General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Speaking of cars that aren't easy to turbocharge reliably, I shouldn't have to point out your own passion for them.

Ps. what happened?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spyder View Post
For some strange reason I think a 350hp 2600 pound FD might just beat your M5 2 ton giant...

Plus facebook= check my status. I am going to kill something. Most likely a tree...

let's do it once a week then and take the average, not running = loss

edplayer
no

I would never recommend that anyone supercharge an E36 M3. I have read about lots of people complaining about their kits

Turbo is different in that you can buy kits that have nothing but praise. Number one example is Technique Tuning

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by edplayer View Post
I would never recommend that anyone supercharge an E36 M3. I have read about lots of people complaining about their kits

Turbo is different in that you can buy kits that have nothing but praise. Number one example is Technique Tuning

What are they complaining about? News to me. Better tell Dinan, VF, and like 5 other companies to stop doing it.

Thats the most common thing to do to an e36 m3. It's bolt on and simple. The forged internals do a good job despite the high compression. Until you change that the boost has to be kinda low, yes, but what do you expect? Low compression pistons isn't exactly a lot of ultra expensive work if you want to get serious.

yes, power is good but a car that pivots around you to go where you want and seems connected to your brain through ESP is fun without having 10 liters. I can only imagine another 100hp from a small SC, no wonder they are so popular. It's like Krbaap's miata. Sure he could have gone turbo but the sc is easier. For one you don't need a new exhaust before you get to try it out on a freeway.

having said all that I would probably go turbo if I got wealthy and bored

edplayer
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
What are they complaining about? News to me.

mostly tuning and driveability

Quote:
Better tell Dinan, VF, and like 5 other companies to stop doing it.

Why? It has nothing to do with me.

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

[H]ard|On

How is tuning for SC any harder than turbo and how does it affect driveability aside from having more power?

edplayer
no

Quote:
How is tuning for SC any harder than turbo and how does it affect driveability aside from having more power?

Ask the guys on the forced induction subforum over at bfc

I didn't say that tuning was harder for a supercharger. I said I wouldn't recommend any of the kits. I specifically mentioned one company for a turbo kit. Run some searches on them over there and see what kind of feedback they get.

[H]ard|On

What you mean threads like these?

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...t=46614&page=4

The SC kits that had bad tuning, were they from RMS? Some were notorious for having bad programming, sure. Doesn't say anything about supercharging in general.

I'd love to go this route for instance -

http://www.aatuning.com/viewproduct.aspx?id=Product21

Key Features
HKS GTS8550 supercharger
Mounting bracket, pulleys and belt
6 larger high-flow fuel injectors
ACTIVE Air Filter
Active Autowerke Dyno-Tuned Software
All mounting hardware, plumbing, hoses and clamps
Illustrated instruction manual & installation guide
2 Year Warranty with free tech support

Performance Specs
Power : 360 BHP @ 6900 rpm
Torque : 300 ft-lbs @ 5700 rpm
Boost Level : 7.0 psi

$4,900

edplayer
no

I think that RMS has a reputation so terrible, that they really should not even be a consideration.

I was talking about AA and VF. Dinan actually has a good reputation. Their kits are not cheap though

edplayer
no

and for AA, that was specific to their older kits, the C30/38

The one you linked looks nice but it is really new. If it was me, I would rather wait a year or so to get/read a lot of feedback on it before buying a new design.

Hornswoggler1

The only forced induction I would consider for either of my 3-series would be the twin-screw superchargers. No waiting, the power is just there.

Even then, these cars dont need much power to be fun, or even reasonably fast. Of course, by todays standards they have less HP than a Camry V6, but the chassis carries momentum well. But, momentum is not in the vocabulary of todays superturbochargaaarrr kids vocabulary. Hey, why learn how to drive when you can add a hero pedal?

Adding aftermarket forced induction is introducing complexity and weight to a car, increasing the number of things that could go wrong. Heatsoak is an issue for those who run it hard for longer stints, and I've seen plenty of people fiddlejack with interfooler piping and boost leaks while their run group was out on track having fun. Just give me a reliable NA engine with decent power and revs, and I'll go out and have fun.

Cloud 69

It wasn't raining today so I have some more pictures, the more I drive this car the more I'm liking it.

I wonder if it has a Dinan exhaust as well. How much of a difference does the intake make? Probably more then one would make in the Z4, it seems that about the only way to make any significant gains on the M54 in my car is an ESS supercharger.

Hornswoggler1

Intake is probably worth 5-10 HP, assuming matching software. Not much, really.

[H]ard|On

it's the skinny manifold too, stock radiator. Looks fairly left alone except a CAI (helps very little with the smaller runners, stock airbox is fine for lower RPMs) Exhaust on these cars, while heavy, is close to perfect stock. A lot of aftermarket catbacks actually lose power over OEM and only add noise.

Who owns it and how many miles, you didn't say...? I'm betting the VANOS seals are gone.

Also the z4 is a good car - basically the same suspension (early z3s had irs from the e30) and a good double-vanos 3 liter motor. You liking it as much says more about the z4 than the old M3

Glad you're starting to see the fun in the car. When everything is working right it's like an extension of your own body and pivots right around where you sit. Car lends itself well to explore the limits of your tires. It's very surgical. Overcoming traction in it is like slowly pulling on a table cloth - you can easy off any time. Most other cars I've been in it's more like falling off a cliff when it happens. Once you do some eibachs and konis it feels like it's on rails even at above 100mph. This isn't an exaggeration at all, very planted... gives you dangerous amounts of confidence.

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornswoggler1 View Post
Intake is probably worth 5-10 HP, assuming matching software. Not much, really.

more importantly it's worth 3 dinan points, some floor mats and he's got enough to get the badge!