General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

ok, you need me to pay now, or when you get back from vacay?

i'm leavin town on the 31st, and i'll also be out for two weeks

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Forever Domon

got the clock today gee. Am gonna start mocking stuff up tomorrow morning

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
ok, you need me to pay now, or when you get back from vacay?

i'm leavin town on the 31st, and i'll also be out for two weeks
I can have it in the mail on monday if you pay soon. I'm straightening out payment right now.

Just realized Paypal takes a 2.9% + $0.30 chomp on incoming transfers, since I've got a premium account - gonna create a personal account now. Gonna do it two ways:

- $98 through my premier account if you're using a CC
- $95 through my personal account when I've got that set up, if you're doing a bank account transfer.

(Assuming shipping to the USA)

I don't think I'll have proper kit instructions done before I go on vacation - instead I'll put together a one page parts list and a suggested order to assemble things, and combine that with the good kit manual from the revision 3 clock. That should hopefully be sufficient.

Just finished my 3rd prebuild. Domon got the 1st, got two more built and burning in right now - haven't figured out who's getting 'em yet, gonna straighten that out after I get paypal shit done.

Forever Domon

Wasnt expecting it to be so small. To avoid having the case be as big as the clock, im going to have to resaw (cut thick wood into thinner slices). Due to the hardness of this wood, I need to replace my resaw blade, ive ordered it, but itll be a few days

gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
Wasnt expecting it to be so small. To avoid having the case be as big as the clock, im going to have to resaw (cut thick wood into thinner slices). Due to the hardness of this wood, I need to replace my resaw blade, ive ordered it, but itll be a few days
I came across cheap oak hardwood flooring in a discount building supply spot a few days ago... actual hardwood for $3/sqft. Was about 3/8" thick. I figure if you ran the stuff a couple of times through a thickness planer, you could end up with a nice 1/4" thick slab of hardwood you could cut into something for a clock case.

Hell, you could probably get enough wood for a case with a free hardwood sample...

Code: [M]ayhem

Quote:

GG you got fucking TROLLED!

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
I came across cheap oak hardwood flooring in a discount building supply spot a few days ago... actual hardwood for $3/sqft. Was about 3/8" thick. I figure if you ran the stuff a couple of times through a thickness planer, you could end up with a nice 1/4" thick slab of hardwood you could cut into something for a clock case.

Hell, you could probably get enough wood for a case with a free hardwood sample...
i know right, the single board i got will probably cover everyone who wants cases.

Ill get it down to size, just have to resaw it to 3/8ths and give it a plane on one side to make it pretty, ive got my plan laid on on paper thus far, will transfer it to google sketchup soon

Im heavily leaning toward a design like this:

Itll be 3/8th at the bottom and taper up in a nice curve to 1/4 at the top, and the "cap" will slide down over the nixie tubes and lock in place with a couple of tabs for toolless assembly

gee

I like the concept. Gonna attempt the 'feet' on the bottom of the case?

Anyway, I'm on vacation starting tomorrow afternoon. If anyone wants a clock, it'll be the 20th before I can mail one out.

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
I like the concept. Gonna attempt the 'feet' on the bottom of the case?

Anyway, I'm on vacation starting tomorrow afternoon. If anyone wants a clock, it'll be the 20th before I can mail one out.
they require a special bit, i was gonna see how it looked without em first, and if it doesnt look right, ill do some kinda feet

gee

Quote:
they require a special bit, i was gonna see how it looked without em first, and if it doesnt look right, ill do some kinda feet
Looks like something you can do with a router table, and pretty much any bit in your bit collection.

Build the box, space the fence back to put the width of the leg between the bit and the fence, and run each side of the box against the fence. Then take the fence off and freehand off the wood between the legs.

VanFanel
THERE IS NO DATA HERE - NONE AT ALL! \o/

Do want clock; kthx <3

Forever Domon

bandsaw blades and router bits are in. Will set up asap

Typhoon43

I'm 100% in for a VFD. We need 4 more cool kids to hop onboard!

DarkHelmet
BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD

I got my kits in the mail today. The mail man literally knocked on the door and said "you got a package from Canada, Eh".

So the first thing I do is unpack it, and sort the parts. Yep, it's all here

Install the passives first:

IC's come last:

Installing the tubes is much easier if you trim the leads first.

All installed (minus the xtal)

Tested and found one minor issue:

Whoops......

A short repair and the clock works perfectly. My old one is on the left, and the new one is one the right:

Gee fixed the new design so it starts up 100% of the time now. I believe I had to modify the first clock to get the uP to start up when power was connected.

Anyways, I'm really happy with the kits. I'm going to be giving them as presents

gee

The 'rev4' startup issue isn't actually a problem with the clock itself, it's caused by the AC adapter voltage output being too high - the 9V adapters ended up measuring 13-14V, and this would put the 180V regulator chip in a bad state. The latest wall adapter is a switcher with a regulated 9V output, which fixes the problem.