General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

WeLandedOnTheMoon!

The Dalai Lama - Interreligious Harmony?

I've been taking philosophy this semester and we read a section by the dalai lama. It was one that I actually found interesting. First off, he comes across as a really nice guy, and he is certainly a visionary. My experiences with religion in general are very limited, so I'm fairly ignorant on these topics.

He talks about how modern society could benefit from interreligious harmony. He said that two things stopping this from happening are:

diversity;differences between religions &
political and economic differences at an institutional level

The dalai lama thinks that if a person has a strong faith they are better equipped to handle diversity and life in general. If everyone appreciated everyone else's religious traditions/beliefs there wouldn't be anything stopping harmony.

I found this very interesting since I can never see this happening. I think he's a dreamer. How can most religions get along? People are just different and will always have their differences, especially when it comes to religion.

Anyone believe in what this guys says?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

MrMaN383
Asshole Licking Douchebag

religion is the problem. everyone thinks they have the 'one true faith' and worship the 'one true god' and then hate on anyone who isnt like them. why? because their spiritual book usually tells them that the 'others' are evil/wrong/sinful/ignorant/etc.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

I doesn't take "appreciating" others religions...just respecting their right to practice them within the laws of the host country. Oh, and also.....not seeing people who believe differently than you as inferior or the "enemy"  hello Islam? Does the shoe fit.. 

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLandedOnTheMoon! View Post
If everyone appreciated everyone else's religious traditions/beliefs there wouldn't be anything stopping harmony.
Gee, if only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaN383 View Post
religion is the problem. everyone thinks they have the 'one true faith' and worship the 'one true god' and then hate on anyone who isnt like them. why? because their spiritual book usually tells them that the 'others' are evil/wrong/sinful/ignorant/etc.
QFT

Zen0ps

Whoo, strong faith is pretty dangerous though... for any religion, not just Buddism.

A little bit of leeriness and doubt is a good thing. Look at what happened with Hitler, everyone did not question any of his motives - Germans basically followed him with blind faith. Look what happened there.

I still fear the day that the Dalai Lama says for people to strap dynamite to their chests and go to the Olympic games or any nation. You know what? Strong faith is the only thing that would let them do that.

WeLandedOnTheMoon!

He definately preaches strong faith, but I think his point of the "role of religion in modern society" is to show what's needed to achieve harmony between all religions. I think it's a noble cause but ultimately a waste of time.

It seemed to be that religious beliefs have been bred into people. I live in the south so I've noticed its a way of life for most people here. They are raised on their religion and its second nature to them. They don't question it, they just take it all in and live the life they were raised to live. This is one reason I don't see a southern baptist accepting the views of a muslim or a jewish person.

PopeKevinI

Quote:

My book also tells me that the validity of others' religious beliefs are irrelevant to me. I do worship the one true God, anyone who doesn't is wrong, and I'll do what I can to show them the Way, but my religion doesn't teach me to force my beliefs upon others, nor does it teach me to despise others for not sharing them. We all have the God-given right to choose; why hate someone for making a choice?

Last edited by PopeKevinI; 04-30-2008 at 05:29 PM..

MrMaN383

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeKevinI View Post
My book also tells me that the validity of others' religious beliefs are irrelevant to me. I do worship the one true God, anyone who doesn't is wrong, and I'll do what I can to show them the Way, but my religion doesn't teach me to force my beliefs upon others, nor does it teach me to despise others for not sharing them. We all have the God-given right to choose; should why hate someone for making a choice?

so then you wouldnt mind me building a strip club next door and worshiping my one true god, me? i can be as hedonistic as i want and the most youll do is get punched in the face for bringing that word of god shit to me once, right? then youll shut the fuck up, leave me alone and worship your imaginary friend in silence. somehow the world doesnt seem to work that way.

PopeKevinI

Quote:
so then you wouldnt mind me building a strip club next door and worshiping my one true god, me? i can be as hedonistic as i want and the most youll do is get punched in the face for bringing that word of god shit to me once, right? then youll shut the fuck up, leave me alone and worship your imaginary friend in silence. somehow the world doesnt seem to work that way.

Hedonism isn't quite the same when you're incarcerated for assault.

Now, if you'd care to be as civil as I endeavor to be, then a polite "I'm *really* not interested" is sufficient for the majority of would-be evangelists.

edit: and it's no business of yours whether I worship God in silence or otherwise.

MrMaN383

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeKevinI View Post
Hedonism isn't quite the same when you're incarcerated for assault.

Now, if you'd care to be as civil as I endeavor to be, then a polite "I'm *really* not interested" is sufficient for the majority of would-be evangelists.

edit: and it's no business of yours whether I worship God in silence or otherwise.

blah blah blah so basically you arent going to just leave people alone, youve got to push your shit on them and piss them off. good way to live in harmony.

Supafly TNT

Quote:
blah blah blah so basically you arent going to just leave people alone, youve got to push your shit on them and piss them off. good way to live in harmony.

why do you get violent if someone discusses their belief with you? punch a guy in the face for discussing something with you? you are being uncivilized if you do so, which i think you really do not do in real life but like to think you would when you're on the internet.

WeLandedOnTheMoon!

Yeah I was looking for ideas based on people that actually have faith. Not trying to start a religious vs. non-religious battle here.

Although I see there is no harmony there either.

MrMaN383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly TNT View Post
why do you get violent if someone discusses their belief with you? punch a guy in the face for discussing something with you? you are being uncivilized if you do so, which i think you really do not do in real life but like to think you would when you're on the internet.

uh huh. so you know me? its a hypothetical, i dont answer the door for jesus salesmen. im making the point that as much as someone wants to talk about how they arent bothering someone, they will. i dont have a problem with the 'my god can beat up your god' nonsense, believe what you want. the problem is that mentality leads to 'we have to show them the truth' and they start hassling people who clearly arent interested.

thats why i made it a strip club. do you really think a strip club owner has any interest in hearing fiddly diddly flanders come tell him about god and how hes gonna burn in hell? so why on earth would you bother trying to convert him? thus, conflict and hate amongst religious groups and also the rest of us. note how the only ones who arent delusional fucks are the filthy heathens. you dont see the strippers trying to score lap dances at a monastery do you? they know their audience and stick to it.

ry_goody

well i agree with the dalai lama and am perhaps even a little more out there than him, as I like to say, I believe in every religion. If you cannot cross reference, intermix, take into account and fit into an overbearing context all religious and philosophical notion and still hold the same exact beliefs... then your missing something and are probably wrong

atheists may think they do this, but actually they just have this wildcard bin labelled 'crazy' which they throw anything into that is too diffucult for them to deal with

Last edited by ry_goody; 04-30-2008 at 09:01 PM..

WeLandedOnTheMoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
well i agree with the dalai lama and am perhaps even a little more out there than him, as I like to say, I believe in every religion. If you cannot cross reference, intermix, take into account and fit into an overbearing context all religious and philosophical notion and still hold the same exact beliefs... then your missing something and are probably wrong

atheists may think they do this, but actually they just have this wildcard bin labelled 'crazy' which they throw anything into that is too diffucult for them to deal with

Do you mind going into a little more detail about your specific beliefs? Or do you just believe that every religion is right in its own context? My problem is I don't know a whole lot about any specific religion, so I don't see how you could believe in all of them at once.