General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

arashi

XD 40. General .40 Cal ammo talk (Defense and Practice)

So in sync with Mom calling me and telling me she'd pay for me to buy more ammo for my XD Sub-Compact .40 I'm doing some ammo shopping on cheaperthandirt.com
I haven't had the money to buy any ammo or guns for that matter since school is so expensive and so is living! So... I'm a bit out of the loop. I have 9 rounds in my XD 40 right now of http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/68255-5.html
and I'm pretty sure that's the best for defense rounds. But they're so expensive I'd probably never practice much with them.

So what do you all think?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

BPJ

Well that stuff is expensive...

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/p...low-point-ammo

Just get that and be done with it. You can get Federal Bonded for like $16 a box on the same site. Will let you practice with the defense loads

Wood, wood, wood. Would you please get that penis out of my butt?

That's a good poem.

arashi

Not a bad link. Thanks.

Not as much stopping power as HydraShock, but still looks like a nice round and the price is fantastic.

What's up with http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/p...low-point-ammo
Those? I mean, are they really that good?

Last edited by arashi; 09-25-2008 at 01:04 PM..

That German Guy
Moderation is key. Especially in forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashi View Post

Useless, they disintegrate far too fast.
WISDOM

arashi

That's what I figured. I think I'm going to get some of those he linked me too then get some Federal HST
http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/p...low-point-ammo
The HST is basically the new HydraShok right? Basically.
In terms of Stopping power the HST is better right?

Thanks for all the info.

BPJ

Quote:
Not a bad link. Thanks.

Not as much stopping power as HydraShock, but still looks like a nice round and the price is fantastic.

You'd use a product made by people who advertise using a scoped turkey gun, and the same guy 3 times, and make him black?

Yeah that stuff is crap.

In handgun rounds, everything has gotten to be pretty much the same. As long as the round penetrates enough, they all end up doing about the same amount of damage. No such thing as knockdown power. 99% of it is shot placement. Which is why it's important to shoot a lot and become proficient. Cheaper ammo allows you to do this.

Nothing wrong at all with the Federal Premium, stuff, I just think the grey box Federal for $16 is probably just as effective.

That's a good poem.

g0rg0n
Jim Zorn took my job, that MOTHER FUCKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPJ View Post
You'd use a product made by people who advertise using a scoped turkey gun, and the same guy 3 times, and make him black?

Yeah that stuff is crap.

In handgun rounds, everything has gotten to be pretty much the same. As long as the round penetrates enough, they all end up doing about the same amount of damage. No such thing as knockdown power. 99% of it is shot placement. Which is why it's important to shoot a lot and become proficient. Cheaper ammo allows you to do this.

Nothing wrong at all with the Federal Premium, stuff, I just think the grey box Federal for $16 is probably just as effective.
qft

why waste money on hydrashock when you're already shooting a fucking .40 round.

arashi

I mean I've never shot a human being before so I can't speak from a personal level. But... I know that JHP is going to do a lot more Stopping Power than a FMJ.

Oh and I never said knockdown power. It's called Stopping Power and its really just a colloquial term, but the idea it represents exists.

Anyways. Are you saying there isn't a difference in rounds? Cause I'd say it's pretty obvious that for targets not wearing bullet proof equipment JHP is much better.

arashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPJ View Post

Wish they had the grey box in 165gr. Basically that stuff is High-Shock I and HST is High-Shock II

BPJ

Quote:
I mean I've never shot a human being before so I can't speak from a personal level. But... I know that JHP is going to do a lot more Stopping Power than a FMJ.

Oh and I never said knockdown power. It's called Stopping Power and its really just a colloquial term, but the idea it represents exists.

Anyways. Are you saying there isn't a difference in rounds? Cause I'd say it's pretty obvious that for targets not wearing bullet proof equipment JHP is much better.

I shoot FMJ in my .380 because that's what it takes to get good penetration. 9mm and above, penetration isn't as much of an issue. Doesn't matter how wide the round is if it doesn't get deep enough into the body.

Most modern HP rounds expand to about 0.45-0.50 in diameter, from 9mm through .45ACP

The only thing that counts is a CNS shot. You can rip someones heart out and they'll still be conscious and able to fight for another 15-20 seconds. Only a CNS shot will immediately take them out of the fight.

That's a good poem.

PiMpY
hmmmmmm whats that smell? *sniffs* ahhh smells like c0cktard. COMING FROM THIS POST!!

i have hydrashocks in my xd 40 for defense rds and used to have speer gold dots in there

for range practice i just get a whitebox of winchester at wal mart. i think they usually have 160 and 180g for the same price.

Defiler

When buying premium ammunition, its not really the "improved" stopping power your paying for. Shit, i can buy gold dot bullets and load my own for cheaper than most manufactured FMJ , (dont recommend hand loads for self defense btw, just an example). The problem, is that with cheaper ammunition, the overall quality is not as good. I have had factory ammunition from American Eagle, Blazer, etc with failure to fires, hot loads, underpowered loads, etc. They are rare nontheless, but they have happened to me. They have a margin of error that is deemed acceptable, and thats that. Thats why its practice/plinking ammo. With self defense ammunition, most manufacturers spend a lot more time on quality control than they do on their "economy" product, and as a result, you get more consistent, reliable loads, usually made by employees with more experience than people working on the other products.

Your paying for the premium to be ensured a working, reliable bullet, that will work when you need it to, not for it to do catastrophic damage beyond a regular bullet. It's a marketing strategy more than anything, advertising their aggressive new HP design, and they are willing to convince you that its the best thing ever. Although it is proven a good HP works better then most FMJ ammo, the whole, "this HP is better than that HP", is a case of apples and oranges.

Personally, I use 230gr Speer Gold Dots in my XD-45, they shoot straight for me, a proven round used by a lot of law enforcement country wide, and they are pretty well priced compared to a lot of the defensive stuff out there.

Daemonite

Speer Gold Dot is excellent, Winchester Ranger SXT, and Federal HST are no slouches either. Either will be excellent, most of the cost for premium ammo comes from the flash suppressed powder, consistency across the box (very low velocity variation) and sealed primers.

The Gold Dot's expanded petals are no where as sharp as the HST or Winchester, the HST has razor sharp petals while the Winchester has talons. All of which are effective against soft targets, they expand, penetrate well and none suffer from jacket/core separation. Pick anyone of those three and feel safe.

PS
Extreme Shock SUUUUUUUCKS.
They leave massive shallow wounds, but have very little stopping power. Might as well bust out a shotgun with birdshot if you want to wound and cause someone to die an extremely slow painful death. I prefer if I shoot something to do it right and get it over quick.