General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
chronage
 
chronage's Avatar
 
Do you guys think a Ninja 250 would be too small for a 6'0 guy as a first bike? I'm not heavy or anything, but I had one friend who said it would "look weird." A cheaper <2k bike is all that's in the budget for now if I want to buy some good safety gear.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:25 AM chronage is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7756  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronage View Post
Do you guys think a Ninja 250 would be too small for a 6'0 guy as a first bike? I'm not heavy or anything, but I had one friend who said it would "look weird." A cheaper <2k bike is all that's in the budget for now if I want to buy some good safety gear.

No?

What do you weigh, is a more important question: if you're 6'0 and 160 it's one thing, if you're 6'0 and 315 it's another.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 AM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7757  

chronage
 
chronage's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
No?

What do you weigh, is a more important question: if you're 6'0 and 160 it's one thing, if you're 6'0 and 315 it's another.

6'0, 160 coincidentally . I was more concerned with the height part (i'm a total noob who has MSF classes this friday). This thread is amazing
Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 AM chronage is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7758  

Rancidpunk666
 
Rancidpunk666's Avatar
 
250 will be fine, but you're probably going to get bored with it in no time. I'd opt for the 500 and at least get a full season out of it before you get bord.
__________________
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Senator Date Rape
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings
Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 AM Rancidpunk666 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7759  

claffix
 
claffix's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronage View Post
Do you guys think a Ninja 250 would be too small for a 6'0 guy as a first bike? I'm not heavy or anything, but I had one friend who said it would "look weird." A cheaper <2k bike is all that's in the budget for now if I want to buy some good safety gear.

Gonna look a lot weirder if you end up crashing a bike you can't handle. Besides, there aren't too many bikes with better resale value than the (88-2007) ninja 250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post
250 will be fine, but you're probably going to get bored with it in no time. I'd opt for the 500 and at least get a full season out of it before you get bord.

Getting bored and reaching the full potential of the bike are two different things.
__________________
I've spent most of my money on booze and fast toys...the rest was just wasted.

I like my girls like I like my bikes: fast, naked, and barely legal.

Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and reckless steals the show.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:30 AM claffix is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7760  

Rancidpunk666
 
Rancidpunk666's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by claffix View Post
Gonna look a lot weirder if you end up crashing a bike you can't handle. Besides, there aren't too many bikes with better resale value than the (88-2007) ninja 250.



Getting bored and reaching the full potential of the bike are two different things.

not even going to start this argument if you feel the need to send me a pm
__________________
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Senator Date Rape
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings
Old 03-02-2011, 04:32 AM Rancidpunk666 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7761  

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek
 
Junkie Mod's Avatar
 
I was about 5lb heavier and an inch or two taller when I started riding. I put 8k on my 250...
Old 03-02-2011, 09:16 AM Junkie Mod is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7762  

chronage
 
chronage's Avatar
 
Cool, i'll probably start there then. Ninja 250s are ridiculously cheap (more concerned with cost than speed at this point). Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by chronage; 03-02-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Old 03-02-2011, 11:15 AM chronage is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7763  

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek
 
Junkie Mod's Avatar
 
You could also look at a GS500 or EX500.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 PM Junkie Mod is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7764  

chronage
 
chronage's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush View Post
You could also look at a GS500 or EX500.

I have been, but they are quite a bit more expensive than the 250 in my area. I havent come across any GS500s or EX500s under $2800 or so.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:16 PM chronage is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7765  

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got
 
DopefishLives's Avatar
 
We're considering a Kawasaki EX250 for the wife, assuming we can't locate the Aprilia she desires. Bike sizing is outlandish in the states -- most countries consider a 250 a mainstream motorcycle where that idea doesn't start until 600cc in the states.

I have a liter bike and it is WAY too much bike, I love it, but I'll never touch it's limits; reaching mine well ahead of the machine's. I'd happily ride a 250, and almost bought one, but the price gouging at the time was so ridiculous that I picked the better value per dollar option.
__________________
Wow | So E92 | Very 335i | Much ///M Sport
Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM DopefishLives is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7766  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush View Post
I was about 5lb heavier and an inch or two taller when I started riding. I put 8k on my 250...

Wait wat

How do you get un-taller?
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7767  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
We're considering a Kawasaki EX250 for the wife, assuming we can't locate the Aprilia she desires. Bike sizing is outlandish in the states -- most countries consider a 250 a mainstream motorcycle where that idea doesn't start until 600cc in the states.

I have a liter bike and it is WAY too much bike, I love it, but I'll never touch it's limits; reaching mine well ahead of the machine's. I'd happily ride a 250, and almost bought one, but the price gouging at the time was so ridiculous that I picked the better value per dollar option.

Has to do with the geography of the country as well as their mean-average rider weight

In the US we have fat people and a lot of really long, straight freeways.

In bengladesh/BFE there's twisty one-lane mountain roads and 110lb underfed injuns. Plus they commute on bikes, we just collect speeding tickets.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7768  

chronage
 
chronage's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Wait wat

How do you get un-taller?

lol, he meant compared to me
Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM chronage is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7769  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronage View Post
lol, he meant compared to me

Oh lol.


i thought he had a vertibrae removed
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 03-02-2011, 03:02 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7770  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.