General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Klypr
Pittsburgh Poz
 
Klypr's Avatar
 
Quick Stereo Question

I'm ripping out the shitty Bose system in my 03 Maxima and had a quick question before ordering the last part I need to complete the setup (rear door speakers).

The amp on my receiver is rated at 45w RMS and the speakers I want are 35w RMS, 100W peak. Will this cause any issues other than possibly the longevity of the speaker? The receiver has gain controls for each of the 4 channels so I'm assuming it will be fine as long as I back off a little on the rears. Am I correct?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:32 AM Klypr is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Typhoon43
 
Typhoon43's Avatar
 
You'll be fine man.
__________________
I'm the King of Wishful Thinking.....
Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 AM Typhoon43 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH
 
gee's Avatar
 
Heads do 45Wrms/channel now? I guess the spec war now has them doing "CD with a square wave on it" RMS power calculation.

Ultimately they're still driving the speakers with a BTL amplifier off the vehicle voltage, which restricts the speaker voltage to about +-12V, or about 36 watts peak (or 36 watts RMS assuming a square wave) into 4 ohms. Off a 14.4V vehicle voltage, yeah, I can see that inching up to 45 watts.

If the music you're playing isn't completely distorted by your receiver, worst case RMS music power you'll get out of a head unit is around 6-8 watts. You'll be fine.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 AM gee is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

Klypr
Pittsburgh Poz
 
Klypr's Avatar
 
The receiver is an Alpine CDA-9886 and I will be installing Alpine's KTP-445 "Power Pack" amplifier which increases each channel's output to 45w.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:09 AM Klypr is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH
 
gee's Avatar
 
You'll still be fine. 70 watts RMS of music power in an enclosed vehicle cabin, even with infinite baffle car speakers, will be pretty much unbearable.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 AM gee is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klypr View Post
I'm ripping out the shitty Bose system in my 03 Maxima and had a quick question before ordering the last part I need to complete the setup (rear door speakers).

The amp on my receiver is rated at 45w RMS and the speakers I want are 35w RMS, 100W peak. Will this cause any issues other than possibly the longevity of the speaker? The receiver has gain controls for each of the 4 channels so I'm assuming it will be fine as long as I back off a little on the rears. Am I correct?

Nah you're fine. Those can handle up to 100w before incurring physical damage, in theory, right? And the head unit can do only 45w, and that's it. Chances are you won't be turning it all the way up anyway. Either way you'll hear the point at which it becomes too much for the speakers if you get there and i don't think you will with this set-up.

What speakers are you considering?
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 12-29-2009, 01:40 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

Klypr
Pittsburgh Poz
 
Klypr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Nah you're fine. Those can handle up to 100w before incurring physical damage, in theory, right? And the head unit can do only 45w, and that's it. Chances are you won't be turning it all the way up anyway. Either way you'll hear the point at which it becomes too much for the speakers if you get there and i don't think you will with this set-up.

What speakers are you considering?

I already bought the front components. Boston Acoustics SX65's. I am going to buy the Boston S55 2-way's for the rear doors.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:27 AM Klypr is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klypr View Post
I already bought the front components. Boston Acoustics SX65's. I am going to buy the Boston S55 2-way's for the rear doors.

Waste of money unless you're showing properties and need some subdued jazz in the background for your clients.

If you never really have rear passengers, don't do it
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 12-31-2009, 05:05 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:30 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.