General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ViriiK
http://military.revenanteagle.org/

Quote:
The AP is really showing their bias again, except this time, they have been caught in the act.

Sharp eyed posters over at Free Republic spotted this story about the president's reaction (version #1) to news of Bill Clinton's upcoming surgery:

Quote:
WEST ALLIS, Wis. - President Bush (news - web sites) on Friday wished Bill Clinton (news - web sites) "best wishes for a swift and speedy recovery."
"He's is in our thoughts and prayers," Bush said at a campaign rally.
Bush's audience of thousands in West Allis, Wis., booed. Bush did nothing to stop them.
Bush offered his wishes while campaigning one day after accepting the presidential nomination at the Republican National Convention in New York. Clinton was hospitalized in New York after complaining of mild chest pain and shortness of breath.
Bush recently praised Clinton when the former president went to the White House for the unveiling of his official portrait. He lauded Clinton for his knowledge, compassion and "the forward-looking spirit that Americans like in a president."
Needless to say, there was massive outrage. Many on the thread had listened to the speech live and heard no boos at all and were screaming liberal media bias...and rightfully so. Others e-mailed the AP to express their displeasure. So, minutes later, a new version gets posted to the same yahoo link and another thread pops up on Free Republic:

Quote:
WEST ALLIS, Wis. - President Bush (news - web sites) on Friday offered former President Bill Clinton (news - web sites), who faces heart bypass surgery, "best wishes for a swift and speedy recovery."
Bush offered his wishes while campaigning one day after accepting the presidential nomination at the Republican National Convention in New York. Clinton was hospitalized in New York after complaining of mild chest pain and shortness of breath.
Bush recently praised Clinton when the former president went to the White House for the unveiling of his official portrait. He lauded Clinton for his knowledge, compassion and "the forward-looking spirit that Americans like in a president."
Of course, someone with access to the raw wire posted this as well to archive this monumental, and perhaps intentional screw up.

Quote:
BC-Bush-Clinton, 1st Ld-Writethru,150 Bush offers best wishes for Clinton's recovery
Eds: SUBS lead to include reference to surgery. DELETES 3rd graf previous, Bush's audience, because of uncertainty about crowd reaction.
WEST ALLIS, Wis. (AP) - President Bush on Friday offered former President Bill Clinton, who faces heart bypass surgery, "best wishes for a swift and speedy recovery."
Someone at the Associated Press has some major explaining to do.

UPDATE: Just so there is no doubt, a Freeper posted a screen capture:

UPDATE #2: Boston.com still has the first version up on their site.

UPDATE#3: Another Freeper who attended the rally checks in.
Quote:
I wouldn't have posted this as a separate topic until I heard on the radio on the way home from the rally that the AP had reported the crowd booed when it was announced that the former president had been hospitalized. That is a bold faced lie. I understand it was later retracted, but that's like unringing a bell. I do not think it was in error, either, since the writer further stated that 'Bush did nothing to stop them.' Shameful.
The rally was amazing. I don't know how many were in attendance, but the crowd could not have been more enthusiastic.
UPDATE#4: Some of our comments are featuring posts from liberal bloggers who are taking the first version of the AP story at face value. However, another reader has provided a sound clip of the quote in question: Judge for yourself.

UPDATE:#5: Country Store has links to the original AP stories up now...so that the rewriting of history won't go unnoticed. Also, I been getting a ton of hits via Instapundit. (thanks again, .....) Drudge is also working on this as well and has linked to a transcript of the speech:

Quote:
...and before I talk to you about why I want to be your President for four more years, I do want to address several situations in the news that call for our concern and prayers.
En route here we just received news that President Clinton has been hospitalized in New York. He is in our thoughts and prayers. We send him our best wishes for a swift and speedy recovery. (Applause.)
I posted this in the comments, but feel it is worthy to say here as well: Given the overwhelming earwitness accounts via TV and radio plus an eyewitness who actually ATTENDED the rally, I'm going to have to say that the AP screwed the pooch again. They GOT CAUGHT and RETRACTED IT. It's not the first time this has happened, either. The shame is, the damage has already been done. The first version of the story is all over the wires and has been ed to many a left wing blog and message board. There is no telling how many papers were on deadline this afternoon and were going to press before everyone heads out for the Labor Day weekend. If this makes any print edition (and probably will) and is not followed up by a full retraction, there could be major credibility trouble ahead for the Associated Press.

UPDATE#6: "If at first you deceive, spin, spin again" seems to be the AP motto today. There is now yet another version posted that appears to try to cover for the original screw up:
Quote:
WEST ALLIS, Wis. - President Bush on Friday offered former President Bill Clinton, who faces heart bypass surgery, "best wishes for a swift and speedy recovery."
"He is in our thoughts and prayers," Bush said at a campaign rally in Wisconsin.
The crowd reacted with applause and with some "ooohs," apparently surprised by the news that Clinton was ill.
Far too late for that now, don't you think? Because WNBC-TV via MSNBC has an "audience is booing version" of the story on their site. How many hits do you think they get? And how many people will this false story be forwarded to? The damage has been done.

UPDATE#7: Blogger Tom McMahon said that Mark Belling of WISN radio reported that Scott Lindlaw was the AP reporter responsible for this false story. Instapundit reveals that his work has been seen "previously with distorted reports of Bush visits to military bases and NASCAR races -- the latter of which got characterized as a "cheap shot" by the Columbia Journalism Review." Here's a RealAudio file of the entire speech.
Yes there is no liberal bias in the AP people! None I tell you! - Iraqi Information Minister!
- Proud Sponsor of the American Military-Industrial Complex

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

BBnet3000
<ABlix> I WANTED TO BE WITH HER

this is the only thread of yours that i have ever liked

my favorite part is where it says the changes... lol

jubjub
TweedleDumber

ain't the internet grand ?

Last edited by jubjub; 09-03-2004 at 06:03 PM..

Kalibah
silly kalibah why do you rimjob pirates

Now the true question is
What did AP say about the reporter
fired?
no?
why not?
liberal?
yes?
case closed

PiMpY
hmmmmmm whats that smell? *sniffs* ahhh smells like c0cktard. COMING FROM THIS POST!!

Awesome.

Hova 62

whats that you say? reporters are people too??? holy shit!

electric!sheep

So you assume a story has never been written by someone who didn't actually attend an event? Dude...I'm pretty sure they wrote it in advance, much like an obituary.

A Ho

OMG saw the AP said something bad about kerry. they are conservative bias.

LegendKiller

Interesting little fuckup, then coverup, followed by another fuckup. Quite expected though.

Morris
the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
So you assume a story has never been written by someone who didn't actually attend an event? Dude...I'm pretty sure they wrote it in advance, much like an obituary.

QFT

Maybe it was a reporter fuckup? Shit happens, not everything is the extreme liberal media conspiracy that you make it out to be.

Just like not everything is a massive republican conservitive government coverup conspiracy.

Everyone needs to just put down the damn tin foil hats for a little while.

SamFarber

Geotpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber

Nice.

PopeKevinI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris
Maybe it was a reporter fuckup?

I think it's safe to say that reporting that a crowd booed when in fact they applauded or did anything but boo is a difficult mistake to make.

Here, let me help you:

BOOO!!!!

*clap clap clap clap*

Do you think a reporter can mistake one for the other? That must be one stupid reporter...and that little aside that "Bush did nothing"...so? Is he supposed to automatically discipline a crowd of voters for not doing what he wants them to do? They didn't boo, but if they did, it's their right.

That whole imaginary episode smacks of intentional partisan crap make-believe that should be left out of the news. Choosing which news stories to tell and how to tell them is one thing...but making up the news is unacceptable.

Morris
the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeKevinI
I think it's safe to say that reporting that a crowd booed when in fact they applauded or did anything but boo is a difficult mistake to make.

Here, let me help you:

BOOO!!!!

*clap clap clap clap*

Do you think a reporter can mistake one for the other? That must be one stupid reporter...and that little aside that "Bush did nothing"...so? Is he supposed to automatically discipline a crowd of voters for not doing what he wants them to do? They didn't boo, but if they did, it's their right.

That whole imaginary episode smacks of intentional partisan crap make-believe that should be left out of the news. Choosing which news stories to tell and how to tell them is one thing...but making up the news is unacceptable.

I believe the idea here is that maybe the reporter wasn't on scene and heard the news second hand.

BBnet3000
<ABlix> I WANTED TO BE WITH HER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris
I believe the idea here is that maybe the reporter wasn't on scene and heard the news second hand.
yeah, agreed

who the fuck lied to him though. maybe the guy was watching the speech on TV at kerry headquarters?

anyway, i heard the speech on the TV when i was in the bathroom the night after i read this thread. as he was saying it, its like "hey, thats what that thread was about, lets listen to what happens"

and then theres applause....