General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Bradd
I THOUGHT GOOGLE IS WHAT MY FATHER DOES TO ME EVERY NIGHT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush View Post
because tearing down someone else's flag is destruction of their property, while flying the flags the wrong way harms nothing but emotions.

also, odds are the tearing down of the flags would involve other crimes, at least if this was done in a house as opposed to a business.
ok

anyway its not against the law to fly a flag above the US or break any other flag code that article was wrong and I was wrong when I corrected you in the other thread.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy

i wonder if mexicans hate freedom of speech as much as the americans in this thread....

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieyeasu View Post
Who's the bigger asshole here, really?

The guys that made a silly gesture, or the guy who made a silly gesture and acted like an ass?

The assholes who don't want to live in the country they are flying a flag for.

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush View Post
because tearing down someone else's flag is destruction of their property, while flying the flags the wrong way harms nothing but emotions.

also, odds are the tearing down of the flags would involve other crimes, at least if this was done in a house as opposed to a business.

How about a Confederate Flag?

Note that the OMGOMGOMGOMG trouble-makers have to stick their enormous noses in on this like everything else....

http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/raci...erate_flag.asp

Last edited by SamFarber; 10-04-2007 at 06:49 PM..

I Fuck Chickens
dasstrooper
cluck cluck fuck fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
i wanna go fly some flags above the US flag

Me too. It's a fucking flag who cares. Start worrying about bigger issues in the world.

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
How about a Confederate Flag?

Note that the OMGOMGOMGOMG trouble-makers have to stick their enormous noses in on this like everything else....

http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/raci...erate_flag.asp
I wouldn't like it, but I would support the right of any random person to fly it above the US flag if they wanted to. Having the government fly it at all would be a different story, though.

RetardedKitten
pwned

symbols are for the sYmple minded

isugoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromicus View Post
i wonder if mexicans hate freedom of speech as much as the americans in this thread....

flying an american flag above a mexican flag in mexico would probably get you killed or at least beaten. it's not unlike the entire immigration issue, they want to tell us how unfair it is for them when their own southern border is substantially worse.

i'm not especially religious, but this is perfect in response to your statement:
"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brotherís eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thy say to thy brother, "Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?" Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brotherís eye."

cromicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoat View Post
i'm not especially religious, but this is perfect in response to your statement:
"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thy say to thy brother, "Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?" Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye."
I got a better one, it's "I worked hard for the money I spent on these flags and I have the right to do whatever I want with them and to hell with anyone who thinks he has the right to dictate to me what to do with my own things."

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
funny, when some shitskins get riled up over something that's sacred to them and kind of trivial to us, the same people posting here expressing outrage are the first ones to valiantly defend freedom of speech

blathering again?

isugoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromicus View Post
I got a better one, it's "I worked hard for the money I spent on these flags and I have the right to do whatever I want with them and to hell with anyone who thinks he has the right to dictate to me what to do with my own things."

that's not very catchy. it also has nothing to do with question you posed.

cromicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoat View Post
that's not very catchy. it also has nothing to do with question you posed.
the question was kind of rhetorical. i don't really care what the mexicans think about freedom of speech.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
blathering again?

you of all people saying that

Malakai

On private property, the federal government telling you what flags you can have and how they must be hung is unconstitutional, yes. You can't use the constitution in your argument to justify imposing your will on the owner of private property.

Just remember that our government and politicians policies regarding immigration (and the burden they place on US citizen taxpayers through the welfare state) are what is causing this resentment towards mexicans. If immigration/welfare policy wasn't so fucked up, no one would give a shit what flag was handing on the guys shop.
Ron Paul explains US citizens animosity towards illegal mexicans as being a result of their 'cutting in the lines'. Basically illegal aliens being consistently prioritized over needy US citizens in the systems of welfare, medical care, and education have people pissed off. More so because those citizens are the ones paying for it!

This is a fine example of why we need to resist federal control over the distribution of goods and services. They can never be as fair (and never ever as good to the consumer) as a free market is.

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

I think many people in this thread are missing some of the larger points to be discussed here.

The question here isn't whether or not this person should have the right to fly the American flag below the Mexican flag... the question is the implications of what it means in regards to immigration debates.

I think everybody here can agree that the flag is just a peice of cloth, much like the Statue of Liberty is just a structure. However, you cannot deny that each of these are important symbols in American (and often world-wide) society.

If you'll permit me to paraphrase a film:

The flag is a symbol, as is the act of displaying it.
Symbols are given power by people. By itself a flag is meaningless, it's just a peice of cloth... but with enough people, a symbol like displaying a flag can change society.

When you burn the American flag, you are utilizing a symbol to make a point. No flag-burners are confused about their implications. Likewise, when you fly the flag of another country above the flag of the country in which you currently reside nobody is confused about those implications.

The man is welcome to imply whatever he wants, but it places an important question on the motives and intentions of many people involved in the current immigration debates. He is denouncing the American flag: a symbol of American ideals and American sovreignty. In the same light, he is escalating the Mexican flag: a symbol of Mexican ideals and Mexican sovreignty.

The question we're left with, the question our current leaders need to ponder very carefully, is whether or not potential economic benefits of a migrant work force outweigh the potencial social rammifications of popularizing Mexican sovreignty in many American cities.