General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.
 
:ninja:'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copejunkie View Post
honestly, if I was pretty sure someone or something would make a threat at my life or well being, then i wouldn't want any make or model of a gun whose caliber wasn't .40, .41, .42, .44, .45 or larger

Stacked to the brim with any form of Solid, Partition, or Bonded Bullet, and in the heaviest grain you can get it.

Are you hunting deer or using it as self defense against other humans?

Are you implying that a 9mm could not defend you against another human? How is that possible?
__________________
Use Linux and BSD
Old 10-11-2009, 11:56 AM :ninja: is offline  
Reply With Quote
#91  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U
 
Heathen-Yak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
Are you hunting deer or using it as self defense against other humans?

Are you implying that a 9mm could not defend you against another human? How is that possible?

Yah that sounds like a hunting choice. you don't want a bonded bullet or partition bullet for self defense. You want something that's going to separate as much as possible.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:12 PM Heathen-Yak is offline  
Reply With Quote
#92  

Pudah
 
Pudah's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador Herz View Post
Applying for an FFL tomorrow and leaning heavily towards the CZ-82. You guys have had a very large helping hand in this situation. Cheers to everyone that's posted.
FFL?

Are you looking to sell guns or buy things online or carry a concealed weapon?
__________________
__ |7 (_) [) /\ |-| __

Founding [M]ember of the Blizzard in my sig club.
Blizzard Entertainment
131 Theory
Irvine, CA 92612
Old 10-12-2009, 12:16 AM Pudah is offline  
Reply With Quote
#93  

Sarcasmo
This is my Haiku
 
Sarcasmo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
Are you hunting deer or using it as self defense against other humans?

Are you implying that a 9mm could not defend you against another human? How is that possible?

It's a well known fact that no one has ever been killed by a 9mm round, and that in 97% of cases the 9mm round actually ricocheted back into the shooter's eye.
__________________
The universe could very well have been created 10,000 years ago (or 100 years ago, for that matter). - Mike27
Old 10-12-2009, 08:05 AM Sarcasmo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#94  

Pudah
 
Pudah's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmo View Post
It's a well known fact that no one has ever been killed by a 9mm round, and that in 97% of cases the 9mm round actually ricocheted back into the shooter's eye.


Indeed a fact.
__________________
__ |7 (_) [) /\ |-| __

Founding [M]ember of the Blizzard in my sig club.
Blizzard Entertainment
131 Theory
Irvine, CA 92612
Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 PM Pudah is offline  
Reply With Quote
#95  

StarDeath13
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen-Yak View Post
Yah that sounds like a hunting choice. you don't want a bonded bullet or partition bullet for self defense. You want something that's going to separate as much as possible.
I prefer a bonded round for SD,its now a popular item with SD ammo makers.Since the jacket and lead don't separate it generally will penetrate farther in a larger package.
If you look at Double Taps ammo selection the bonded bullets are popular.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:24 PM StarDeath13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#96  

Copejunkie
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
Are you hunting deer or using it as self defense against other humans?

Are you implying that a 9mm could not defend you against another human? How is that possible?

Well, last time I checked, the purpose of hunting isn't very different from the ideas behind self defense.. And the way I look at it, I would rather have a bullet that stays together and creates TWO holes, while also have the ability of hitting the spine, rather than one hole that may or may not even make it past some bones...

I am not implying that a 9mm cannot... and i am not also say that a .17 won't either. Just because I don't like your bullet, please don't be offended... I hate .270s too. That my opinion. In fact, if I could, I would carry a rifle around with me at all times for SD. and not an ought-six, or a 223, but a 45-70, hell even a 458, 700 nitro. 950JDJ... get where I am going here?. but that would be a little cumbersome


Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen-Yak View Post
Yah that sounds like a hunting choice. you don't want a bonded bullet or partition bullet for self defense. You want something that's going to separate as much as possible.

Last time I checked, when you shot at something in hunting you weren't shooting at it just for the fuck of it, or just to wound it so it could crawl off... how is this any different from Self Defense?

In hunting, isn't shot placement key? I think its the same way in SD

Go see what kinds of bullets the guys that hunt dangerous game are shooting... and see how many hollowpoints, or JHP you come up with... They are hunting with Partition, Bonded, Thick Heavily jacketed solids, and things along that line..

Cause the way I see things, if your bullet expands and stops when it hits a rib, or while still in the skull... then you have one hole to bleed out of... but if you use a good bullet that doesn't expand as much, and holds together long enough to push on through to the other side... and two holes > one hole... or maybe the next time a grizzly bear attacks me I will just pump 12 rounds of +p+ JHP 9mm into his furry ass and pray that my bullets fly apart enough in him and stop him before he eats my face off

You can do whatever you want to, but I like my ideas a little better
__________________
A.K.A - Copejunkie

ZzNU|gHub|mizVPpIlnw

ba0c6bd47ccbfd90d8e81ee92406586a [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 PM Copejunkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
#97  

StarDeath13
 
Quote:
or maybe the next time a grizzly bear attacks me I will just pump 12 rounds of +p+ JHP 9mm into his furry ass and pray that my bullets fly apart enough in him and stop him before he eats my face off
If your shooting a grizzley with a 9mm your fucked,running is a much better option.
Ive heard of people having 9mm bouncing off wild pigs skulls and it barely breaking the threw the hide on bears.
We all know handguns suck even for shooting humans,or we should.That goes triple for shooting four legged animals that weigh 5x more.

In all honesty id carry a 12 guage with rifled slugs for SD if i could,and in 3" magnum cause i can.
I do hear people like hot loaded 10mm for woods guns,but on a bear you should use a wad cutter hard cast round.Even then id just turn and shoot while running just in case. lol
Old 10-13-2009, 04:46 PM StarDeath13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#98  

Phil Taylor
I'll be back
 
Phil Taylor's Avatar
 
your country is awesome sometimes.

if 5 guys came at me with a charging dog i wouldn't be allowed to do much, especially shoot to protect myself. if i did that i'd go to jail for 5 years, maybe longer.

edit: then again, we don't really have 5 guys with dogs who want to cause trouble, even in the roughest areas of my city.
__________________
~

nigga, you just made me click "go advanced"...

Last edited by Phil Taylor; 10-14-2009 at 08:59 AM..
Old 10-14-2009, 08:46 AM Phil Taylor is offline  
Reply With Quote
#99  

Trachei
 
Trachei's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copejunkie View Post
Well, last time I checked, the purpose of hunting isn't very different from the ideas behind self defense.. And the way I look at it, I would rather have a bullet that stays together and creates TWO holes, while also have the ability of hitting the spine, rather than one hole that may or may not even make it past some bones...

I am not implying that a 9mm cannot... and i am not also say that a .17 won't either. Just because I don't like your bullet, please don't be offended... I hate .270s too. That my opinion. In fact, if I could, I would carry a rifle around with me at all times for SD. and not an ought-six, or a 223, but a 45-70, hell even a 458, 700 nitro. 950JDJ... get where I am going here?. but that would be a little cumbersome




Last time I checked, when you shot at something in hunting you weren't shooting at it just for the fuck of it, or just to wound it so it could crawl off... how is this any different from Self Defense?

In hunting, isn't shot placement key? I think its the same way in SD

Go see what kinds of bullets the guys that hunt dangerous game are shooting... and see how many hollowpoints, or JHP you come up with... They are hunting with Partition, Bonded, Thick Heavily jacketed solids, and things along that line..

Cause the way I see things, if your bullet expands and stops when it hits a rib, or while still in the skull... then you have one hole to bleed out of... but if you use a good bullet that doesn't expand as much, and holds together long enough to push on through to the other side... and two holes > one hole... or maybe the next time a grizzly bear attacks me I will just pump 12 rounds of +p+ JHP 9mm into his furry ass and pray that my bullets fly apart enough in him and stop him before he eats my face off

You can do whatever you want to, but I like my ideas a little better

But you won't have the same stopping power if the bullet is going through him. If all the energy is released on your target vs. the bullet going through, then you may do better in a close situation. At least IMO
Old 10-14-2009, 01:05 PM Trachei is offline  
Reply With Quote
#100  

Copejunkie
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachei View Post
But you won't have the same stopping power if the bullet is going through him. If all the energy is released on your target vs. the bullet going through, then you may do better in a close situation. At least IMO

if i exert the full energy of my bullet straight through and out the other side of a vital area, especially the skull, i would like to believe that it would alter things.. at least a little bit in my favor..

its not like i, nor anyone else, will ever have a pistol that will throw someone 50 yards away when you shoot them, so what are you talking about when you say "Stopping power".. i assume you think of stopping power as the amount of energy that the bullet exerts upon hitting the target?
__________________
A.K.A - Copejunkie

ZzNU|gHub|mizVPpIlnw

ba0c6bd47ccbfd90d8e81ee92406586a [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 PM Copejunkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
#101  

Copejunkie
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDeath13 View Post
If your shooting a grizzley with a 9mm your fucked,running is a much better option.
Ive heard of people having 9mm bouncing off wild pigs skulls and it barely breaking the threw the hide on bears.
We all know handguns suck even for shooting humans,or we should.That goes triple for shooting four legged animals that weigh 5x more.

In all honesty id carry a 12 guage with rifled slugs for SD if i could,and in 3" magnum cause i can.
I do hear people like hot loaded 10mm for woods guns,but on a bear you should use a wad cutter hard cast round.Even then id just turn and shoot while running just in case. lol

I was saying that very sardonically... hence the , i wouldn't be dumb enough to go bear hunting without a 44mag on my side, with very heavy round nose, solids in it, and get good at shooting it.

If a grizzly is charging you, you're better off trying to get your shot off then... cause if you run, well it will just run you down...theres a story i heard about some hunter in alaska being charged by a grizzly starting from like 75 yards or better... and he slowly backed while firing, and he finally got it in the spine on the last shot at about 5 yards (iirc he has ballistic tips) and the bear knocked him over and down as it rolled up to him .. animals can cover so much ground very very quickly.. go watch some hog hunting videos. them little fuckers can scoot.
__________________
A.K.A - Copejunkie

ZzNU|gHub|mizVPpIlnw

ba0c6bd47ccbfd90d8e81ee92406586a [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM Copejunkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
#102  

Tazman0072
 
Theres a story of a guy who got shot by a 45 9 times before going down. You can kill with a 22 its all about placement. I prefer 9mm because capacity > my aim when I'm in a stressful situation and thus shaking those 45s are long gone before I even can aim properly sooooooo. Anyways. Grizzly is 10mm or a higher end rifle round like a 7.62 or higher. I myself bought a .308 for that as 10mm is just not a option right now!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:34 PM Tazman0072 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#103  

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday
 
CommiePunk's Avatar
 
as far as different types of rounds go, the most important factors are penetration and expansion. You need to have both, to create the biggest type of wound possible. You're not going to kill unless they either bleed out or you hit a vital organ.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:10 AM CommiePunk is offline  
Reply With Quote
#104  

Sarcasmo
This is my Haiku
 
Sarcasmo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman0072 View Post
Theres a story of a guy who got shot by a 45 9 times before going down. You can kill with a 22 its all about placement. I prefer 9mm because capacity > my aim when I'm in a stressful situation and thus shaking those 45s are long gone before I even can aim properly sooooooo. Anyways. Grizzly is 10mm or a higher end rifle round like a 7.62 or higher. I myself bought a .308 for that as 10mm is just not a option right now!

There isn't much of a capacity difference when you get a 13-round mag for your .45.
__________________
The universe could very well have been created 10,000 years ago (or 100 years ago, for that matter). - Mike27
Old 10-16-2009, 07:58 AM Sarcasmo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#105  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.