General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

revhappy

What the.. what's this no passing BS? Must be a law only that's in effect in certain states.. I pass cops all the time, as does everyone else here in TX. The only time you'll get a ticket here is if there's a cop pulled over on the shoulder of the freeway, you're supposed to move a lane over when driving by for the cops safety but that's about it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Clos
cheezy

I got pulled over by a county cop on the highway once. He was in the left lane cruising at about 65mph, in a 70mph zone. When I came up on him at about 73mph (I'm not an idiot and usually don't blow the doors off of people who are kind enough to get out of my way, especially the police), he got in the right lane, then pulled me over.

Keep in mind we're less than 1/2 mile from the next offramp (both of our destinations).

He drove up next to my window instead of getting out, apparently to give me a lecture.

Him - "Do you know what the speed limit is?"
Me - "Yes, do you know how fast you were going though?"
Him - "Ok yeah, well it doesn't look good when you pass a squad car. You can't give everyone the idea that they can just drive however they want out here."
Me - "Well, I figured that you might be getting off at this exit because the post is down the road, and you were slowing down. Have a nice day!"

Flustered cop was flustered, rolled up his window, and drove off.

Seeing as it was my exit too, I followed him, and we drove quite quickly until he turned off. Overall not a bad encounter, especially considering where I was, the obnoxiously loud 3" exhaust I had at the time, and the 20% tint on the windows. First and only time being pulled over in the S2K.

I've been passing cars all winter, regardless who they are. I'm a little tired of the idiots driving 30 in a 55 when theres a light dusting of powder on the road, or when it's snowing a little and visibility is still as far as the eye can see. It's like people are absolutely afraid of just falling off the road.

_cashel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
I got pulled over by a county cop on the highway once. He was in the left lane cruising at about 65mph, in a 70mph zone. When I came up on him at about 73mph (I'm not an idiot and usually don't blow the doors off of people who are kind enough to get out of my way, especially the police), he got in the right lane, then pulled me over.

I had this exact situation happen to me about a year or so ago, and the cop pulled me over. I told him my speedometer was off slightly due to my tires, then he proceeded to argue with me that tire size had no effect on a speedometer whatsoever. Ended up giving me a warning and left.

claffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cashel View Post
I had this exact situation happen to me about a year or so ago, and the cop pulled me over. I told him my speedometer was off slightly due to my tires, then he proceeded to argue with me that tire size had no effect on a speedometer whatsoever. Ended up giving me a warning and left.

Not saying the cop isn't an idiot, but tire size/speedo discrepencies won't get you off a speeding ticket.

I like my girls like I like my bikes: fast, naked, and barely legal.

Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and reckless steals the show.

zoopnazi
no zoop for you

Your writing style is atrocious. I couldn't get past the third paragraph, and about all I understood was that it's snowy out today.

California Pizza Chicken

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopnazi View Post
Your writing style is atrocious. I couldn't get past the third paragraph, and about all I understood was that it's snowy out today.

Well considering you don't need a major in English Lit. to register why should I care?

I never once said I was good writer/at grammar/at spelling. If that is all you have to add then well kthxdie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
I've been passing cars all winter, regardless who they are. I'm a little tired of the idiots driving 30 in a 55 when theres a light dusting of powder on the road, or when it's snowing a little and visibility is still as far as the eye can see. It's like people are absolutely afraid of just falling off the road.

TSRH

My wife always brings up this point all the time. Some of the people in my area have lived here all their life (50+) years and they still don't realize it snows during the winter. She knows she sucks at evasive action(getting better though) in the snow/wet which is why one of the requirements for her is a car with ABS/ESP/TC but she is also smart enough that if the highway is completely packed down with snow to no go 5mph with the hazards on. Limp home at 40-45mph and maintain large stopping distances. Do not go 5mph and turn yourself into an accident waiting to happen for inattentive drivers.

I have learned that you need to come into a corner under power and slightly power through it with the Forester. It seems with no power to the wheels the fronts just understeer but a slight increase and they will pull through. Too much and the back will oversteer. This only works if you are going the correct speed and not rally driving through Main St.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

Last edited by Thermo1223; 01-04-2010 at 08:20 AM..

godofcheese

Well, at least you didn't get a ticket.

The best I had was a ticket for "excessive acceleration" The judge didn't even know what that one was. He also tried to get me to admit to speeding after following me w/o lights for 10 blocks. Good times, good times.

Electrikfuzz050

You should try yelling and swearing at him next time, it'll help.

Gasdrinker69

If i see a cop ahead, i'll slow down & turn off my lights & pass him at 200+ over what he is doing... i'll wait for him to respond,, they never do...

oh how i love the sl merc.

LOOK ITS BOB
☻/ Bob struggles with anorexia and an overall poor body image
/I everyone likes a skinny person though
/ \ Bob's a hero

holmgren
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

I got pulled over once for going 45 in a (get this) 45mph zone...haha.

Cop: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: Uh?...45?
Cop: Exactly. Do you know this is a 30mph zone?
Me: errrr um. It's 45mph
Cop: Oh shit...its been a long day. Have a nice day.

lol. it was pretty funny.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongboy View Post
don't talk means when they come up and ask you "do you know why I stopped you?" you say "nope"

and then they ask for your license & reg and if they try and make any small talk just brush it off, always.

can I search your car "unless i'm legally obligated to oblige, no"

don't say "I wasn't there, I was X" because when you were actually only at X for half the time, etc etc watch the video, it lays it out really well

when i stop someone and they are honest, that means alot more to me than them playing mute. I'm looking to write warnings when i stop people aside from very blatant violations (i only get a few of these an entire month). When i stop people i am almost always looking to write them a warning. There are some instances when people decide they want to talk me out of a warning, and that's fine by me. The entire point of doing traffic enforcement is getting people to understand the laws. Usually a warning will do the job fine.

Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
The entire point of doing traffic enforcement is getting people to understand the laws.
You'd better keep that opinion to yourself or you won't have your job very long. Everyone else knows the entire point of traffic enforcement is revenue generation.

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
when i stop someone and they are honest, that means alot more to me than them playing mute. I'm looking to write warnings when i stop people aside from very blatant violations (i only get a few of these an entire month). When i stop people i am almost always looking to write them a warning. There are some instances when people decide they want to talk me out of a warning, and that's fine by me. The entire point of doing traffic enforcement is getting people to understand the laws. Usually a warning will do the job fine.

Maybe so, but it's safer just to keep my mouth closed and deal with it in court. No offense intended at all, but I keep quiet and exercise my rights.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post
The other day I was cruising along as usual in my BMW coming onto one of my motorways, which was very busy with inferior cars.

First off, I couldn't believe that the volume of traffic DIDN'T slow down for me AT ALL as I came off the slip road! I had to squeeze into a barely big enough gap between two cars in order to get onto my motorway! (The driver of the car behind me did realise his mistake though and honked an apology to me with a long blast of his horn.)

Unbelievably, I had to do the same again before I could get to the BMW lane. (Why do underlings use this lane? Surely everyone knows it is for BMW drivers only?)

Anyway, once I was in the BMW lane and posing along at 110mph enjoying the adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed an inferior car ahead of me which was not only in the BMW lane of my motorway, but was driving at a ridiculous 70 mph!

Naturally, I got to within a foot or so of his rear bumper and flashed my headlights to remind him he shouldn't be in the BMW lane of my motorway and to get out of my way.

Of course, once he realised it was a BMW behind him, he did just that, but I could hardly believe it when he pulled straight back out behind me! He also tried to keep up with me and when he realised I would out-run him, he put on some blue lights in his front grill and urged me to get onto the hard shoulder so that he could congratulate me on my excellent car.

Needless to say, I was eager oblige and when we had stopped, the man gave me a piece of paper confirming what I already knew - that my car goes fast! Apparently he wants everyone to know what a superior car I have, so I had to take my driver's licence to a Police Station to be sent away to have some points put on! (They're not free points either - they're 20 each and I was only allowed 3.) But the man at the Police Station said that because I drive a BMW, it won't be much longer before I earn the full 12 points, and then I won't even NEED a driving licence, so they will take it off me! See, now THAT's the sort of respect you get when you buy and drive a BMW.

The most hilarious part about this is that he's european. I thought this was a problem confined merely to southern CA due to the large amount of self-important assholes here, but no... it is in fact a worldwide BMW driver problem. Douchebags drive BMWs... it's a global phenomenon.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashingPumpkins View Post
cops are bound by "due regard"

they just walk on everything. fuck the police. i was a public servant and an emergency vehicle operator and i fucking hate the cops.

but: YOU DON'T PASS COPS

jesus christ why don't people get this. What you did had NOTHING to do with why you were pulled over, it had everything to do with you IGNORING a cop. Cops don't like that, they perceve it as disrespect and you just disrespected them, you're gonna get pulled over.

Just don't fucking do it, let them pass and then haul ass.

If conditions warrant it, and I"m doing the speed limit, I'll pass a cop and not even think twice. The last time I passed a cop and got pulled over, I was in I45 traffic coming out of Houston, in the left lane, moving about 50mph, 5mph faster than the right lane, in heavy traffic. I passed a state trooper who popped in right behind me, and hit the lights. He said it was because I had a license plate frame that was illegal (it was, I had never remembered it, and it was almost two years since that law passed). I have no idea what the real reason was, I don't think he could tell it was a Lightning, unless he heard the exhaust (on his side, and I don't think it's THAT loud). (shrug)

I do know he was going to go easy on me because he saw the FEMA badge I was wearing, and because I was totally respectful.

But that whole on the passing in the snow?? cops can be such aregs!

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~