General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artesial View Post
That is a rather frustrating aspect in this country but I think it's like that with every word. Anyone can be a genius, Apple even has a "genius station" which is a fucking joke. Or people overusing epic and that's the freaking most annoying.

No, to be a real "engineer" you better have taken at least 2 or 3 advanced maths past algebra/trig, use math/physics/linear algebra in your daily job, require some deep technical thinking, and actually "engineer" things, ya know like make new things not do fucking IT work that any monkey with a certificate could do.
or have an engineering degree from an ABET certified school, and for appropriate engineering degrees have passed the state boards.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Artesial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
or have an engineering degree from an ABET certified school, and for appropriate engineering degrees have passed the state boards.

This is debatable but generally true and I mostly agree with it; I have known some bright minds that didn't go to college that are some of the best software and computer engineers I know. But there's always exceptions to the rule.

Edit: Just double checked the school I got my BS in CS (yeah yeah it's a science not engineering, but most SE's I know majored in CS because Software Engineering wasn't a program available) from and it's in there, figured it was but always nice to be sure

mainbrotha

You have to be yourself or you'll drive yourself nuts. But you have to try and expand your social circle a bit. Meetup might be something you'd like if you can find an activity you'd like to do. You're into lifting, what kind of gym are you at? Is there one more centric to powerlifting or olympic lifting near you? Try and join that. No girlfriend? Try online dating (I have a good friend that I met through doing that, and it expanded my social circle a lot more, too).

I just turned 26. About a month ago I was out with some friends, and me and this girl I've met a couple of times were talking throughout the night. She said at one point "I wonder why you two hang out with these people," referring to another friend I was with. "I just see two smart people in a group of a bunch of dumb people." It hit home, and she wasn't wrong. Point of that anecdote is, I feel your pain.

aussiehax

First piece of advice, stop being Captain Try Hard of the Fit in Police. Who gives a fuck what your "friends" think. Friends are supposed to be called that because they truly stand by you or support most of your views. If you have to watch every single thing you say...

Put on your own pants and walk a little. I'm the same age as you so I know the feeling with the bar scene getting boring and all that jazz. So then switch it up, go to a sports bar or a gay bar if that suits your fancy. Do something to see what you might like. Why bother staying in the same box trying to be someone you aren't.

There are so many people in the world who will have the same views as you. Just go out and find them, there might not be many, but they are there. Just because you gotta work a little doesn't mean it isn't worth it or that you shouldn't do it.

In regards to traveling, just go and do it. Why do you have to have someone hold your hand? Traveling is bomb and maybe you can find someone random on that trip and have an experience that you will remember for a long time!

Basically man...you think too much. Just stick to being who you are. It doesn't fucking matter what people around you think in the long run. They will enjoy you for who you are, if that means changing your social circle, than do it. I've had to do the same and really assess who I hang out with and what happens.

AbortTheFetus

if your "friends" aren't cool with you being you,and want you to be more like them, I'd get the fuck away from the bromance circle jerk post haste.

You shouldn't have to be fake to anyone. If they want to trash talk your music, or your desire to drink real beer, they have a right to say it just like some fucktard has a right to say that the Jets are the best team in the NFL. You might feel like a Debbie downer but there's nothing wrong with telling them the truth. If you walked in on all your guy friends standing in a circle, jerking off the guy to their right, it might be a bit of a mood killer to tell them that what they're doing is pretty gay but at the end of the day, sometimes people need to hear the truth. Even if it makes you the buzzkill in the group.

john29

'm very much anti-pop culture. Some chick in our friend group recently decided to do a Jersey Shore themed bar crawl for her birthday. That is a rather frustrating aspect in this country but I think it's like that with every word. Anyone can be a genius, Apple even has a "genius station" which is a fucking joke. Or people overusing epic and that's the freaking most annoying.

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Don't focus too much on trying to align yourself with other people, and trying to do the same things with them.

Some of the best moments I've had in my life, and most fun things I've done, were done alone. Case in point, 10 years ago I drove Halifax to Ottawa and back for a Cinnabon. but the cinnamon roll wasn't even the point of it all, I stopped at so many places along the way and saw so many cool/unique things. I honestly believe tourism is something best done alone sometimes.

AbortTheFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by john29 View Post
'm very much anti-pop culture. Some chick in our friend group recently decided to do a Jersey Shore themed bar crawl for her birthday. That is a rather frustrating aspect in this country but I think it's like that with every word. Anyone can be a genius, Apple even has a "genius station" which is a fucking joke. Or people overusing epic and that's the freaking most annoying.

in keeping with the theme of such an event, someone punched her in the face, right?

dio

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...re-getting-old

frealz watch that episode, and also the next episdoe s15e08

I think you will relate to it alot, and it also offers some good advice on how to fix it

xagent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...re-getting-old

frealz watch that episode, and also the next episdoe s15e08

I think you will relate to it alot, and it also offers some good advice on how to fix it

haha, i've seen that episode, and thats EXACTLY how I feel, and how my friends are too. am I just becoming a cynical asshole, or is everything and everyone I hang out with turning to shit? I forgot how good south park can be.

cornelius

AbortTheFetus has it right, the bromance circle jerk is something I fell into after leaving the military and finishing college, but I began to hate it more and more. I used to be a quieter guy and kept my opinions to myself, and it led me to hang out with some pretty low life people.

I highly recommend couchsurfing.com . That site blows my mind and I have talked to so many awesome people. I'd love to actually do some couchsurfing if I get the chance.