Our section of the pits. We had a 32' Toy hauler/camper that we used as our 'HQ'. All in all we had 15 people in our section. It was an awesome turn out. Definitely fun to dice with friends that you have grown accustomed to riding with on the street.

Contour HD 1080p bullet cam. Got a couple different angles, from several different sessions. Gonna edit/compress/upload it eventually.

Conclusion: More track time, please.

[H]ard|On

I thought you'd be back tomorrow, was thinking hope nothing went wrong cause you came back tonight. Looks like a good time.

Def upload some of this video

notetcetera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiah View Post
Yeah $700 for a non-running '72 anything with two wheels is an inflated price, be it because the seller thinks it's a collector's item or whatever. You can probably find something like a Suzuki GS500 for that money that's in better running shape because it actually runs.

edit: also, it's going to be slow as balls with 230lbs on top of it, unless the engine suddenly produces more than its rated power.

What do you recommend in the way of cruisers for rough the same price?

princess0fdiabl0

Quote:
Originally Posted by notetcetera View Post
What do you recommend in the way of cruisers for rough the same price?

If you only want to spend $700 you cannot be picky. At all. Bump it up to $1,500 and you can reasonably find actually working bikes, possibly of the type you want!. $700 is a crapshoot.