General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazehell View Post
Oh and any other chip manufacturer can use the PowerVR GPU. It however seems like most shy away from it due in part to it's massive die size!

Alot of devices have PowerVR chips, but Apple devices always get the newest ones first, and continue to have the most advanced ones.

This let the iPad 2 have twice the GPU power of competitors at it's time:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/a...p2-benchmarked
And let the iPad 3 have more GPU power than the competitors of it's time (keep in mind the ipad 3 is in RETINA and the transformer isn't, so the iPad 3's GPU is still twice as fast as the leading competitor)
http://www.dailytech.com/Biting+Into...ticle24222.htm
And yet again let the iPad 4 have a SIGNIFCANT advantage in GPU power over the other competitors:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/i...under-the-hood
The iPad 4 has nearly twice the GPU performance over the current competitors, and keep in mind the iPad4 is in FULL 2048x1536 retina. The iPad 4's GPU is WAY faster than what anything else has.

and I bet you iPad 5 will be the first to feature a rogue series chip, again ensuring Apple's device are the most powerful on the market.

PowerVR and Apple are absolutely dominating the market in terms of GPU performance, and this is no fluke. It is strategic, they have there eyes set on taking a huge bite of the game industry.

To state that most other companies don't use PowerVR chips because of die size seems like to me, do you have any reasoning to back this up? I have actually been seriosuly wondering why other companies don't use PowerVR chips as much because the PowerVR GPU's have demonstrated themselves to be the most powerfull and also offer the most battery life when rendering intensive graphics. They are the superior chip based on benchmarks.

If the only reason other companies are not using powervr as much is because the engineers of androids can't figure out how to fit the chip into as compact a package as neatly as Apple engineers can, then thats actually kind of a mark down in points for engineers making android handsets. To forego the best performing chip because they don't know how to fit it into their schematics is stupid. Lack of PowerVR is a mark AGAINST android, not a feature.

I suspect that can't possibly be the case.

My thought on why other companies don't go to PowerVR as much is because they don't want to inadvertently help Apple. Remember, Apple owns 10% of PowerVR, and this was a very strategic investment to get in tight with PowerVR to ensure that Apple Mobile devices will always be ahead of the curve in the GPU department. The latest and most Advanced PowerVR tech has always ended up in Apple devices first, and I don't think this is any coincidence, some agreement had to of been made with Apple's investment to ensure that Apple got first dibs on the new PowerVR tech.

If someone like Samsung or Google starts buying up PowerVR chips to stick in their phones, they are then essentially funding the R&D of PowerVR chips, the most advanced of which will end up in Apple devices first. So if Google and Samsung used PowerVR chips, they would be funding Apples increasing competitive edge.

This is reason I think is much more likely.

Another potential reason only Apple is going to PowerVR is because only Apple has realized that phones and tablets are going to be next major gaming platform, and are trying to be the first to get recognized as having a tablet or phone that can offer graphical capabilites on par with a current, and next-gen console (Mobile GPU's will surpass the GPU in next gen consoles within 5 years at the rate its going, and at the rate consoles get updated. PowerVR GPU's have demonstrated themselves as being the closest to doing this thus far).

Last edited by dio; 12-13-2012 at 09:14 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Grazehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Alot of devices have PowerVR chips, but Apple devices always get the newest ones first, and continue to have the most advanced ones.

This let the iPad 2 have twice the GPU power of competitors at it's time:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/a...p2-benchmarked
And let the iPad 3 have more GPU power than the competitors of it's time (keep in mind the ipad 3 is in RETINA and the transformer isn't, so the iPad 3's GPU is still twice as fast as the leading competitor)
http://www.dailytech.com/Biting+Into...ticle24222.htm
And yet again let the iPad 4 have a SIGNIFCANT advantage in GPU power over the other competitors:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/i...under-the-hood
The iPad 4 has nearly twice the GPU performance over the current competitors, and keep in mind the iPad4 is in FULL 2048x1536 retina. The iPad 4's GPU is WAY faster than what anything else has.

and I bet you iPad 5 will be the first to feature a rogue series chip, again ensuring Apple's device are the most powerful on the market.

PowerVR and Apple are absolutely dominating the market in terms of GPU performance, and this is no fluke. It is strategic, they have there eyes set on taking a huge bite of the game industry.

To state that most other companies don't use PowerVR chips because of die size seems like to me, do you have any reasoning to back this up? I have actually been seriosuly wondering why other companies don't use PowerVR chips as much because the PowerVR GPU's have demonstrated themselves to be the most powerfull and also offer the most battery life when rendering intensive graphics. They are the superior chip based on benchmarks.

If the only reason other companies are not using powervr as much is because the engineers of androids can't figure out how to fit the chip into as compact a package as neatly as Apple engineers can, then thats actually kind of a mark down in points for engineers making android handsets. To forego the best performing chip because they don't know how to fit it into their schematics is stupid. Lack of PowerVR is a mark AGAINST android, not a feature.

I suspect that can't possibly be the case.

My thought on why other companies don't go to PowerVR as much is because they don't want to inadvertently help Apple. Remember, Apple owns 10% of PowerVR, and this was a very strategic investment to get in tight with PowerVR to ensure that Apple Mobile devices will always be ahead of the curve in the GPU department. The latest and most Advanced PowerVR tech has always ended up in Apple devices first, and I don't think this is any coincidence, some agreement had to of been made with Apple's investment to ensure that Apple got first dibs on the new PowerVR tech.

If someone like Samsung or Google starts buying up PowerVR chips to stick in their phones, they are then essentially funding the R&D of PowerVR chips, the most advanced of which will end up in Apple devices first. So if Google and Samsung used PowerVR chips, they would be funding Apples increasing competitive edge.

This is reason I think is much more likely.

Another potential reason only Apple is going to PowerVR is because only Apple has realized that phones and tablets are going to be next major gaming platform, and are trying to be the first to get recognized as having a tablet or phone that can offer graphical capabilites on par with a current, and next-gen console (Mobile GPU's will surpass the GPU in next gen consoles within 5 years at the rate its going, and at the rate consoles get updated. PowerVR GPU's have demonstrated themselves as being the closest to doing this thus far).

You're a god damn motherfucking idiot!
That's all, thanks!