General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tk421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Man152 View Post
Enlisted versus going in as a commissioned officer.

a recruiter told me once (maybe 8-9 yrs ago) that with a bachelors degree you can start at officer candidate school, is that true?

if so, wouldnt that be the way to go?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk421 View Post
a recruiter told me once (maybe 8-9 yrs ago) that with a bachelors degree you can start at officer candidate school, is that true?

it depends on what you want to do

in most cases officers serve as managerial/supervisory roles while the enlisted are the ones that actually perform the jobs

exceptions abound but officers and enlisted have different duties. officers get paid more but also have a lot more responsibility for their decisions

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man

Quote:

you CAN enlist
you MAY start at OCS

The selection standards for OCS are a little more stringent than enlistment. 4 year degree is a requirement, not a garuntee.

godofcheese

Hell, I had recruiters from all the services calling me about a month before my graduation offering me spots in OCS. Of course, once I told them I am a type 1 diabetic they all ran for the hills. I think it was my degree though. They were all looking for officers that would work in supply and logistics. (degree is industrial distribution)

Best of luck to all of you.

f00ker
D15 > LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebingate View Post
I accept with information:
Since I'm in a similar position (speaking with an Army Reserves recruiter)...

I'll just ask this: Advice for what to ask the recruiters? (Aside from the basics...)

My wife is nervous about me joining because of relocation, which I understand doesn't happen in the reserves (?) I know I can get better answers from actual soldiers (not saying that the recruiter is not a soldier).

why did you copy my post without quoting it?

first post on genmay = fail for you

Captain Moosehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofugger View Post
Same here. I remember one question that was basically:

Plane travels 5 miles on 10 gallons of fuel. Plane has 100 gallons of fuel, how far can pilot travel. The "correct answer" was a mathmatical one (ie: 5 miles per gallon x 5 gallons = 25 miles shit). I said any pilot who attemps to fly 100 miles with 100 miles worth of fuel (implying no reserve) doesn't deserve his wings.

Now whether it was a trick question I don't know.

Isn't the answer 50? Officers for the Air Force don't take the ASVAB anyway.
Not everyone is lucky enough to have been raised in a whiskey tango trailer park, by a bow-legged female, whose sole qualification for motherhood is a womb that happened to catch the sperm of a passing truck driver.

Captain Moosehead

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofugger View Post
you CAN enlist
you MAY start at OCS

The selection standards for OCS are a little more stringent than enlistment. 4 year degree is a requirement, not a garuntee.

OCS for the Army is a guarantee if you have a BA/BS, aren't a felon, and know how to say no to a hamburger once in a while. This also means that the Army without question has some of the worst officers in the military because the billet only asked for a warm body. Generally though becoming an officer is more selective and people are less willing to look the other way.

As far as choice, it depends on what you want. Certain jobs are enlisted or officer exclusive. Others, enlisted and officer responsibilities and duties look very different, even in the same career field and everyone has their preference.

My preference is that if you have the means, be a fucking officer. I know which side I would rather be on between having a dipshit for a boss or being a dipshit of a boss. At the very least you have fewer people that can tell you what to do and you get paid more for it.

BTW what your degree is in or where its from will (almost) never matter. Anything technical the military needs, you'd need more than a BA/BA and they contract this work out anyway.
Not everyone is lucky enough to have been raised in a whiskey tango trailer park, by a bow-legged female, whose sole qualification for motherhood is a womb that happened to catch the sperm of a passing truck driver.