General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Typhoon43

The Cayman is a VERY capable car. The R8 would destroy it though . I'd check the service intervals and see how crazy each one will run you. Audi's have timing belts, whereas the Cayman has a timing chin. These tend to be the most expensive repairs, which is why I tend to graviate towards vehicles with chain setups. There's no denying how effing cool the R8 is. I've seen 10x as many Caymans around my area than I have the R8's.

edit: 09 R8's don't have a Dual Clutch setup. It's the R-Tronic single clutch setup which isn't nearly as quick and slick as the DSG. You may want to stay manual if you go that route.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon43 View Post
edit: 09 R8's don't have a Dual Clutch setup. It's the R-Tronic single clutch setup which isn't nearly as quick and slick as the DSG. You may want to stay manual if you go that route.
+++++

Code: [M]ayhem

Z/28

/thread

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

GTR

DreamWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon43 View Post
The Cayman is a VERY capable car. The R8 would destroy it though . I'd check the service intervals and see how crazy each one will run you. Audi's have timing belts, whereas the Cayman has a timing chin. These tend to be the most expensive repairs, which is why I tend to graviate towards vehicles with chain setups. There's no denying how effing cool the R8 is. I've seen 10x as many Caymans around my area than I have the R8's.

True about the service intervals...I hadn't really thought to look into that because it's more like a "if I can afford the car, I can afford the service" type of thing. But, I suppose total cost of ownership is something I should take into account. On all fronts, however, I'd guess overall the R8 will be more than the Cayman -- I expect my insurance quotes will also solidify that, lol.

And thanks about the non-dual-clutch tip on the '09 R8, but I was aware of that. I've been reading reviews for a while...and you're right, if I ended up going with an older R8, manual would be the way I went. Indeed, that's another reason that if I wanted the R8 I'd probably just decide to save for longer and pick up an off-lease '13. Either way, I'd go with the V8 because while the V10 is awesome-sauce, I just don't think it is worth it.

That said, I drove the Cayman S today, but pity it was in quite a bit of traffic. I drove it around until finally I managed to end up at the front of a light so I could put my foot through the floor, however, I couldn't really wring it out with traffic. Worse, no one around me has one that isn't in a showroom -- so, I was in an area I was unfamiliar with and didn't know where I could find roads to stretch its legs a little more on. If I decide to go this route, I'll need to go back and have the salesman drive with me and tell him explicitly I want to play and find me a road. At least, however, they were kind enough to let my wife and I take it and play this time, so that was nice.

Also, the car I test drove they are selling with $7k miles, well optioned, for about $68k, which is pretty good. But, it's black-on-black and looks like someone rubbed its drivers side against another car...so it's not an option in its current state. However, they did say they'd buff everything back to perfection on their dime if I wanted it...not sure I buy it, but, to use a cliche, it did look like it'd "buff right out" lol. I'm not really sure I want to buy one brand new...but it does seem hard to find them optioned the way I want and used. Unfortunately, I'd also much prefer to let someone else take that initial depreciation hit and the warranty is better on certified pre-owned. So....

And mike -- no GTR. I like it as an engineering marvel, dislike everything else about it.

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
I am budgeting around $80k.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

I would do either the cayman or the M4, if new, simply because of the fun factor. Do you need room or no? The M4 will be more practical for obvious reasons. That's the only thing I would think about. As my only car, i'd go for the M4 and never look back. As a pure fun car, perhaps the cayman.

I would love to have this problem

All Audis besides the R8, I would only consider if i lived in a shit climate; otherwise i don't see an advantage with their wasteful AWD, cramped engine bay and engine almost entirely ahead of the front axle. They strike me less as a driver's car compared to the bimmer and cayman, and more like a family option with sporting intentions - all numbers aside.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

wtf

I dont see any performance stats

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

"engine is all stock 505/535"

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Yes but what does that translate to in a stook body

Way too much useless torque. I'm thinking it's not much/any faster than a boosted one

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

idk this el ass juan swapped s2k doesn't seem all that problematic

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
idk this el ass juan swapped s2k doesn't seem all that problematic

+ YouTube Video

So basically it ruins the car. 13 sec? meh. All that torque does nothing but kill tires in such a light chassis. I'd much sooner go FI - probably cost less too.

10 sec turbo
+ YouTube Video

Besides drag racing for s2k is only a part of the package

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

you should probably think about this differently...

I'm going to bet that this is either a guy who had a Viper and totaled it, and buying a shell isn't really an option

or its a guy who had an S2k with a popped engine and found a totaled viper on Copart for dirt cheap

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

I'd probably go for the porch.