General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

jaedon83

Cleaning method?

So I haven't posted anything since the Alaska State Troopers unjustly confiscated a bolt action .22 I found, but it seems that this forum could use some activity.

Recently, I have become dissatisfied with my cleaning rod setup and upgraded to a flexible coated rod as well purchasing one of those Hoppe's Boresnakes for my shotgun. I was impressed by the bore snake and am thinking of buying more.

What do you all use to clean? And, how do you like it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SmashingPumpkins

cheap set of hoppes with different brush attachements for different guns

coalesce

Hah. I was thinking about cleaning my GSG5 today. I only put 300 rounds through it but I feel like I've been neglecting it since I CAN'T FIND ANY FUCKING AMMO for it. This will be my first time ever cleaning a gun so I hope I don't fuck it up. I bought a bunch of Hoppe's stuff. A rod, brush tip, some other tip (is it for holding the cloth pads?), cloth pads, solvent and lube I think... I got a feeling this isn't going to be pretty.

TommyTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
Hah. I was thinking about cleaning my GSG5 today. I only put 300 rounds through it but I feel like I've been neglecting it since I CAN'T FIND ANY FUCKING AMMO for it. This will be my first time ever cleaning a gun so I hope I don't fuck it up. I bought a bunch of Hoppe's stuff. A rod, brush tip, some other tip (is it for holding the cloth pads?), cloth pads, solvent and lube I think... I got a feeling this isn't going to be pretty.

Can't find 22lr? Damn

The slotted tips are for holding patches. Its always best to clean from the bore to the muzzle. Please do some reading and maybe some youtube videos before you try cleaning your gun. I won't embarrass myself by telling you some of the shit I did when I was a new gun owner.

TommyTheCat

P.s. I love boresnakes.

Conna

Another vote for boresnake, easy and super efficient. In fact, the only thing that sucks about it's so good that everyone in your platoon is always wanting to borrow it.

jaedon83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
P.s. I love boresnakes.
Do you use it dry or with cleaner? If with cleaner, what type?

SmashingPumpkins

boresnakes are spendy as hell

but if i had cooler guns i'd use one

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

boresnakes are great for on-the-go cleaning but are not a replacement for the traditional brush/solvent/lube/patch treatment.

StarDeath13

Im pretty damn thorough cleaning my guns as most are used for ccw and need reliability.

1. Paper towel is used to pre-wipe all old lube off after disassembly.
2. Cleaning patches soaked in hoppes9 wiped over anything metal,never get around wooden grips.
3.Dip bore brush in the 9 and push in and out 2x.
4.Paper towel wipe everything dry.
5.I use TRI-FLOW lube wich works amazingly well.And put drops of oil on anything that is internal i cant reach with a patch.
6.Soak patches in oil and wipe every metal surface good,not forgetting the bore.
7.Leave it all wet with oil and i apply White Lithium grease to the external parts of the barrel and inside the slide where the breach may contact it.
8.Grease all the slide rails.
9.Reassemble it wet and once 100% back together wipe the outside dry with a towel and remove any excess oil.
10.let sit 10 minutes go back and rewipe as oil will seep out.

Cleaning and how much lube people use is all personal and subjective.Some will oil it and wipe it dry internally also,if you dont clean after every shooting session this may be best.
My way wich is considered "wet" lubed requires you clean the gun after shooting it every time as all that oil and grease gets dirty and holds onto dirt and debris.

I have been told some guns require wet or dry types of being lubed to work properly.Ive not ran into this personally.
And with todays lubes just because it looks dry doesn't mean it isn't lubed.The TriFlow i use when wiped dry will make car wax bead up and not apply to the metal surface.

TommyTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaedon83 View Post
Do you use it dry or with cleaner? If with cleaner, what type?

Wet, don't soak the whole thing though. I mainly wet the brush portion and spritz the rest. I use CLP(Any store that carries guns will have it, including walmart)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
boresnakes are great for on-the-go cleaning but are not a replacement for the traditional brush/solvent/lube/patch treatment.

I don't see how? You have a brush that covers the same area as a traditional brush, and a patch like tail with much more surface area than a normal patch. I am not trolling, honestly asking.

However, the only guns I am anal about cleaning are the ones that shoot BP. So that may tell you something.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Wet, don't soak the whole thing though. I mainly wet the brush portion and spritz the rest. I use CLP(Any store that carries guns will have it, including walmart)

I don't see how? You have a brush that covers the same area as a traditional brush, and a patch like tail with much more surface area than a normal patch. I am not trolling, honestly asking.

However, the only guns I am anal about cleaning are the ones that shoot BP. So that may tell you something.

the brush part is fine, but the cotton part of the boresnake can't replace disposible cotton patches. I see how clean they are getting and that decides how many more patches i need to run through it. i use patches for cleaning the other parts of the gun besides the barrel also, and the boresnake doesn't do anything. honestly, at least for me, the barrel is the most simple part of the gun to clean. the chamber and frame (and all moving parts) are what i pay the most attention to. i used to use Breakfree to hose down all the parts and barrel, Hoppes #9 for solvent, and CLP for oil. Now i use Militec oil instead of CLP, it seems to work a little better.

TommyTheCat

Oh yea I use brushes and rags for the rest of the gun, when I feel like cleaning them.

Like I said, my BP cowboy guns are the only guns I am anal about, because of the salts. And the case hardening rusts so much quicker than the bluing.