General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

StarDeath13

Looking into a suppressor for my .22lr

The gun is my M&P 15-22 and im about done hanging god knows what all over it and i think its missing a good suppressor. Yes thats just a fake suppressor/shroud made from a DIY thread over at S&W forums, You can see the end of the barrel so it does nothing.

My barrel isnt threaded but that isnt hard to get done or expensive as guys at that forum will do them reasonably. But my question is should a i buy a specific .22 suppressor or one made for a .223/5.56 M4? I know both will work, But will the .223 suppressor work better or last longer?
I have no plans to buy a .223 but may add another .22lr pistol id like to use it on also.
So size is a bit of a concern and would like it not too fat,long or heavy.

A side question, Buying subsonic .22lr is alot more expensive than high velocity 1250fps ammo. Is it worth buying a suppressor if i can only shoot the HV bulk stuff most times?

Recomendations? i know Yankee hill and http://www.major-malfunction.com are 2 good places but suggest others if you can.

A couple pics as we all love those.
Yes i know my accessories already cost more than the gun and the suppressor will hit a 2x the price once done, But this is my "Fun" gun as my CCW and HD guns are left stock for reliability and no non sense work.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

wow, it comes with the fore end rail? that's a pretty sweet little gun for the price. I think I want an M&P 15-22 more than a GSG5 now.

Social Misfit
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
wow, it comes with the fore end rail? that's a pretty sweet little gun for the price. I think I want an M&P 15-22 more than a GSG5 now.

What about the new ISSC SCAR clone? Me wants it...Bad...

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/FN+SCAR+.22lr

And as far as the silencer on a .22...Really? It's not quiet enough without? Thats the one thing I don't like about shooting .22, not enough bang compared to my other rifles.

Rancidpunk666

I'm guessing you're aware of the 6 month background check/waiting period and the 200 dollar tax stamp?
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

StarDeath13

The 15-22 Is alot of gun for the money, I paid $419 +tax.
It even uses the same drop in trigger group as the M4, But many things are close but not the same as an M4. But the design is very similar.
The Scar looks cool, But i prefer to have the ability to use the M16/M4 after market since so much stuff can be used on this gun also.
S&W released a new model that has the barrel pre threaded with a flash suppressor added.

Why put a suppressor on a .223 when it has a sonic crack? At least i can buy subsonic ammo.

Yes i know about the wait and tax stamp, Im prepared for that.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDeath13 View Post
Why put a suppressor on a .223 when it has a sonic crack? At least i can buy subsonic ammo.

Um, what?

There is plenty of subsonic .223 about. I've fired it.

StarDeath13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
Um, what?

There is plenty of subsonic .223 about. I've fired it.

OK, i believe you as i know jack about a .223 cartridge, But i had no clue they had them in subsonic verities.
Wouldn't that be about as much power as a HV .22lr?
But i could see its use tho with suppressors when concealment is paramount.
Thanks for correcting me.

I know i was just at the range shooting next to a guy with a suppressed M4 wich had about the same Db level as my .22lr
What was funny was he let his GF shoot it with no instructions on how to shoot a gun and afterwards she says " I didnt know i had to aim it, I though i just had to pull the trigger" this was after the first shot went into the ceiling at 15' and the second round hitting the ceiling at 30' and taking out an 8' light tube.
I backed all the way up to the wall behind the firing line until the gun was OUT of her hands.

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

Quote:
st at the range shooting next to a guy with a suppressed M4 wich had about the same Db level as my .22lr

Must have been a pretty crappy can then...unsuppressed .22lr is around 150db, most AR suppressors get it down to at least 140db. My 7.62 can gets my AR down to around 138db, my new can that I'm ordering (dedicated 5.56 one) will get it down to 133. It's all situational, though.

Anyways, to address your questions:

Quote:
My barrel isnt threaded but that isnt hard to get done or expensive as guys at that forum will do them reasonably.

The question is, are these guys that have experience threading barrels for suppressors? Anyone can do a decent thread job, but threading for suppressors requires a thread job to be concentric to the bore of the rifle. If the threads are just a hair off, you have potential to get a baffle strike, which may lead to catastrophic failure of the suppressor, and in a bad case this will lead to your can not being able to be replaced under warranty, and you having to purchase a whole new one ($200 tax and all).

Just something to think about. There are well-known suppressor threaders out there that are go-to people in the suppressor world.

Quote:
But my question is should a i buy a specific .22 suppressor or one made for a .223/5.56 M4? I know both will work, But will the .223 suppressor work better or last longer?
I have no plans to buy a .223 but may add another .22lr pistol id like to use it on also.
So size is a bit of a concern and would like it not too fat,long or heavy.
.22lr is unique in that it gunks up suppressors at a much more rapid rate than any other caliber. Getting a multiple caliber can with intention to use it on a .22lr as one of those calibers is something everyone wants to do when they look for a first suppressor, but it's much better to get a dedicated .22lr can. Suppression will always be better than with a can designed for 5.56, and it'll be lighter, too.

Quote:
A side question, Buying subsonic .22lr is alot more expensive than high velocity 1250fps ammo. Is it worth buying a suppressor if i can only shoot the HV bulk stuff most times?
Absolutely. With High Velocity ammo, all you're hear is the supersonic crack of the bullet as it goes downrange, which is but a fraction of the total report of the firearm. Subs are always better, of course, but I shoot Federal bulk pack .22lr through my .22lr cans, and they work great.

Quote:
Recomendations? i know Yankee hill and http://www.major-malfunction.com are 2 good places but suggest others if you can.
One of those is a manufacturer, and one is a dealer.

Everyone will have their brand/suppressor of choice, you'll hear differing opinions no matter where you go.

I'd suggest spending $30 on a subscription to Silencer Research's premium review section. John over there has a professional meter, and measures actual decibel reduction of suppressors, and also posts other statistics (size, weight, price) that allow you to find the can that's perfect for you.

Having said that, some recommendations of mine:
I purchased two of the Liberty Suppressors Shoofly for my first .22lr cans. They work great, but are a little longer than most .22lr cans, and are also "sealed" cans, meaning they're not user-dissassemble-able for cleaning. Since .22lr gunks up suppressors well, getting a cleanable can is a good decision, as most sealed cans are junk when filled. Liberty offers a free cleaning service on their cans, though, and that, combined with the performance of the Shoofly on the host weapons I intended to put them on at Silencer Research, sealed the deal for me on them. Price was great, too. I don't regret my purchase of those for a second.

If you're definitely looking for something take-apart, though, I'd suggest the AAC Prodigy or Element, and the Silencerco Sparrow. The former two have rated Excellently on Silencer Research, and the latter has rated good as well, though also offers a unique dis assembly method that prevents .22lr cans from being jammed and hard to open once you've shot them a lot.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

Chadwick

do suppressors deteriorate in effectiveness over time?

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
OK, i believe you as i know jack about a .223 cartridge, But i had no clue they had them in subsonic verities.
Wouldn't that be about as much power as a HV .22lr?
But i could see its use tho with suppressors when concealment is paramount.
Thanks for correcting me.

I know i was just at the range shooting next to a guy with a suppressed M4 wich had about the same Db level as my .22lr
What was funny was he let his GF shoot it with no instructions on how to shoot a gun and afterwards she says " I didnt know i had to aim it, I though i just had to pull the trigger" this was after the first shot went into the ceiling at 15' and the second round hitting the ceiling at 30' and taking out an 8' light tube.
I backed all the way up to the wall behind the firing line until the gun was OUT of her hands.

Most of the .223 sub out there seems to use a 63 gr bullet underpowered to get it down to 1000fps or so. So yes, that's basically the power of a .22LR. (140ft lbs @ muzzle). These rounds also will not cycle the action, so they are very VERY quiet. The first round I fired I actually thought there was a malfunction

There are some subsonics available that utilize extremely heavy bullets that will cycle the action, which of course adds more noise, but you get quite a bit more ballistic performance (222 ft lbs) Never fired this stuff though... just read about it on the intertubes.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
do suppressors deteriorate in effectiveness over time?

Some do, yes. They get fouled up with residue.

IMO, the only one I would ever buy is one that can be disassembled and cleaned

Chilly

Quote:

++

Someone who knows more back me up here; if you can't open your suppressor up, do you have to send it back to the manufacturer for cleaning?

On a related note, how often do you need to clean them? Is it like oil changes, 3 months or every ____ rounds?

Mr. Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
++

Someone who knows more back me up here; if you can't open your suppressor up, do you have to send it back to the manufacturer for cleaning?

On a related note, how often do you need to clean them? Is it like oil changes, 3 months or every ____ rounds?

Only some manufacturers will do cleaning of their own cans. Most won't. Liberty does, and does it for free, and that's why I chose their Shoofly model.

Schedules of cleaning are just like cleaning of rifles; everyone cleans at different rates. After each use is recommended, but you could just as well wait 6 months before cleaning.

Quote:

All suffer damage to the first baffle (known as the blast baffle) from regular use. The damage is amplified with shorter barrels, most manufacturers won't warranty a can on excessively short SBRs.

Quote:
Are you talking .22lr, or every caliber? Good luck finding a can capable of dis-assembly in any rifle caliber besides .22lr.

Chilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
Only some manufacturers will do cleaning of their own cans. Most won't. Liberty does, and does it for free, and that's why I chose their Shoofly model.

Schedules of cleaning are just like cleaning of rifles; everyone cleans at different rates. After each use is recommended, but you could just as well wait 6 months before cleaning.

Who cleans them then? Are there specialty gunsmiths that will clean suppressors?

Do you ever get hassled mailing your suppressors to Liberty for cleaning?

Mr. Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Who cleans them then? Are there specialty gunsmiths that will clean suppressors?

No one, really. Thus the trouble buying a sealed can.

Quote:
Do you ever get hassled mailing your suppressors to Liberty for cleaning?
Just treat it like any other firearm.

I've never mailed one yet, though, mine haven't needed cleaning yet.