General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ceejamon
Ignore this post

New commuting car opinions

I spend almost 2 hours a day in my car, and it's fucking time I bought something nicer. The options are a bit overwhelming, so I thought I'd get some initial opinions before I go test drive 50 different makes and models.

Needs:
1) Gas mileage. The more, the better. My 2009 Ford Focus has 32,000 miles on it.
2) Roomier than what I've got, but not huge. I'm a broad-shouldered guy, and this Focus is just too damn small for me.
3) Extras. I want leather, heated seats, a decent stereo, iPhone docking options, bluetooth, good navigation system, etc. I realize most of this is an option on a lot of cars.
4) Price. I want to spend less than $35,000. My preference would be to keep it below $30,000 not counting taxes & stuff.
5) Quality. Obviously, I don't want something that looks, feels, or will turn into junk. I want to keep this car for 5 years before upgrading again.

Things I don't care about:
1) Speed. It by nature goes against #1 of my wants, and all that horsepower is wasted when I spend 30 minutes a day crawling along the DC beltway.
2) Brand recognition.
3) Car vs. SUV. I'd consider a small SUV if the price and mileage were right.

Cars currently considering, but haven't driven yet:
1) Mercury Milan. Love Sync. Like the interior pics.
2) Honda Accord. Drove a friend's Civic fully upgraded last night, and a bump up from that in size very well might fit the bill.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

My uncle got himself a 2010 Accord, and its really friggin nice.

How about a Lexus ES350? Invoice its 32k.

theWITNESS

I just got a 2010 Nissan Altima. The 2.5SL or the 3.5SR should suit you nicely... Bose stereo, iPod connectivity, comfy seats, and it's roomy as hell.

The 3.5 has like 270 horsepower, more than adequate. I have the 2.5; which I find a bit slow but it's very smooth and still an adequate engine.

Rapier

TSX. It has all the features you specified and it'll come out to around 32k in total cost (including delivery fee, taxes and fees) upfront.

Oh...navigation. Well in that case...I dunno.

Civic EX-L with navigation? That'll be way cheaper and you get everything you listed.

Edit: Actually the Civic has about the same interior space...

Uh...hmm.

Yeah, I guess the Accord would fit the bill. Keep in mind that it's considered a full size car rather than a midsized sedan, so it'll be way bigger than your friend's Civic.

DvBoard

Test drive, test drive, test drive. See if they'll let you keep it for 24 hours and take the cars on your actual trip.

Others to look at:
Chevy Malibu
Ford Fusion (or Fusion Hybrid)
Ford Taurus

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

if you're driving that much go drive a diesel, you'll save a LOT of money if you're getting 40+mpg comapred to all the other listed options that will be lucky to break 30 on the freeway.

mercedes has some nice options that you can get into for ~35k, bmw too, the vw sport wagons are a lot less but a huge step up from your focus

canker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvBoard View Post

Ford Fusion (or Fusion Hybrid)

start with that one
irc.slashnet.org #cartalk

Rapier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongboy View Post
if you're driving that much go drive a diesel, you'll save a LOT of money if you're getting 40+mpg comapred to all the other listed options that will be lucky to break 30 on the freeway.

mercedes has some nice options that you can get into for ~35k, bmw too, the vw sport wagons are a lot less but a huge step up from your focus
The cheapest BMW diesel is the 335d and it stickers at 40.3k. Mercedes' offerings are even more expensive.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

+1 to diesel; I'd go for a used VW if I were OP

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

If you want a comfortable commuter car and can live without stuff like ipod integration at least from the factory, get yourself a Mercury Grand Marquis. Hell one year used with barely any miles will cost you less than half your budget. IMHO better ride than any BMW, Mercedes, or VW. American cars, imho, are American cars especially Caddys.

Thats where I stand. I used to have a Marquis, and as god as my witness, if I ever commute to work, ill get another.

Last edited by Lurker; 12-26-2009 at 05:11 PM..

c3imny

I know I'm going to get shit for this but a loaded 2011/2010 buick lacross cxl (AWD) will run u sub 30k (bunch of discount - don't pay attention to MSRP people have been getting these for 25k loaded lol) and it's really fucking nice for the money

http://www.buick.com/vehicles/2010/lacrosse/overview.do

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3imny View Post
I know I'm going to get shit for this but a loaded 2011/2010 buick lacross cxl (AWD) will run u sub 30k (bunch of discount - don't pay attention to MSRP people have been getting these for 25k loaded lol) and it's really fucking nice for the money

http://www.buick.com/vehicles/2010/lacrosse/overview.do

It makes me feel dirty to say this, but the Buick is worth looking at. So is a Ford Fusion. And if you really care about mileage, I'd look at the Jetta TDI. If you're looking right now, I know BMW has a $4500 credit on the 335d so you might be able to get a good deal on a MY2009 335d. And then of course there's the obvious Toyota/Honda/Nissan to look at.

It really can't hurt to do a lot of test driving, just take a weekend and a notepad/pen and get to business.

Social Misfit
pwned

2010 Ford Fusion? Motor Trend Car of the Year.

theWITNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongboy View Post

Merc doesn't have a B or C-Class diesel, as far as I know. The cheapest diesel is the E320 Bluetec, isn't it?

How about an A4 2.0T Quattro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWITNESS View Post
Merc doesn't have a B or C-Class diesel, as far as I know. The cheapest diesel is the E320 Bluetec, isn't it?

How about an A4 2.0T Quattro?

The US site doesn't even show an E320 Bluetec, is that Euro-only? Looks like the only two US-available luxury diesel cars are the 335d and the A3 TDI. I'm not sure of the dimensions on an A3 TDI, but that might be worth checking out as well.