General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
brfatal
 
brfatal's Avatar
 
Four weeks into the Insanity work-out....

Total weight lost: 3 lbs.

And the sad part I've lost more muscle weight than that because I stopped weight lifting in order to have time to do Insanity and my upper body has lost a ton of mass. I actually stopped lifting weights 6 weeks ago because I started the work out program and had to stop and restart it because I had to go out of town.

Anyways. I am currently ~45 lbs over my ideal body weight. I have not followed the official diet that comes with it, but I do only eat 1,200-1,400 calories a day. And I eat relatively healthy. I can't figure out why I haven't lost anything. Cardio is not in my vocabulary and never has been. This is one of most frustrating and difficult things I've ever done and it's only so much worse because I'm not getting any results, even when measuring myself. I'm certainly not half assing it. I give what I can to the point of not being able to move anymore. I just don't see the point of continuing when I'm what I'd weight work out or not.

Can I get any advice from fitness gurus out there?
__________________
'02 WRX Fully Built EJ257 (sold)
'12 Genesis R-Spec Sedan
MrFolx's Intraweb F-Buddy
Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 PM brfatal is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
"I have not followed the official diet that comes with it"

"Cardio is not in my vocabulary"

there you go, theres your reasons.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

Gibonius
 
Sounds like you're not eating enough. 1200 calories is really low, especially if you're working out hard and you're a larger guy. Boost it up a couple hundred calories and see if you feel better.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

brfatal
 
brfatal's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
"I have not followed the official diet that comes with it"

"Cardio is not in my vocabulary"

there you go, theres your reasons.

No, cardio not being in my vocab meaning it doesn't come easy for me because I haven't done any real cardio exercise in well over 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Sounds like you're not eating enough. 1200 calories is really low, especially if you're working out hard and you're a larger guy. Boost it up a couple hundred calories and see if you feel better.

The official diet actually has you eat as many calories as I am now. The difference being that I'm eating toned down every day food (and avoiding junk) versus plain specific items.
__________________
'02 WRX Fully Built EJ257 (sold)
'12 Genesis R-Spec Sedan
MrFolx's Intraweb F-Buddy
Old 08-14-2012, 08:59 PM brfatal is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

Artesial
 
What does your diet look like specifically? I know people who lose more than that with just changing their diet and no working out so you're doing something wrong.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM Artesial is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

brfatal
 
brfatal's Avatar
 
Well to be honest my diet hasn't really changed, I've just cut out the few junk items I occasionally had. I've always eaten under 2,000 calories. I'm not really sure how I weigh this much in the 1st place.

Yesterday I had a bowl of cereal, a lettuce and chicken wrap, and fish with pasta. All drinks were water.
__________________
'02 WRX Fully Built EJ257 (sold)
'12 Genesis R-Spec Sedan
MrFolx's Intraweb F-Buddy

Last edited by brfatal; 08-15-2012 at 07:37 AM..
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM brfatal is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

Artesial
 
Also what is your height, current weight, and ideal weight you're looking to get to?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 AM Artesial is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

fapling
 
fapling's Avatar
 
Do you track your calories? You might be overeating, in which case it's obvious why you're not losing weight. You might be undereating, in which case your body is preferentially burning muscle rather than fat (fat is a higher energy source, if food is scarce your body holds on to it for a bleaker future).

Until you track your calories it's really tough to figure out. Try tracking for 1 week.
__________________
22a1a861cae401edef80f78cd549ab4d [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM fapling is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

brfatal
 
brfatal's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artesial View Post
Also what is your height, current weight, and ideal weight you're looking to get to?

6'1

232 -> 190-195

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapling View Post
Do you track your calories? You might be overeating, in which case it's obvious why you're not losing weight. You might be undereating, in which case your body is preferentially burning muscle rather than fat (fat is a higher energy source, if food is scarce your body holds on to it for a bleaker future).

Until you track your calories it's really tough to figure out. Try tracking for 1 week.

I don't track exact, but I do estimate (unless it's prepackaged and tells you what's in it). Yesterday I ate approx 1,500. So far today I'm at about 1,100.
__________________
'02 WRX Fully Built EJ257 (sold)
'12 Genesis R-Spec Sedan
MrFolx's Intraweb F-Buddy

Last edited by brfatal; 08-15-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Old 08-15-2012, 05:23 PM brfatal is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

VapoRub
 
VapoRub's Avatar
 
When I was on P90x, the diet was 80% of the results, so I wouldn't overlook it. There were very specific portions of different categories of nutrition, as opposed to a general total of calorie intake.
__________________
Rub a thick layer on chest and throat or rub on sore aching muscles. If desired, cover with a soft, dry cloth but keep clothing loose so vapors can reach nose and mouth.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM VapoRub is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

fapling
 
fapling's Avatar
 
You can take my advice or leave it, it's up to you, but in my opinion you need to track your calories explicitly, for at least a week. Until you do that I don't think anyone can give you useful help. There is no magic bullet or secret weight loss fact you're missing.
__________________
22a1a861cae401edef80f78cd549ab4d [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:27 PM fapling is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

xagent
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Total weight lost: 3 lbs.

And the sad part I've lost more muscle weight than that because I stopped weight lifting in order to have time to do Insanity and my upper body has lost a ton of mass. I actually stopped lifting weights 6 weeks ago because I started the work out program and had to stop and restart it because I had to go out of town.

Anyways. I am currently ~45 lbs over my ideal body weight. I have not followed the official diet that comes with it, but I do only eat 1,200-1,400 calories a day. And I eat relatively healthy. I can't figure out why I haven't lost anything. Cardio is not in my vocabulary and never has been. This is one of most frustrating and difficult things I've ever done and it's only so much worse because I'm not getting any results, even when measuring myself. I'm certainly not half assing it. I give what I can to the point of not being able to move anymore. I just don't see the point of continuing when I'm what I'd weight work out or not.

Can I get any advice from fitness gurus out there?

Stop doing Insanity workout nonsense, and do some real strength training. Squats, deadlifts, cleans, press, bench press, chins, dips. also, 1200 calories is what a 100 pound female that doesn't every exercise should be eating.

I dropped 15 pounds in 2 months via carb back loading, lifting HEAVY, compound barbells. The gist of carb back loading is that you save all your carbs for only post-workout and at night. Prior to that, eat lots of protein and fat.

For example, if you train around 6 or 7 PM after work, your breakfast and lunch would be carb-free or low-carb. Then you'd train semi-fasted. After that, pig out... My breakfast was a whey protein shake in water and 2 whole eggs. Lunch was a Chipotle burrito bowl without the rice, and with double steak. Then I lifted in the evening. Afte that, I chugged 2 cups of milk, 2 scoops of whey, 4 whole eggs, 1/2 lb of chicken thigh meat, and a bowl of brown rice(the milk and whey was post workout shake, eggs and chicken dinner). And now before bed I'll have a few spoonfuls of almond buter and another protein shake. that's about 2k calories, and I'm 5'7" and only 145. Also, train at high intensity, but low volume.

Eating only 1200 calories and not doing any serious high intensity training will leave you scrawnny, a useless human being, and looking like Justin Bieber, Russell brand, or someone equally gay, skinny, and useless.

Here is a good article about carb back loading: http://articles.elitefts.com/nutriti...-back-loading/

cliffs:
- lift heavy and big. high intensity, low volume if you're cutting. don't waste time with cardio on a deficit if you want to be constantly fatigued and end up a scrawny.
- eat clean
- take a look into carb back loading
__________________
"We're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good" - Hillary Clinton

Last edited by xagent; 08-28-2012 at 02:07 AM..
Old 08-28-2012, 01:57 AM xagent is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

Gooch
Cooch (typo)
 
Just because it's low calorie doesn't mean it's good, and just because it's high calorie doesn't mean its bad!

Caloric intake is makes a difference in weight loss, but quality of food is even more important. Ingredients that are simple and made of whole foods. That's the way to go.

Good luck with your diet! I'm not sure what the insanity workout is... but I personally would never quit lifting to strictly do cardio. I keep balance, you shouldn't abandon one area to succeed in another.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 AM Gooch is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

xagent
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Good luck with your diet! I'm not sure what the insanity workout is... but I personally would never quit lifting to strictly do cardio. I keep balance, you shouldn't abandon one area to succeed in another.

Insanity is an overpriced DVD made by the same marketing machine as P90x. Except IMO it's even worse because it doesn't use a pullup bar, resistance bands, or any dumbbells. Not to say that p90x is a good program or any real strength training either... It's an aerobics DVD with a hardcore sounding name, so men will buy it without feeling ashamed.
__________________
"We're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good" - Hillary Clinton
Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 PM xagent is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

Foolioq
 
Foolioq's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xagent View Post
Insanity is an overpriced DVD made by the same marketing machine as P90x. Except IMO it's even worse because it doesn't use a pullup bar, resistance bands, or any dumbbells. Not to say that p90x is a good program or any real strength training either... It's an aerobics DVD with a hardcore sounding name, so men will buy it without feeling ashamed.

and it makes women's bodies look extremely manly...
__________________
Cool like a Fool in a Swimming Pool
Hoolio's Bitch
[P]resident of the John [P]reston Fan Club
Old 08-28-2012, 02:29 PM Foolioq is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.