Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Detman101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapes
amen!

nice bike btw, take me for a ride?

Anytime hon.
Lazarus (My bike) and I are eagerly awaiting the ride...

a76c8ac1161d68bd4ae415f5eb7cf3f4

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Psilocybes

great pics det

Detman101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilocybes
great pics det

Thanks. I love that bike. Built it from the frame up and it only took me a year.
a76c8ac1161d68bd4ae415f5eb7cf3f4

Soapbox Exile

Okay, this may sound stupid, but I'm looking to get a motorcycle fo rthe summer and I was wondering...

Do they have ANY cargo room? Like under the seat or something? I'd desperately need to be able to carry at least ~2 textbooks size of stuff with me, usually just that, two textbooks. Is there any way to ride a motorcycle with a backpack on safely?

Let me know, as I have no clue about this.

Edit: Oh Shit! Heh, I just saw the post with pics a few pages up

Is there a specific motorcycle type/build I should look for then if I want to be able to hold a backpack on it?

Oh, also, What's a good bike that'd be able to carry 20-30 lbs of books [2-3] and will hold up fine under my weight? I weigh 230 at the moment, but I'm ~6' I beleive. My legs are pretty short for my height, though.

No, I don't have self control issues either. If there's power there I am fully capable of handling myself and not going to any excess.

Edit2: OH, haha, I forgot... Also, should I be pressured into buying RIGHT now and just keeping a motorcycle in my garage for a month before the class that I take for endorsement starts, or should I just wait? Do prices go up a lot coming into the summer season?

Edit3: Oh, and... Heh, how many miles should I expect from a motorcycle before it kicks the bucket? How bad is maintainance?

Thanks again,

Last edited by Soapbox Exile; 03-12-2006 at 02:37 PM..

electric!sheep

A backpack is fine. You can also bungie it to your passenger seat, if you have space.

Prices don't really change. Use the time to decide on a good bike, and don't commit until you've taken the class.

As for miles, it depends on the bike. They never really kick the bucket, parts just fail; doubly so if you don't do any maintenance. With proper maintenance, you can figure anywhere from 50K to 100K before you need to rebuild the engine.

The difficulty of maintenance depends on the bike. A single-cylinder carbureted bike like my KLR is almost fun to maintain, and very little can go wrong on it. An inline-4 sportbike with fairings galore might not be so fun, though I can't say from first-hand experience how bad it is.

Last edited by electric!sheep; 03-12-2006 at 02:43 PM..

Soapbox Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
A backpack is fine. You can also bungie it to your passenger seat, if you have space.

Prices don't really change. Use the time to decide on a good bike, and don't commit until you've taken the class.

As for miles, it depends on the bike. They never really kick the bucket, parts just fail; doubly so if you don't do any maintenance. With proper maintenance, you can figure anywhere from 50K to 100K before you need to rebuild the engine.

The difficulty of maintenance depends on the bike. A single-cylinder carbureted bike like my KLR is almost fun to maintain, and very little can go wrong on it. An inline-4 sportbike with fairings galore might not be so fun, though I can't say from first-hand experience how bad it is.

Awesome, thanks.

mattress

Wow, there's so much useful information in this thread. I read through the first 200 posts.

I'm really interested in getting into motorcycles. I don't know ANYTHING about them, besides what I read in this thread. I don't know anyone that has one either.

The local techincal college has a MSF course I will take. How do I go about getting a motorcycle license? What comes first, the license or the course, or what? I'm assuming I should take the MSF, then I guess there's a permit I can get so I can practice for the actual license, and go from there.

I'm 5'10" 240lbs, and if I were to choose a bike right now, I'd go for the Kawasaki EX500 (only from what I've read in this thread). Is that too much bike, or should that be OK for me? I'm sure I'll learn a lot more soon enough.

I plan on going to a local motorbike shop and ask a bunch of questions there tomorrow. This sounds like a lot of fun.

--
also I think it'd be nice to have some motorcycle terminology in the original post.. I had a hard time figuring out what "faired" or "fairings" means

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

You can go to the dmv or the msf first. Doesnt matter. Though I did the msf first and it makes sense to do that first.

fairings = plastics

Last edited by HunteR; 03-12-2006 at 09:37 PM..

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunteR
You can go to the dmv or the msf first. Doesnt matter. Though I did the msf first and it makes sense to do that first.

fairings = plastics

In California and perhaps other states, an MSF certification saves you the trouble of a physical DMV riding test.

mattress

Well, I did a little research today. My local tech college has the course. it's $225 for the MSF course, and taking the physical DMV test is still required. She did tell me I will save a bunch of money on my car insurance (no pun intended..) by taking this. some kind of insurance break.

I was assuming this course would be a semester long, but it's only 3 days. 6pm-10pm friday night, and 8-12 saturday and sunday.

I'm hoping I will get enough experience and understanding of motorcycles in such a short time period.

I also went to a local bike shop (only 1 around here I know of...) and the guy tried his best trying to talk me into buying a brand new ex500 for $3,995.. man that thing was beautiful... I had to resist though, I really really really have my mind set on getting a used "beater" as my first bike. I left my phone number, and told him to call me when he gets some used ones in. Otherwise, there aren't any in my local classifieds, and I don't know where else to look for a decently priced bike.

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

mattress: craigslist is a good source for them

McKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattress
Well, I did a little research today. My local tech college has the course. it's $225 for the MSF course, and taking the physical DMV test is still required. She did tell me I will save a bunch of money on my car insurance (no pun intended..) by taking this. some kind of insurance break.

I was assuming this course would be a semester long, but it's only 3 days. 6pm-10pm friday night, and 8-12 saturday and sunday.

I'm hoping I will get enough experience and understanding of motorcycles in such a short time period.

I also went to a local bike shop (only 1 around here I know of...) and the guy tried his best trying to talk me into buying a brand new ex500 for $3,995.. man that thing was beautiful... I had to resist though, I really really really have my mind set on getting a used "beater" as my first bike. I left my phone number, and told him to call me when he gets some used ones in. Otherwise, there aren't any in my local classifieds, and I don't know where else to look for a decently priced bike.

That doesnt sound right. You shouldnt have to do the dmv riding portion if you do the MSF course. The lady didnt know what she was talking about, and was just trying to make you sign up. It gives you a very small insurance discount. Like less than 5% And you have to take the class every certain amount of years to keep the discount. There are a lot of loop holes in it for different insurance agencies. Dont take for that so much as learning the basics and learning good habit most of all.

Bapes
RMTC is the only man that can handle my tits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilocybes
great pics det

ditto

me borrowing my friend's bike

McKnight

More pics or

Psilocybes

Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush
mattress: craigslist is a good source for them

thats where i got my bike. Craigslist is pretty busy in the bay area tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapes
ditto

me borrowing my friend's bike

[im]http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/3893/babybikerchick0jw.jpg[/img]

Ohh you look good on that bike.
My girl cant flat foot her bike... doesnt stop her from riding.