General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Bolix
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue

Badass guide thanks alot! I hope to take the MSF course this summer, or later this year once I get to college. I am really looking forward to picking up a Ninja 250

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SebG
SebTheDJ
Pierdolcie sie

Kawasaki Ninja ZX6E is a good potental for a begginers bike. ITs a 600CC sport tourer.

SebG
SebTheDJ
Pierdolcie sie

I wave to everybody, any biker out there.

Most of the times, its the harley people that dont wave back.

TheJesus
did somebody say buttsechs?

God damn, I want to get one, but my parents would fucking flip.

I have a question though, I'm a big motherfucker, and whenever I have tried just sizing myself on smaller bikes, I have found myself hunching over uncomfortably. I'm 6'1" and 245ish pounds, so I am wondering what kind of beginning beginning beginning bike would be good for me.

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJesus

I have a question though, I'm a big motherfucker, and whenever I have tried just sizing myself on smaller bikes, I have found myself hunching over uncomfortably. I'm 6'1" and 245ish pounds, so I am wondering what kind of beginning beginning beginning bike would be good for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph00ny
what about people that are way too tall/big to be riding in small bikes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldoin200
If size is an issue you'll probably need a sub-1000cc cruiser of some sort. My dad has a Suzuki Volusia 800, for instance, and it's very friendly and manageable. It might be a little heavy, but if you're too big for the bikes above then a little weight shouldn't be an issue. The advantage of cruisers is the HUGE array of accessories for them; you can stretch out with highway bars, add floorboards etc etc.

Other good options in this category are older Yamaha Virago's and Honda Magna's.

Passion > Precision

TheJesus

Quote:

I donno, cruiser just doesn't seem my style, if you get me.

TheFleshRocket
Sleeman for fagmin!

Quote:

My parents told me not to get a bike back when I was in college, so I just saved up every penny I could for a semester and bought one anyway. They were a bit pissy for a while, but when they realized I was serious about riding, they calmed down. I still get the "wear your gear and don't speed" lectures, but that's to be expected.

You'll probably want to start out on something a bit torquier than the average Ninja 250/500. The SV650 should fit the bill pretty nicely. You're not HUGE, so the bike's not going to be terribly slow by any means. You'll still be riding a bike that can click off low 12-second 1/4 mile times even with you on it, and top out around 135ish. My F2 didn't feel particularly slow, even saddled with about 200lbs of me and ~130lbs of passenger so the SV650 should do the trick for you. A Ninja 500 might be okay for you too, but you'll positively dwarf a 250.

A lot of the bigger guys I know graduate to liter-class twins, simply because they have some of the best low-end grunt this side of a large-displacement cruiser.

If you're looking into a cruiser as a starter bike instead, I'd recommend something around 800ccs since cruiser motors usually make about 1/2 to 2/3 the horsepower of a comparably sized sportbike engine.

TheFleshRocket
Sleeman for fagmin!

Quote:
I donno, cruiser just doesn't seem my style, if you get me.

If the SV650 is too sporty for you, perhaps you should look at a sport-standard. The Suzuki Bandit 600 offers more-upright ergoes and puts down around 75rwhp so it should be enough to get you moving but not be too dangerous. Then there's the Yamaha FZ6, which is basically an R6 with the engine tuned a bit more for torque, less plastic on it, and more comfortable ergoes. It puts down low 90s rwhp IIRC. It's a bit sportier and faster than the Bandit, and some of the guys here will argue that it's too much bike for a beginner.

If you like the idea of the SV650's torquey Vtwin but want a more comfortable chassis, Suzuki has stuffed that motor into the VStrom, which has much-more comfortable ergoes. It's a bit.. weird looking, but it ought to fit the bill for you as a rider.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...5/Default.aspx

TheFleshRocket
Sleeman for fagmin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3
I wave to everybody, any biker out there.
Most of the times, its the harley people that dont wave back.

I get that too, even when I'm on my cruiser. However, I think it's more because they don't pay as much attention rather than purposely trying to be rude. It's not like they look over at me and then choose not to wave; more often than not they just don't even look at me, like they've got their blinders on or something.

TheJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFleshRocket
If the SV650 is too sporty for you, perhaps you should look at a sport-standard. The Suzuki Bandit 600 offers more-upright ergoes and puts down around 75rwhp so it should be enough to get you moving but not be too dangerous. Then there's the Yamaha FZ6, which is basically an R6 with the engine tuned a bit more for torque, less plastic on it, and more comfortable ergoes. It puts down low 90s rwhp IIRC. It's a bit sportier and faster than the Bandit, and some of the guys here will argue that it's too much bike for a beginner.

If you like the idea of the SV650's torquey Vtwin but want a more comfortable chassis, Suzuki has stuffed that motor into the VStrom, which has much-more comfortable ergoes. It's a bit.. weird looking, but it ought to fit the bill for you as a rider.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...5/Default.aspx

Can you explain this a little more. I really want to know more.

TheJesus

Also, I need to know how much my insurance would be on one of these things, as an 18 year old male.

onewheeldoin200

Quote:
Also, I need to know how much my insurance would be on one of these things, as an 18 year old male.

Private insurane will be pretty expensive Your best bet is probably to just get liability and assume all damages to your your own bike out of pocket. The best thing to do is start calling around and getting quotes.

The V-Strom is in a class of bike called "Sport Adventure Touring"....which basically means it's made to do lots of highway, but isn't afraid of a few gravel/dirt roads. There's a nice little review on it here: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/DL650.html

To get that 650 though you'l have to buy either brand new or a year old I think. It used to only come with the 1000cc engine.

Additionally, you COULD buy riser handlebars and lower rearsets for that sv650 that would let you stretch out a bit. It would still be more than enough motor for you.

Passion > Precision

TheJesus

Quote:
I spend some years on GSXR-1100s, and this bike is more fun. Fewer religious experiences, however: on the GSXR, Jesus is there in most corners, and he's got a personal message for you. With this bike, you just ride and have fun.
That sounds good.

onewheeldoin200

Quote:
That sounds good.

Wow on first read I thought you meant you wanted to get a GSXR1100

I was about to jump down your throat OMGWTFBBQ

Passion > Precision

TheJesus

Quote:
Wow on first read I thought you meant you wanted to get a GSXR1100

I was about to jump down your throat OMGWTFBBQ

I'm fucking dumb, but not that fucking dumb.

Any other advice that you guys can give me? How to price shop? Where should I look locally for good deals? How hard is the licencing part? Registration and stuff like that? I really want to get something that I can ease into riding, and have fun with. Thanks guys, I know I am annoying as shit.