General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Kirby

Bad ammo or Gun problem? Pics!

I was at the range today and had a couple of failure to fires which is a first with the Winchester white box ammo and my gun. Is my firing pin just not making a big enough mark on the round or is it because these bullets are cheap target loads and aren't that reliable?

Failure to fire round is on the right.

See dat one on the right

Should that round have fired? With the other rounds that misfired I was able to load them back up and shoot them which makes me think it could be something wrong with my firing pin/hammer springs.

For those wondering, the gun was a Sig P226 with about 1500 rounds through her.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tazman0072

I never had a issue with winchester white box with my low mileage P228. That dimple does look a bit weaker then the left bullet. Are you sure it only has 1500 rounds through her?

Kirby

Yup. I bought it new. How do you knock out the pin that holds the firing pin and assembly in place? I've been trying for the last 20 min with a hammer and a punch tool. I think I'm just making it worse.

Tazman0072

Go to sigforum.com and ask. They have a armorer section for stuff like this!

dagamore

looks like a light primer strike, even though its new take ti to a gun smith and have them make sure the firing pin is moving freely and that the spring on the hammer is the right one.

punisher

I had this problem on pistols that had low tension mainsprings/hammer springs installed, and then only with Remington primers. It has been awhile since I owned a Sig (220) but it seems like with the slide off you should be able to depress any pin locks/safeties and use a pick to press the firing pin to check for binding/stoppage.

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

I've prob shot well over 15,000 rounds of WWB and never had a Failure to Fire. Probably your spring tension, get it looked at by a gunsmith.