General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

PopeKevinI

It's about time people noticed this...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5909207/site/newsweek/?GT1=5100

Quote:
But [parents'] their good intentions, too many find themselves raising "wanting machines" who respond like Pavlovian dogs to the marketing behemoth that's aimed right at them. Even getting what they want doesn't satisfy some kids—they only want more. Now, a growing number of psychologists, educators and parents think it's time to stop the madness and start teaching kids about what's really important—values like hard work, delayed gratification, honesty and compassion.
I've been saying this for years. People giving their kids everything they want only leads to them wanting more and more. They become a drain on their families, and later take that sense of entitlement to become a drain on society as they run themselves bankrupt trying to live the same life their parents spent decades building.

I can't believe how many people I've seen graduate college thinking that they are automatically going to land in a high-paying job, buy the house of their dreams and drive the car of their choice before they're thirty. They don't grasp the fact that their parents almost certainly didn't live at 25 the way they live at 50, and that there is a lot of hard work that goes into attaining the things they grew up with. And what scares me the most is that these are the people raising kids today.

I'm just thankful I had parents who understood that there is a balance between giving your children hapiness and giving them everything they want. Hapiness isn't a dollar amount, it's not a room full of toys, it's not having three game systems in your bedroom at ten years of age. Kids who have that invariably want more, while those who don't seem far more content with what they have. It's a shame that every generation seems to discover this basic fact (that spoiled kids act spoiled) as if they are the first.

People are incredibly stupid sometimes.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Samhaine
Kiddie Corral Material

In america....no way.

DirkPhoenix
Remember, Dirk Lubs J00!

Consumerism drives the nation. Let their parents spend their empty fucking heads into bankruptcy. And when the next generation finds out the hard way that their high-paying job has either disappeared or been farmed out to India/Southern Russia/China, let them work retail. I'd love to see a nation of people pimping foreign shit just to make money to buy foreign shit from the same people they just sold it to.

BBnet3000
<ABlix> I WANTED TO BE WITH HER

ok

PopeKevinI

And since education has been such a hot topic around here, I'm going to throw this into the mix:

What the above article talks about is a large part of the problem in the education system. Kids expect to be spoon-fed everything. They don't want to think for themselves, as they've never been required to at home. Their entertainment today gives them everything in neat little packages that demand very little of their brains beyond statistical memorization and raw reflexes.

Here's a telling story straight from the classroom: My wife, teaching a sixth-grade science class, was explaining basic atomic structure. She told them that atmoic number = number of protons = number of electrons (forget that that's not always the case, for sixth grade science it's all they need to know). She then asked "If the atomic number is 17, how many electrons are there?" She was met with replies of "I don't understand" and "this is too hard". They couldn't understand x=y=z enough to solve for z if x=17.

DirkPhoenix
Remember, Dirk Lubs J00!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeKevinI
And since education has been such a hot topic around here, I'm going to throw this into the mix:

What the above article talks about is a large part of the problem in the education system. Kids expect to be spoon-fed everything. They don't want to think for themselves, as they've never been required to at home. Their entertainment today gives them everything in neat little packages that demand very little of their brains beyond statistical memorization and raw reflexes.

Here's a telling story straight from the classroom: My wife, teaching a sixth-grade science class, was explaining basic atomic structure. She told them that atmoic number = number of protons = number of electrons (forget that that's not always the case, for sixth grade science it's all they need to know). She then asked "If the atomic number is 17, how many electrons are there?" She was met with replies of "I don't understand" and "this is too hard". They couldn't understand x=y=z enough to solve for z if x=17.

If it's programmed into a TI-89, they'd know it. We're conditioning our children to be monkey button-pushers. In high school, I remember a teacher talking about how they were thinking about changing the curriculum of their Honors classes so that more people could get in. The reasoning was that if you were in Honors, you thought you were smart and actual intelligence wasn't important in that respect.

DocSavage

Quote:
They couldn't understand x=y=z enough to solve for z if x=17.
Maybe they were all C programmers who new that x=y=z would overwrite x even if it was 17...

I blame a lot of our consumerism on excessive advertising. There is no reason why the govt. can't limit commercials to 5 minutes an hour instead of the 15-20 minutes we have now. Just make the ad slots cost 3-4 times as much and the stations break even. I am so sick of watching the same few commercials over and over in just one hour, i could kill someone.

iyox

Kids wanting more is what keeps the economy going. I say down with this anti-american sentiment.

DocSavage

Quote:
She was met with replies of "I don't understand" and "this is too hard".
I would consider this a good thing. It means the kids are actually learning something. So many classes are taught to the lowest denominator that it comes as a shock when a kid has to pay attention and learn.

edplayer
no

Uh, thats what keeps out economy afloat

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

DocSavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by edplayer
And thus DirkPhoenix's prophecy will come to pass.

edplayer
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSavage
And thus DirkPhoenix's prophecy will come to pass.

he is a meanie

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Charlitos

Quote:
morals > economy in that case i think

mr_brett

consumption is the final piece of the pie. savings and investment are the fuel for the "economy car", entrepreneurs drive it, and consumer preference is the navigator. without consumers we'll be driving blind but still driving. without fuel, the car will grind to a halt regardless of the consumer preference.

right now we're importing this fuel from abroad because US consumers can't be assed to save even a penny on the dollar. what is that i keep hearing about dependence on foreign oil?

DirkPhoenix
Remember, Dirk Lubs J00!

Quote:
he is a meanie

How is that mean?

You raise a generation McDonalds, Abercrombie, Nintendo, throw in a Lincoln Navigator driven by a superstar athlete, some anorexia, a dash of entitlement due to being born in the United States, a couple million TI-89s and some Paxil/Zoloft/Wellbutrin/Ritalin/Prozac, and you have the perfect generation: completely dependant on "things". Aldous Huxley was a fucking pansy compared to what we've accomplished. We've created a generation of whores.

Now shake for daddy. *holds $20