General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

lopoetve

Well, that was interesting. Mussels with white wine + butter.

So I decided to try and recreate one of my favorite dishes - steamed mussels in butter and wine sauce.

Thyme, Basil, olive oil, garlic, live mussels, white wine.

I have to admit that I've never cleaned live mussels before. It was pretty freaking disgusting, to be honest. Debearding almost made my girlfriend puke. I wasn't overly fond of it either. And these guys were pretty active - they kept trying to open their shells a bit, so every time you picked one up it moved.

Heat up a skillet, throw in the oil and garlic.

As soon as it starts to turn, throw in the mussels.

What surprised us is that they opened ~instantly~, and dumped water into the oil. Splatter time. Normally, from what I understand, you have to add more liquid to steam before they'll pop. These guys were open the moment they hit the oil. Probably had the pan too hot and flash boiled them. ~shudder~. Throw in the rest, stir for a moment, then pour in the wine and herbs.

Stew for a bit, then:

Woot. Smelled great.

Unfortunately, we realized we had no way of telling when they were done or not. Some looked overcooked, some looked undercooked, all looked pretty disgusting, and we'd already had to handle them and pull parts off and stuff... and we could see organs.

So she had some Taco Bell, I had some granola, and the mussels went into the bin. Last time I probably ever eat them - after this, I have zero interest in ever seeing one again.

Back to taco bell and burger king for the next 6 months for me! I hate cooking. Need to find a way of eating healthy that doesn't involve having to ever handle raw meat, cause I can't stand that shit.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

diearzte2

Put them in the freezer for a couple of minutes if they are being "active", though I'm having a hard time imagining what you're talking about, as they are bivalves and generally aren't known for being speedy.

Debearding is basically scraping the shell with a dull knife, how is that gag inducing?

The way I do it is bring white wine to a simmer, add the mussels and cover for about 5 minutes.

If the shells are open, they are cooked, there shouldn't be much guesswork involved. How did they look disgusting? Isn't this one of your favorite things to eat? Didn't it look exactly the same? Also, bivalves really don't have much in the way of organs, what were you seeing? From the picture they look extremely ordinary (and delicious).

This entire post confuses me. You threw away a pound or two of mussels to eat taco bell? And made a post about it?

Forever Domon

awww, good try though

Red_Rabbit

Yeah this whole post confuses me. Did you try looking up a recipe before making them? I'm made mussels like this many times and have never seen them "active", if they open up just tap them and they shut tight quickly, if they don't shut they are dead and should be thrown out. You seemed to have cooked them properly. And they look good in your picture.

asdsad
pwned

you could see organs? what were you expecting? they'd disappear after cooking..?

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Steamed clams are my fav. You can time their cooking usually, did you follow a recipe?

easy really, but you need to use a little less water. Also use a steam insert where they are over a grid, like those for steaming veggies. I need to get another one speaking of, lost mine when I moved.

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by diearzte2 View Post
Put them in the freezer for a couple of minutes if they are being "active", though I'm having a hard time imagining what you're talking about, as they are bivalves and generally aren't known for being speedy.
Well, they weren't exactly getting away, but they were opening/closing quite a bit
Quote:

Debearding is basically scraping the shell with a dull knife, how is that gag inducing?
It's grabbing the bissal threads and yanking.
Quote:
The way I do it is bring white wine to a simmer, add the mussels and cover for about 5 minutes.

If the shells are open, they are cooked, there shouldn't be much guesswork involved. How did they look disgusting? Isn't this one of your favorite things to eat? Didn't it look exactly the same? Also, bivalves really don't have much in the way of organs, what were you seeing? From the picture they look extremely ordinary (and delicious).

This entire post confuses me. You threw away a pound or two of mussels to eat taco bell? And made a post about it?
They can open before they're done, unlike clams. It was one of my favorite things - generally when I get them from somewhere, the shells are open and the entire mussel is folded over - all you see is a white thing. Several of these ... exploded. I won't be able to eat them again. Don't remember what it was I saw - I wikied up their internal anatomy and was able to identify parts of them, so at that point, out they went.

And yes, I made a post about it. The recipe sounded good, so I figured I'd share at least that part, even though I didn't eat the final product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Rabbit View Post
Yeah this whole post confuses me. Did you try looking up a recipe before making them? I'm made mussels like this many times and have never seen them "active", if they open up just tap them and they shut tight quickly, if they don't shut they are dead and should be thrown out. You seemed to have cooked them properly. And they look good in your picture.

About 30 of them, before picking one. And yeah, that's what they were doing, but most of them were also opening right up again afterwards. and one of them got himself attached to the bottom of the pan we were soaking them in too... looked like he wanted to set up shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Steamed clams are my fav. You can time their cooking usually, did you follow a recipe?

easy really, but you need to use a little less water. Also use a steam insert where they are over a grid, like those for steaming veggies. I need to get another one speaking of, lost mine when I moved.

No water in there - a bit of olive oil, a bunch of white wine, and a little bit of butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdsad View Post
you could see organs? what were you expecting? they'd disappear after cooking..?

Not to see organs.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

diearzte2

I'll paypal you the money if you cook a live lobster and make a video of the entire thing lol

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by diearzte2 View Post
I'll paypal you the money if you cook a live lobster and make a video of the entire thing lol

Ok. Probably won't eat it after that either (I have issues with my food lookng at me), but I can cook the ugly bastard
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

Butthole Eliminator

could you post the recipe? i want to see what went wrong. just like clams, mussels are done when they open up despite what you think

lopoetve

You cooking people are freaking insane.

I just tried to follow this recipe:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/fre...r/bl30105y.htm

3/4 Lb Salmon Steak, fresh caught Alaskan Sockeye. Love the stuff.
Put butter, a bit lemon/garlic on it, some pepper and salt, put it in the right pan, and threw it in to broil. Gave it 5" from the burners, as that's the best I could do.

It started a FIRE when the butter flashed up high enough and lit briefly. It had been in the oven for 3.5 minutes at this point. Pulled it out - outside was getting nicely browned, and the inside was totally raw.

Threw it back in to bake at 350. We'll see how it does. You all are insane - this isn't worth the effort or the money. I can get a good salmon dish from Chilis for the same amount I paid for this steak, and NOT have to go through this insanity (or have to run for my fire extinguisher).

edit: and yes, I'm sure it was raw. Cold, slimy, same as it had been fresh.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthole Eliminator View Post
could you post the recipe? i want to see what went wrong. just like clams, mussels are done when they open up despite what you think

I'll see if I can find it. I found several credible sources that said they might not be. Given that mine opened within seconds of hitting hte pan, I somehow doubt they were "done" that fast...

edit: Can't find it, never bookmarked it.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve View Post

Put butter, a bit lemon/garlic on it, some pepper and salt, put it in the right pan, and threw it in to broil. Gave it 5" from the burners, as that's the best I could do.

It started a FIRE when the butter flashed up high enough and lit briefly. It had been in the oven for 3.5 minutes at this point. Pulled it out - outside was getting nicely browned, and the inside was totally raw.

Threw it back in to bake at 350. We'll see how it does. You all are insane - this isn't worth the effort or the money. I can get a good salmon dish from Chilis for the same amount I paid for this steak, and NOT have to go through this insanity (or have to run for my fire extinguisher).

Everyone has a couple rough dishes as they learn, but what else are you going to do, eat out every meal for the rest of your life? Worth the effort to learn for most people.

I've never had butter catch fire in the oven, how heavy did you baste it on? And of course it was raw inside after only 3.5 minutes.

You gotta be careful with recipes online that involve broiling, it varies tremendously by oven. Might not be something to start out with.

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve View Post

after baking - came out freaking EXCELLENT. Way too much bloody effort, but really really tasty, minus the massive fireball.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Everyone has a couple rough dishes as they learn, but what else are you going to do, eat out every meal for the rest of your life? Worth the effort to learn for most people.

I've never had butter catch fire in the oven, how heavy did you baste it on? And of course it was raw inside after only 3.5 minutes.

You gotta be careful with recipes online that involve broiling, it varies tremendously by oven. Might not be something to start out with.

so I'm noticing. Looks like the broiler on mine is incredibly powerful. It was drizzled on, and then spread around with a spoon. a little bit drizzled off onto the pan, and that's what caught on fire. Need to keep it down a bit. Came out freaking great tasting though. This is one I'll try again and adjust a bit, because it's excellent.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.