General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

UnderWaterman

YES

edit : sorry that was my computer talking

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Badger_sly

AI is only as dangerous as the coding allows.

So, the initial extremely vague question of "can AI be trusted?" can only be answered with a vague answer of "maybe".

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger_sly View Post
AI is only as dangerous as the coding allows.

So, the initial extremely vague question of "can AI be trusted?" can only be answered with a vague answer of "maybe".

you would most likely have to deliberately code for a hostile AI. Because the core thinking algorithms would have to be sandboxed and read only or the AI will self abort overwriting it's own mind with garbage.

just think of FSM or ry goody and take it to extreme. the only thing that keeps what passes for minds in them are preserved only by the difficulty of circumventing the wetware.

Ralph

How the hell are we supposed to predict this... Can they alter their own coding? If so, can they "evolve" and become smarter by doing so? Will they be moral or ethical? Will they realize there's no purpose for their (and our) existence and just jump off a fucking cliff?

More important questions that have no answers: Is there really any such thing as consciousness / intelligence or are we all just big bags of chemicals living in a predictable mechanical universe with the illusion of free will?

I guess the world may never know.... not in our lifetimes at least.

lagomorph

Well, if AI evolves consciousness in any way like we grow up, I have a gut feeling they will regard us as parents and give us love and reverence.

We'll just have to make sure they don't become emo and cut themselves in their teens.