General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General Forums > Forum & Network
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

bump

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Matty
:gaycool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Unit View Post
Matt do you think those image shrinkers will be something this forum can put to use?

Yes. I'll probably do that in a wave of changes to the Gen[M]ay theme. I'm going to be re-coding it to use less tables and less images, so it renders faster and acts snappier.

ryanvsrobots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huipe View Post
I would like to see the Rock forum and LTS combined. After all, they're both about music and I think that should all be under one roof.

I would love to see a classical section. There have been occasional threads about classical in the main genmay forum and you might just be surprised how many classical fans there are here.

Also, the thread titles in LTS (dark orange on black) are hard to read. Having six subforums for each genre just seems to dilute any discussion. For example, take the World music forum. Four of the six subforums have no posts at all, so what's the point?
combining forums isn't possible yet... but matty is working his ass off trying to get this stuff together, patience is key!

i myself am a fan of classical but as of now i don't think it will generate enough content for it's own subforum at this point in time, but it's possible.

the subforums are being re-worked, expect some change over the next few weeks, not just to LTS. please keep the feedback coming.

www.lovethatsound.com

-Frock-

You know, after some thought, I think rolling this place back to how it was ~ a year ago wouldn't be such a bad idea. The subforums are nice, but they just aren't necessary. Sure, they add content, and the idea is GREAT, don't get me wrong. Genmay just dosn't need a network though. The high point of genmay were when it was most retarded, just look at the vault, dick jokes, FLAMES IN BOLD CAPS, namerapes galore (and not just the retarded IMNobody Look at me I have teh monies' rapes)

Really, if a new forum network was created form the ground up it would work pretty well I think, but Genmay thrives on being Genmay, not a place to find worthwhile information (although our own subforums accomplish enough of this on their own to keep people around.)

What we need is less serious content, and much much more funny content. To make an analogy, I use genmay like Comedy Central, not the discovery channel, I wouldn't want discovery channel to start airing "animals funniest videos" anymore than I'd want comedy central to start airing docudramas about famous comedians all the time.

As I said before, I don't really care that the new forums are here, and I wont whine about them, but I honestly think that content is detracting from the mayhem that makes this place so great.

Please don't ban me, I like this place, I just want it to be retarded again. That is all.

Edit: I think there is also somthing to be said for the comradarie that comes with having a UID hierarchy. By adding subforums UID's have become meaningless (and some would argue this is the right way for them to be) however, in any society one of the univeral themes that holds the whole place together is respect for elders. Sure, we could give every joe-50k a shot by not using UID's, but in doing so we loose all the majesty of seeing sub-1k's still posting on the forum, and when you're new as I once was, this really makes you believe that a place like this is worth sticking around for. I know the removal of UID's is on the way at some point (iirc) but I think it would be the final stick of dynamite in the foundation of the towering Juggernaut that is genmay culture (woah that was deep)

Last edited by -Frock-; 05-13-2007 at 06:32 PM..

Matty
:gaycool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huipe View Post
I seem to recall someone saying paypal was doing a cleanup on sites that were violating their terms of service. I have to question the business ethics of anyone who would deliberately violate paypal's TOS when they should have been aware of any potential consequences.

Someone mentioned the no nudity rule, yet nude avatars are everywhere because they were paid for. Seems a bit hypocritical. Thanks for at least fixing it so we can actually turn off avatars in our profile now.

I never paid much attention to mcovey, but I am glad sleeman is gone. Thank you for that. His gimmick wasn't funny and cluttering up every other thread with nothing but racial slurs was an insult to the forums.

I think the idea of the network forums was good, but the choice of some forums seems a bit odd. Eternal-Allegiance has not just one, but two subforums devoted to Britney Spears. I just don't see that as a good fit with the genmay crowd.

I and others posted at forumbabes asking about the arcade. matt said on 4-23 that it was down for maintenance during the server move, but it's still down.

The network forum links on the various forums are not consistent. And on spiceforums, the link to forumbabes is a 404 and there are two links to LTS but none to Rock.

I would like to see the Rock forum and LTS combined. After all, they're both about music and I think that should all be under one roof.

I would love to see a classical section. There have been occasional threads about classical in the main genmay forum and you might just be surprised how many classical fans there are here.

Also, the thread titles in LTS (dark orange on black) are hard to read. Having six subforums for each genre just seems to dilute any discussion. For example, take the World music forum. Four of the six subforums have no posts at all, so what's the point?

Thank you very much! I've fixed the problem on Spice Forums. I'm working on getting vBulletin's ImpEx to allow us to merge The Rock Forum and Love That Sound together. I agree that threads are spread too thin in LTS right now, I think removing the sub-sub forums and adding Classical Music would be nice.

Huipe

When I go to one of the network forums and click on "new posts" it will tell me there are no new threads to view. Then if I click on threads from the last 24 hours, it will show new threads or those with any activity in that time.

It seems to be pulling the time of my last visit based on my last visit to genmay and not on my last visit to that particular network forum.

(And I left you some comments on the arcade functionality over at forumbabes. )

ieyeasu

Sanjay:

Thank you for providing a place for people to congregate and provide content. I really do appreciate that.

Please stop screwing with it. Content has always been stimulated and provided by people here, and as much as I appreciate you for providing a forum for that, you haven't really stimulated new content by any of this shennery. Short of putting the store back up, your hand in things is more interference than anything. That's your right, of course. Genmay is your investment. I'm just not sure that anyone is really enjoying it, or that it has resulted in the betterment in genmay. I don't fear change, I just get cranky when needless change occurs.

Thnx and pls don't ban me,
ieyeasu

Last edited by ieyeasu; 05-29-2007 at 01:20 PM..

sloths

How about a Quick Question (sub?)forum? The QQ would be a place where you could ask simple things that don't deserve real threads. eg "I need that itsa birfday pic plz" or "what's that one website... you know... [etc]... " etc etc. It would help get junk out of main forums and might help googlers find genmay.

Also the network forums should somehow be integrated into genmay, like so their post counts would show on here and latest posts etc. I think that would make it more trafficked. if the CGHMN link was just a link, not showing "lastest post at x'oclock" and "x posts, x threads" i think it would be less popular. Right now the network forums are nothing more than links. They need to mesh together better.

DivineStorm
I talk shit on the internet because in real life i'm a huge fucking pussy faggot

Netwerk forums are retarded. Imagine splitting up the Pit in a religious, war, economy, philosophy etc -section. That's just retarded. -- Same thing with the 35 different music forums, seriously, what the fuck? One Music subforum. Done. I know, it's quite a complicated suggestion, but maybe, just maybe you might comprehend it.

Also, the idea behind the netwerk forums...something like, have people who want to discuss something on genmay go someplace else instead?

Last edited by DivineStorm; 05-30-2007 at 10:55 AM..

One Air Mile Point
I believe spinoffs are the epitome of comedy. Please fuck me in the ass.

hum, i don't know where to say this, but i'll try here.
i want to say that i'm sorry if this problem has already been mentionned, i did not read the whole thread.

i'm having problems with 2 of the subforums
in big screen talk and forumbabes, i can't edit my profile.
i always get 404 errors that i can't go to the page in question. and after i get that error, i can't surf the site at all, unless i close it and then reopen it.
this problem did not occur in any of the other subforums.

thanks

edit: i clicked on "edit profile" in forum babes, and this time i got "One Air Mile Point, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

i don't get it.

Last edited by One Air Mile Point; 06-22-2007 at 12:47 PM..

k1114
sanjay's love child

Now that the new network forums have had a couple weeks to sink in, I like the whole idea.