General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Cody
User Deleted
 
Cody's Avatar
 
Why are these tires not on EVERYTHING yet?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
[QUOTE=GhEttOrAiD;25509339]glass isn't going to stop until the whole userbase is driven away[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=The Unflushable Turd;25485427]Also maybe its because i'm a piece of shit and i don't deserve happiness or whatever balalalal hueuheuhuehueuheuhuehue[/QUOTE]
Old 04-02-2015, 12:11 AM Cody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Aside from the fact they're fugly, can't be fitted without modification, super expensive to buy/replace..

No good reason really.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 04-02-2015, 10:14 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

Cody
User Deleted
 
Cody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Aside from the fact they're fugly, can't be fitted without modification, super expensive to buy/replace..

No good reason really.

looks like 2 injection molded pieces of rubber bonded together and slipped over a wheel then bolted on to me

whats so expensive about that?
__________________
[QUOTE=GhEttOrAiD;25509339]glass isn't going to stop until the whole userbase is driven away[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=The Unflushable Turd;25485427]Also maybe its because i'm a piece of shit and i don't deserve happiness or whatever balalalal hueuheuhuehueuheuhuehue[/QUOTE]
Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM Cody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

Cody
User Deleted
 
Cody's Avatar
 
re make in china for fye dorrar
__________________
[QUOTE=GhEttOrAiD;25509339]glass isn't going to stop until the whole userbase is driven away[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=The Unflushable Turd;25485427]Also maybe its because i'm a piece of shit and i don't deserve happiness or whatever balalalal hueuheuhuehueuheuhuehue[/QUOTE]
Old 04-02-2015, 10:31 AM Cody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Your only contact patch with the road made by slave children as cheaply as possible?

sign me up
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 04-02-2015, 11:34 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

Cody
User Deleted
 
Cody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Your only contact patch with the road made by slave children as cheaply as possible?

sign me up

While I do see your point and its valid as fuck, i do watch a lot of shark tank. when money is problem, make it in china

also

Quote:
From China with rove

“Our goar is to be a top-end Chinese brand through service, firr rate, quarity of product and communication,” says Wee. “Wee want to have a good name, a good reputation as a middre, even high-end brand.
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/chan...rom-china.aspx
Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM Cody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

RazorWind
 
RazorWind's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
looks like 2 injection molded pieces of rubber bonded together and slipped over a wheel then bolted on to me

whats so expensive about that?

Several things:
1. Tires in general are WAY more complex than just "injection molded rubber." Their strength comes from steel and nylon fibers, which then get rubber slathered on them and vulcanized. The "injection molded rubber" tread is then bonded to this assembly. These tires appear to have a significantly more complex structure, which likely requires a more complex manufacturing process.

2. That wheel is very small, and would likely not clear the brakes that come on many vehicles. The structure of the tire likely requires that the ratio of wheel to tire diameter be as you see there. On a large vehicle like a HMMWV with relatively small brakes, this may not be a problem, but on a vehicle with smaller wheels, packaging would become a problem.

3. Pneumatic tires have the advantage of being mostly air. This tweel design includes a significantly greater volume of non-air material, which is comparatively quite heavy. All that extra rotating mass imposes a severe penalty in fuel economy and acceleration, as the engine has to get all that extra mass moving. Also, the extra unsprung weight would necessitate redesigning most vehicle suspensions.

4. I would guess that rolling resistance is also a problem, which would again impose a penalty in fuel economy and vehicle performance.

There are vehicles where this technology is appropriate, such as earth moving equipment and tractors. In fact, these are actually fairly common on that sort of vehicle already. What these vehicles have in common is that they're very heavy, and don't move very fast, which means they can work around all those disadvantages.
__________________
90f54f9cfb4106d1ef0e6a82e53f14
Old 04-02-2015, 11:48 AM RazorWind is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

Cody
User Deleted
 
Cody's Avatar
 
I see your points everywhere but item 3

I think that realistically the sidewalls + steel wire (i've burned enough tires to know whats in em and where) would weigh the same or more than the hex support cushion design. In your 18"+ tires, low profile i guess you call them, the wheel offsets the sidewall in the same manner, but is probably also heavier.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:52 AM Cody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

RazorWind
 
RazorWind's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
I see your points everywhere but item 3

I think that realistically the sidewalls + steel wire (i've burned enough tires to know whats in em and where) would weigh the same or more than the hex support cushion design. In your 18"+ tires, low profile i guess you call them, the wheel offsets the sidewall in the same manner, but is probably also heavier.

What you're forgetting is that all that hex structure you see in there is reinforced with something stiffer than just rubber - steel or nylon most likely. Not only does it have to mechanically support the weight of the vehicle, it also has to stand up to axial loads when the vehicle turns. I would guess it has to be much heavier than it looks.
__________________
90f54f9cfb4106d1ef0e6a82e53f14
Old 04-02-2015, 12:00 PM RazorWind is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

Cody
User Deleted
 
Cody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
What you're forgetting is that all that hex structure you see in there is reinforced with something stiffer than just rubber - steel or nylon most likely. Not only does it have to mechanically support the weight of the vehicle, it also has to stand up to axial loads when the vehicle turns. I would guess it has to be much heavier than it looks.

I was wondering how they resolved the issues with stress fractures from the constant compression, especially when you add things like friction heat at highway speeds. My guess was carbon fiber

that being said, they'd look cool as hell on anything 70's. also with motorcycles, i think you'd fully eliminate the need for front shocks, which would lighten the bike. yes?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:19 PM Cody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

Jas101
 
Jas101's Avatar
 
id buy the shit out of those. not only do they look like something from batman, they also seem to add extra functionality to wheels.

you dont know how many times iver driven op to a 3 inch high chunk of wood and thought...now what
__________________
gsharaf - maybe you just aren't ghey enough, so take one up da butt (for the team)
Jeff - Anyone got any midget porn? Its for a friend.
c449140ffaaa3f7c2e4d93e0ba37705e [pornmay.com]
Old 04-02-2015, 12:26 PM Jas101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

Cody
User Deleted
 
Cody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas101 View Post
id buy the shit out of those. not only do they look like something from batman, they also seem to add extra functionality to wheels.

you dont know how many times iver driven op to a 3 inch high chunk of wood and thought...now what

yup, or big ass potholes, raised manhole covers, etc
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 PM Cody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.