General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve
Maybe because I ride one?

It's a lot easier to make a mistake on a bike like that, especially when you're trying to take the skills you just learned in the MSF and apply them to riding on the street. Looking through turns, leaning, countersteering, rolling on the throttle, traffic, etc... all happen a LOT faster on a bike like that, and there's much less margin for error. Especially on the throttle and the brakes.

Now, I ALSO know Fatal pretty well from #cartalk, and we've been ribbing him on this one for quite a while. It's all in good fun, and he knows that.
Actually, I think when it comes to people who've taken the MSF course and know how dangerous a bike can be, the problem isn't treating it with respect it's being so respectful of the bike that they never learn how to actually push it to the limits. Also, in some cases people learn horrible core riding habits.
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows
Actually, I think when it comes to people who've taken the MSF course and know how dangerous a bike can be, the problem isn't treating it with respect it's being so respectful of the bike that they never learn how to actually push it to the limits. Also, in some cases people learn horrible core riding habits.
I'll agree, in that it does take practice to start actually riding the bike, and trusting it (damn these sportsbikes can lean!), but I hven't met someone yet who didn't have to make adjustments to match the much more sensitive throttle on a 600+cc I4 vs the twins we all learned on (or even some of the big cruiser twins that they drove).

How Do you push it to the limits, anyway?
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve
How Do you push it to the limits, anyway?
Usually by learning how to powerslide into an onramp at 120mph.

I mean... on the track.
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

lopoetve

Quote:
Usually by learning how to powerslide into an onramp at 120mph.

I mean... on the track.

O_O

there are some limits I don't WANT to find.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Or going into a corner waaaay too hot, with a cliff on your side of the road, and having a car coming the other way to keep you from crossing over the yellow, and having to lean the bike twice as far as you ever have before to save your ass

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunteR
Or going into a corner waaaay too hot, with a cliff on your side of the road, and having a car coming the other way to keep you from crossing over the yellow, and having to lean the bike twice as far as you ever have before to save your ass

now that one... that one I've done Took a break for a bit afterwards...
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

electric!sheep

Here's a tip for loose riding surfaces, be it rainy tarmac, gravel, or just that moment when your tires break loose. The normal cornering method has you leaned over (with) the bike, on the inside of the turn. This lowers your center of gravity and puts more weight on the contact patch from a lateral direction. Great in most situations. However, when your contact patch wants to move sideways as well, what are you to do? Load it from the top! Let the bike lean under you, and stay on top of it with weight on the outside peg. When a rally racer goes into a 90mph sweeper on a dusty gravel road, he moves the bike below him, staying on the outside peg to load down onto the contact patch. This is also applicable in rainy road-racing situations, where, again, more top-down force is required to keep the contact patch nailed.

SNaray8442

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/196833700.html

Any idea on how much that'll cost to bring back to riding condition? he sent this as well:

"I dont' think it needs much. The paint isn't in the best
shape, and it does need a new peg and the brake lever is bent from when it
was laid down. It does have a clear title"

seems like a pretty good deal to me

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

it may well have a bent frame and/or forks

i wouldn't buy a predropped bike that you can't have someone test ride

electric!sheep

If it's dropped you usually get twisted forks, not "bent" forks. In other words, if it was dropped under 15mph it's just a few twists away from straight. As for the carbs, you could be out a few hundred for a full rebuild. Or it might just take a bit of b12 chemtool. Still, I wouldn't fuck with a bike that's been so neglected. "Bad carbs" is code for any number of bigger issues.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
If it's dropped you usually get twisted forks, not "bent" forks. In other words, if it was dropped under 15mph it's just a few twists away from straight. As for the carbs, you could be out a few hundred for a full rebuild. Or it might just take a bit of b12 chemtool. Still, I wouldn't fuck with a bike that's been so neglected. "Bad carbs" is code for any number of bigger issues.
Question, how do you straighten twisted forks?

Mandres

Loosen the fork clamps and twist. Putting the front wheel up against a wall helps to keep it squared up.

princess0fdiabl0

I went out yesterday for a 100 mile ride... near the start of it though, the fog was so dense it was collecting on my helmet like rain I had to stop for a few minutes to collect my bearings as i know riding like that even for a few minutes really wasnt that safe esp when visibility was maybe 200 ft at best.

Note to self: wait another hour on sunday mornings before riding next time (got sunny later on)

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres
Loosen the fork clamps and twist. Putting the front wheel up against a wall helps to keep it squared up.
I don't have my bikes to look at, but the fork clamps are different from the triple tree, right?

electric!sheep

Quote:
I don't have my bikes to look at, but the fork clamps are different from the triple tree, right?

No, the triple-tee clamps on to the fork tubes. The idea is that the fork tubes can twist in the clamps (usually only 14lb/ft of torque on those clamp bolts) and put the wheel at an angle, or offset the lower clamp from the upper clamp. You might not even need to loosen the clamps. To square up the lower clamp, you can bang it on the stopper (bad way), or bang the front tire against an immobile object to untwist the whole assembly. Or you can get someone hold the front immobile and jerk on the bars. Or you can loosen everything up and do it the right way...