General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

VanFanel
THERE IS NO DATA HERE - NONE AT ALL! \o/

Brohamus - I got your Nixie Clock prototype - the VFD prototype would be even cooler!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Code: [M]ayhem

I sent my money still nothing MOTHERFUCKING TROLLED!

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFanel View Post
Brohamus - I got your Nixie Clock prototype - the VFD prototype would be even cooler!!
I'll warn you, it *is* a prototype. The thing looks like ass - crappy Olimex PCBs, a bad PCB that required me to run one of the VFD tube pins across the top of the clock, digits not lined up right as you can see in the picture.

And I never was much a fan of the appearance of the thing - if I was redoing it, I'd try to make the 'body' a bit smaller but wider. But if you really want it, 75 bucks?

Code: [M]ayhem

Where's my clock you fucking troll

VanFanel
THERE IS NO DATA HERE - NONE AT ALL! \o/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
I'll warn you, it *is* a prototype. The thing looks like ass - crappy Olimex PCBs, a bad PCB that required me to run one of the VFD tube pins across the top of the clock, digits not lined up right as you can see in the picture.

And I never was much a fan of the appearance of the thing - if I was redoing it, I'd try to make the 'body' a bit smaller but wider. But if you really want it, 75 bucks?

Oh well in that case... 3 MORE PEOPLE AND WE HAVE AN AWESOME VFD CLOCK!

Typhoon43

Quote:
I've found a guy interested in duing a gas swap, who believes it's possible to achieve a good blue color. If that works out, maybe I'll talk you into a modified nixie clock instead of a VFD.

Oh I will totally hang out for this. Keep me posted.

Forever Domon

Just swung by the wood store and got an awesome stick of jatoba out of the discount bin that will probably make 2 cases.

Will take a pic when i get home, its got awesome color

Would love to find some burled maple too, but no such luck

burled maple:

Forever Domon

since you're the guinea pig for the first design gee, what do you think of something with curved sides like this?

What are your preferences in terms of style? Modern and industrial looking (sharp edges, angles, etc), rounded and natural, old world victorian or edwardian, etc ?

gee

I have absolutely no idea right now. I'll ponder it, draw a couple of sketches and post 'em. About the only preference I have right now is "keep the box small" - seeing four small tubes poke out of a massive box doesn't look right to me.

It'll probably be tomorrow before I have anything to post. Figure since it's the girlfriend's birthday, I should probably not have my face in a project.

Spent last night arranging plans for that too, your clock's getting built on the weekend most likely...

Forever Domon

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea right now. I'll ponder it, draw a couple of sketches and post 'em. About the only preference I have right now is "keep the box small" - seeing four small tubes poke out of a massive box doesn't look right to me.

It'll probably be tomorrow before I have anything to post. Figure since it's the girlfriend's birthday, I should probably not have my face in a project.

Spent last night arranging plans for that too, your clock's getting built on the weekend most likely...
itll be small, sized to the board. Maximum of 3/4s of an inch outside of the circuit board dimension on each side, hopefully less

Forever Domon

Quote:

no hurry.

Forever Domon

here is the wood sample

Im liking it already

Last edited by Forever Domon; 07-18-2012 at 04:43 PM..

gee

First clock of the batch is done. Came into work early and got started, just finished it over lunch break. Cellphone camera picture doesn't really do it justice, the clock looks pretty sexy with the black PCBs. Glad I went with it.

Domon, PM me your address.

Forever Domon

are those rubber feet necessary for electrical isolation of any sort? I may experiment with and without the feet for fit.

Wood is a terrible conductor, but i could see potential problems at high voltage if the joints were touching a uniform plane of anything on the bottom.

Forever Domon

are those rubber feet necessary for electrical isolation of any sort? I may experiment with and without the feet for fit.

Wood is a terrible conductor, but i could see potential problems at high voltage if the joints were touching a uniform plane of anything on the bottom.