General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
slurp slurp.

I assume that any white person who did not get into the college of his choice or a scholarship he earned because affirmative action gave that slot to someone less qualified means he did not get that college slot or that scholarship.

Wow fancy that.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post

It's funny how the national demographics almost completely line up with the college student demographics.

but yeah, I guess that totally proves you are right. dey bees keeping whitey down.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
slurp slurp

Damn you are insatiable.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
Or you know, black students being treated inferior to white students, even by black staff/faculty. It happened in my white-minority high school.

The educational race gap is a multifaceted problem for which there is no single solution, but I would bet that other issues (school funding, racism, poverty, overall shittiness of education system, etc) are much more significant factors than the typical scapegoat "black culture." I would rather address those issues first, as they benefit everyone, than try to fix something which may not even really be a problem.

more stereotype threat.

if you're sensitive to the point where if somebody tells you won't be able to do something and you just give up, you might as well commit suicide because the real world will not be kind to you...

topcat989

Quote:
Or you know, black students being treated inferior to white students, even by black staff/faculty. It happened in my white-minority high school.

The educational race gap is a multifaceted problem for which there is no single solution, but I would bet that other issues (school funding, racism, poverty, overall shittiness of education system, etc) are much more significant factors than the typical scapegoat "black culture." I would rather address those issues first, as they benefit everyone, than try to fix something which may not even really be a problem.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by augusttremulous View Post
a) speaking from your own personal experience as well, which does not mean it's accurate with the experiences of everyone else

b) generally it is less in-your-face now, and more in tiny ways constantly. it is a matter of pride to say "I'm so bad at math" or "I hate math," women say it all the time without even thinking, including teachers. They often don't realize the profound effect it can have on the students/kids. It's not like their one instance is necessarily going to suddenly make it so, but after you hear it often enough, you internalize it.

This is certainly true in my chemistry classes. I very rarely hear "I'm bad at math" or "I'm bad at science" from men, but constantly from women. And I'll admit without hesitation that I don't know how to relate to female students nearly as well, my experience is of course being male, and the "cool shit" that gets male students hooked doesn't have the same effect on most females. Extrapolate to the majority of science/math/engineering profs being male, and you can see how this might be an issue.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
stereotype threat...

oh lawd.

is it possible to entertain the idea woman as a group just hate math? if those particular woman are so horrendously effected by such minor remarks in passing, maybe they don't have any business in the math world, or higher education in general...

There have been a lot of studies on this, and suffice to say that your opinion is stupid and not held up by any sort of evidence. The idea that women are inherently bad at science/math/engineering does not hold up to controlled testing, and you can get a pretty good idea of what would need to change to start balancing the scales over time.

Last edited by Gibonius; 09-09-2011 at 07:43 PM..

5ive

I took a picture of this flyer that I found in my dorm last year

But redrum's right: gendering doesn't exist anymore
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

nothing wrong with gender specifics.... the majority of men want to be treated like men and the majority of women want to be treated like women....

it's the little-dicked homos and bull-dykes that piss and moan about it

5ive

But what does it mean to be "treated like women?" How is getting spa treatment inherently female and how are eating wings and watching 300 inherently male? Is it fair to restrict people to those guidelines?

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

Quote:
But what does it mean to be "treated like women?" Why is getting spa treatment inherently female and why are eating wings and watching 300 inherently male? Is it fair to restrict people to those guidelines?

except for the "watching 300" part it's all pretty spot on

i like beer and wings and sports and women love to be taken care of

5ive

I don't like beer and wings and sports, am I not a man? Have I somehow defied my biology?

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

Quote:
I don't like beer and wings and sports, am I not a man? Have I somehow defied my biology?

well, no, not really... but if you ever get into a serious relationship with a female you will understand

topcat989

Quote:
I took a picture of this flyer that I found in my dorm last year

But redrum's right: gendering doesn't exist anymore

Of course, being the little sniveling bitch you got all "offended" at it, didn't you?