General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Friend picked up a new subie

98 Impreza L, 240k on it. Paid 3,600. Drove 300 miles round trip to get it. Previous week we drove to Fresno (~380 mi rd trip) and walked because the car was an epic pile of OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG shit that this seller actually knew about, the guys been trying to sell it for like a year now...

... to replace his ~320hp cobb'ed/exhaust/dp/intake-ed/cf trunked de-winged murdered out STi

Yes the wheels are ridiculous, (Friend found a couple of roaches in the center console during the test drive, owner was like "Those aren't mine") but these tires actually have tread. The previous owner put the hood on it, along with some axle back exhaust system that sounds not too awful, STi rear swaybar, front ebay strut tower brace, few other odds and ends. Also included a set of gold (painted) WRX 16's which my friend is selling.

His plans for it are kind of weird, he wants to "baja it out..." Lift it, get some burly wheels with some knobby tires. Motor? His original plan was to get a TT motor from eBay for dirt cheap and figure out engine management somehow. Now he wants to do a 2.5 with 2.0 heads and some kind of monster turbo. He's out of his mind, and already balls deep in debt so it's kind of a foolish endeavor. But getting rid of the STi is probably a wise choice.

He's a big skimboarder and will be in Mexico a lot, so having a durable well built car that can handle potholes/ perhaps "baja-ing" to a certain extent This video is his inspiration for the project I guess... he watches it a lot and probably masturbates to it...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

My buddy bought a bug eye wrx wagon with half the miles for 3k in mint condition. You got ripped off.

Furthermore, if he plans to do all these mods why not just look for a car with a blown engine?

Can someone also explain the green wheel thing to me, theres a guy running around here with the same color motif on his audi wagon.

Last edited by Lurker; 12-29-2009 at 09:02 PM..

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
My buddy bought a bug eye wrx wagon with half the miles for 3k in mint condition. You got ripped off.

you're so full of shit it's going to make my head explode

bluebook on an 02 wrx wagon with 120,000 miles in good condition in 94028 is between 9,250 and 10,500

so either you stole the thing, or you only got a front cut, or you're full of shit, or you're just a massive troll.

This is what these cars go for around here, at this time of year. Ideally my friend would be buying this AFTER the ski season when they aren't in demand.

I'll even go a step further and tell you this: The cheapest WRX Wagon we could find had 160,000 mi on it, SALVAGE title due to HAIL (do you know how much baseball sized hail we get in CA? none...) was going for a cunthair under 7 grand.

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike

if youre gonna rally it anyway, keep the wheels for mad style points

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

It's slim pickins... the only two subarus we checked out were 150+ miles away... They're all either Legacies, or Foresters, or automatic.

Reason we didn't buy a roller is because he needs it as his daily driver. Why hes making it into a project car is beyond me.

Oh... the previous owner did water pump + timing belt himself, and provided receipts for the parts... whatever... it runs. But it was a little suspicious... he dumped all this money into it... hood, swaybar, wheels, green spraypaint, timing belt + WP, sold it after only 7,000 miles.

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 12-29-2009 at 09:27 PM..

AtomicFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

Furthermore, if he plans to do all these mods why not just look for a car with a blown engine?

Can someone also explain the green wheel thing to me, theres a guy running around here with the same color motif on his audi wagon.

Yeah, okay whatever. I've been searching for a bugeye wagon for over a year. The only ones you can get for anywhere near 3k are ones with blown motors. Usually they go for between 6-8k in decent condition, closer to 10k in good condition.

claffix

Does your buddy realize you are speaking from experience when you say its a foolish endeavor to take out a loan to do an engine swap on a subaru?

I like my girls like I like my bikes: fast, naked, and barely legal.

Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and reckless steals the show.

SmashingPumpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by claffix View Post
Does your buddy realize you are speaking from experience when you say its a foolish endeavor to take out a loan to do an engine swap on a subaru?

TSRH!!!!!!!!!!!

but yeah baja style subarus are my favorite by far and are very versatile

4byTacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by claffix View Post

Damnit, you beat me to it. Ghetto should be the last person to call a person out in regards to money management.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Uhh... So far I haven't been bitten in the ass by my decision... Making a project car out of your DD is a known bad-move. I think anyone here would agree. That's why I said what I said.

Move past it you clods. I came out with a car thats better than 75% of the shit buckets you s drive with no consequences and a minimal monthly fee.

My other option of course would have been to finance an STi. I'd be paying $600/mo for like five years.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

any useful links or info you guys might have would be very helpful... right now he's wheel+ tire shopping and needs advice on what to get.

He was going to cheap out and get some stylish ricey piece of shit 17" OZ wheels but I told him to follow rally builds of teams that do those backwoods oregon rallies, build his car based on how they build them...

He does have the storage space and funds to run multiple sets of wheels + tires, so he could have these green spraypainted steelies be his DD set and he could get some nice burly wheels + knobby tires for when he eventually does get off road. He also needs advice on roll cages.

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

for lifting it stock WRX or forester suspension will work on the cheap and aftermarket forester suspension is even better

twin turbo JDM legacy motors wont fit, that's like the first fucking thing you learn about these cars, and those motors suck my dick anyway

2.5 with 2.0 heads sounds fucking stupid, you get the low revs of the EJ255 with the shitty flow of the EJ205 and the combustion chambers are the wrong size to boot

monster turbo? have fun with either an expensive rotated kit or pain in the ass aggressive inlet fitment under the intake manifold, and good luck not blowing everything to pieces. unless I missed a memo and a TD05-20G is an OH FUCK MONSTER TURBO now

hider

you can get pretty good Rota wheel/tire combos from wheeldude.com. They look nice and aren't expensive at all.

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

if you want offroad tires have fucking fun finding anything worthwhile that isn't 15"

you don't have to clear brembos, so go with some 15's so you can run rally tires or even small all terrains

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
for lifting it stock WRX or forester suspension will work on the cheap and aftermarket forester suspension is even better

twin turbo JDM legacy motors wont fit, that's like the first fucking thing you learn about these cars, and those motors suck my dick anyway

2.5 with 2.0 heads sounds fucking stupid, you get the low revs of the EJ255 with the shitty flow of the EJ205 and the combustion chambers are the wrong size to boot

monster turbo? have fun with either an expensive rotated kit or pain in the ass aggressive inlet fitment under the intake manifold, and good luck not blowing everything to pieces. unless I missed a memo and a TD05-20G is an OH FUCK MONSTER TURBO now

My suggestion was either the TT motor (which I know nothing about) simply because they're dirt fucking cheap) and yes I did know that it would require firewall gutting

OR

a simple USDM wrx swap. and leave it the fuck alone. I also said he might want to think about grabbing a totaled STi, (the huge bonus there would be the bulletproof tranny) but I don't know if his cashflow will allow for that.