General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Ray Charles
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Actually it really does matter what the miracle was because it speaks to the very nature of God. God created a universe that rewards human intelligence, inquiry, and skepticism so the idea that we should just accept anything supernatural without questioning the reasoning and nature behind it are ridiculous.

I take it from your story that you're not Catholic, so I'd like your interpretation of this supposed miracle (and in my mind the most significant and believable "miracle" ever recorded). In the miracle of Fatima God (using Mary and the children) made it extremely clear that those who where not Catholics and refused to convert where going to experience a suffering beyond description when they died. How do you reconcile your belief in miracles with the message from the Virgin Mary?

I had not heard of this before now, so I'm assuming that you're referring to the events mentioned in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Fatima

I'll apply the standard that I mentioned above to this event: Does it agree with the Bible? Well, mostly. Most of it isn't commands, but simply visions. The first and third secrets are just a picture of Hell and then of Martyrs. Only the second one contains any commands.

"You have seen hell where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my culate Heart. If what I say to you is done, many souls will be saved and there will be peace. The war is going to end: but if people do not cease offending God, a worse one will break out during the Pontificate of Pius XI. When you see a night illuminated by an unknown light, know that this is the great sign given you by God that he is about to punish the world for its crimes, by means of war, famine, and persecutions of the Church and of the Holy Father. To prevent this, I shall come to ask for the consecration of Russia to my culate Heart, and the Communion of reparation on the First Saturdays. If my requests are heeded, Russia will be converted, and there will be peace; if not, she will spread her errors throughout the world, causing wars and persecutions of the Church. The good will be martyred; the Holy Father will have much to suffer; various nations will be annihilated. In the end, my culate Heart will triumph. The Holy Father will consecrate Russia to me, and she shall be converted, and a period of peace will be granted to the world."

The only part of this that I see as even being questionable is the "To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my culate Heart." That doesn't even state that the world must become Catholic, but that there must be Catholics in the world. I don't know where you get the idea that everyone must become a Catholic. It may be a miracle; All I know is what I've read from that Wikipedia page. From what I've read it doesn't contradict The Bible, so I don't have a problem with it.

To answer your first point: of course we should try to understand why a miracle has occurred and what lessons we can take from it. However, a miracle that is witnessed by 20 people isn't any less of a miracle than one that is witnessed by 50000.
__________________
"You're pretty brave in cyberspace, flame-boy." -- Scott Adams
Gen[M]ay Pro Audio Club
Old 09-13-2007, 02:52 PM Ray Charles is offline  
Reply With Quote
#136  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

ry_goody
 
ry_goody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Your ignorance is only bested by your arrogance.

i try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
He still has a lot more to justify his viewpoints than you....which so far is based on nothing but the opinions of a drug addict.

the opinion of many over many years


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Haha ok.

you discount language far too much. Why do you think japanese become americanized or vice versa? Acquisition of language. What I said was not absurd, it's common sense if you have any ability to objectively observe. Language is the program you run on for many people. Atleast, I assume, 90% of the population still needs languages and words to comprehend and communicate things. Language is there single primary influence to their comprehension of themselves and people around them. Whoever controls this language controls these aspects of the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
There is no reason to believe God exists inside of or part of someone anymore than there is reason to believe he is an external being.

Because the people who claimed personal conversations with him were delirious?
Because it was all just a misunderstanding of stupid people?
I'm sorry, I like comprehension, patterns and structures to my beliefs, not single words to cover up a system as incredibly complex as belief in God. If you want to know the basis of my arrogance, or rather condescendence its because of people like you think they are more intelligent for the ability to comprehend less. No, ignoring the last 50 years of philosopy does not make you more intelligent, no ignoring the entire spiritual development of mankind does not make you more intelligent. It's makes you exactly as those actions imply, only existing in your little bubble of American defined preconception. Please, stop kidding yourself and agree with me or atleast join my level of removing copout words from your comprehension because in your current state I will be able to continue to run circles around you in words as I am currently doing.

Yes, ignore that and laugh, its easier to do then getting rid of your copout words. Join the ranks of strawmen


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
The concept of God or Gods has a large number of sources, including explanations for natural phenomenon, hallucinations, dreams, or simply being made up.

unify them under one context, one structure of comprehension. We are all of the same origin, we all exsist in the same dimension. One context of God is not in actuality different from another context of God, there just different languages used to describe the same thing. The answer is to develop a new language and set of comprehension that can take it ALL into account in the same structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
No, but this isn't part of any modern Western religions claim either and I don't see why you're claim has anymore legitimacy than theirs.

heaven or hell anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Not anymore than anything you've posted.

all you sense of absurdity in my writing is new concepts knocking at your door
which of course to you is absurd... since obviously you know all of it

DELUSIONS, DRUGS, MORAL INCORRECTNESS!

ive heard that before, come back when you have something newer than 50 years ago
__________________
SOMEONE ELSE GAVE ME THIS AVATAR
Old 09-14-2007, 02:26 AM ry_goody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#137  

ry_goody
 
ry_goody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Yes, it used to be an execuse for the priest class to leech off society in exchange for allaying the fears of the superstitious in pre-modern societys.

and its a great topic for hollywood movies! Which unfortunately it seems is what designed your entire preconception of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
I'm not seeing anything that can't be accounted for in music or listening to music using physical explanations. I'm really not sure what this information you're referring to is supposed to be. All sound is information.

the only thing physical explanations take into account are vibrational frequencies
they cannot identify the feeling of euphoria to that frequency, the feeling fear etc
those are thing that requires a human brain to indentify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
My brain has evolved to engender certain behaviors and reactions if that's what you mean.

there is more than what you consciously can comprehend with words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
I can get the same thing from my drug dealer, what's your point?

the number of psychoactive substances that exist in plants as a whole have the ability to provide way more experiences and feelings than what your typical drug dealer will be able to provide. Maybe if your dealer was the writer of phikal I might consider what you just said as anything more than a hopeful assertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Nothing you've posted about actually concerns magic in the modern or pre-modern sense.

yes you are right, it concerns it in the ancient, original sense
__________________
SOMEONE ELSE GAVE ME THIS AVATAR
Old 09-14-2007, 02:32 AM ry_goody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#138  

ry_goody
 
ry_goody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Charles View Post
But I'm not God. I'm sorry for ignoring you thus far, but I've been concentrating on the conversation with Mobiustrip.

I've seen nothing to suggest that I am God, so why do you say that I am? For a moment let's ignore all the repercussions of that assertion and focus on the statement itself. Why should I believe that I'm God?

Well, this is a trap for me tackle because of the vast number of preconceptions about what God is and the simple fact that most people can no longer even comprehend or even have a notion for what God actually is, how it exists and how it functions.

So I ask, define God. Then I'll explain why that definition is the product of internal process.

Please though, keep the definition of Gaia and Chaos in mind when you define it, as you may just really be defining that. Which are external processes. But I wouldn't so much suppose those things are god in the sense of the thing that watches over mankind on a spiritual level.
__________________
SOMEONE ELSE GAVE ME THIS AVATAR
Old 09-14-2007, 02:35 AM ry_goody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#139  

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH
 
Escaped Gorilla Genitals's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
the opinion of many over many years
So it goes for the Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, etc.




Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
you discount language far too much. Why do you think japanese become americanized or vice versa? Acquisition of language. What I said was not absurd, it's common sense if you have any ability to objectively observe. Language is the program you run on for many people. Atleast, I assume, 90% of the population still needs languages and words to comprehend and communicate things. Language is there single primary influence to their comprehension of themselves and people around them. Whoever controls this language controls these aspects of the people.
That language shapes a large part of how people think has been theorized since before the Sapir-Wharf hypothesis. While I agree that language shapes a large part of how people, especially in isolated cultures, think you then added in a whole bunch of unfounded nonsense.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
Because the people who claimed personal conversations with him were delirious?
Because it was all just a misunderstanding of stupid people?
I'm sorry, I like comprehension, patterns and structures to my beliefs, not single words to cover up a system as incredibly complex as belief in God. If you want to know the basis of my arrogance, or rather condescendence its because of people like you think they are more intelligent for the ability to comprehend less. No, ignoring the last 50 years of philosopy does not make you more intelligent, no ignoring the entire spiritual development of mankind does not make you more intelligent. It's makes you exactly as those actions imply, only existing in your little bubble of American defined preconception. Please, stop kidding yourself and agree with me or atleast join my level of removing copout words from your comprehension because in your current state I will be able to continue to run circles around you in words as I am currently doing.
You've not shown an ability to comprehend more though. And I'm not ignoring anything, I've taken in all your arguments and rejected them all because I don't see any evidence to support them or value in them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
Yes, ignore that and laugh, its easier to do then getting rid of your copout words. Join the ranks of strawmen
So it's insulting when I laugh at your ideas but you don't have a problem calling Christians ignorant? Go fuck yourself. I don't skip over what you write and actually take the time to read it (Usually this requires several tries if it's even possible at all) and the conclusion I pull away everytime is that some hippy kid thinks he knows a lot more than he actually does and is a jackass about it. If you think that's a copout fine, I don't really give a shit.




Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
unify them under one context, one structure of comprehension. We are all of the same origin, we all exsist in the same dimension. One context of God is not in actuality different from another context of God, there just different languages used to describe the same thing. The answer is to develop a new language and set of comprehension that can take it ALL into account in the same structure.
No, there are very clearly different concepts of God and the supernatural. To claim they're all the same and you're the one who understand the truth the best is not any different from a Baptist claiming the same thing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
heaven or hell anyone?
I've never met any Christian who ever thought they where actual physical places, and many of those Christians don't believe in a hell at all.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
all you sense of absurdity in my writing is new concepts knocking at your door
which of course to you is absurd... since obviously you know all of it

DELUSIONS, DRUGS, MORAL INCORRECTNESS!

ive heard that before, come back when you have something newer than 50 years ago
Stuff the self righteous up your ass. You can put your ideas forward and I'll look at each one, but don't act like a bitch when they get rejected for lack of evidence or any compelling argument. I've heard most of your arguments before, both on this message board and from other people, so no it's not new concepts knocking at my door that I find absurd, its your arguments themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
and its a great topic for hollywood movies! Which unfortunately it seems is what designed your entire preconception of it
Couple of years of studying pre-modern societys in cultural anthropology and various history books actually.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
the only thing physical explanations take into account are vibrational frequencies
they cannot identify the feeling of euphoria to that frequency, the feeling fear etc
those are thing that requires a human brain to indentify
No, physical explanations also take into account your bodys reaction to the vibrations, which includes the release of chemicals and other procceses that elicit the feelings you describe. Just because science doesn't have a way to put down on paper emotions and feelings of humans (although it can quite easily reproduce them) doesn't mean they can't be explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
there is more than what you consciously can comprehend with words
Ok?



Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
the number of psychoactive substances that exist in plants as a whole have the ability to provide way more experiences and feelings than what your typical drug dealer will be able to provide. Maybe if your dealer was the writer of phikal I might consider what you just said as anything more than a hopeful assertion.
Nor had the vast majority of witches read phikal either I imagine, that didn't stop you from making grandiose claims about them.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
yes you are right, it concerns it in the ancient, original sense
No, not really in that way either.

Last edited by Jim Morrison; 09-14-2007 at 01:23 PM..
Old 09-14-2007, 01:15 PM Escaped Gorilla Genitals is offline  
Reply With Quote
#140  

FSM
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
So it goes for the Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, etc.




That language shapes a large part of how people think has been theorized since before the Sapir-Wharf hypothesis. While I agree that language shapes a large part of how people, especially in isolated cultures, think you then added in a whole bunch of unfounded nonsense.


You've not shown an ability to comprehend more though. And I'm not ignoring anything, I've taken in all your arguments and rejected them all because I don't see any evidence to support them or value in them.


So it's insulting when I laugh at your ideas but you don't have a problem calling Christians ignorant? Go fuck yourself. I don't skip over what you write and actually take the time to read it (Usually this requires several tries if it's even possible at all) and the conclusion I pull away everytime is that some hippy kid thinks he knows a lot more than he actually does and is a jackass about it. If you think that's a copout fine, I don't really give a shit.




No, there are very clearly different concepts of God and the supernatural. To claim they're all the same and you're the one who understand the truth the best is not any different from a Baptist claiming the same thing.



I've never met any Christian who ever thought they where actual physical places, and many of those Christians don't believe in a hell at all.



Stuff the self righteous up your ass. You can put your ideas forward and I'll look at each one, but don't act like a bitch when they get rejected for lack of evidence or any compelling argument. I've heard most of your arguments before, both on this message board and from other people, so no it's not new concepts knocking at my door that I find absurd, its your arguments themselves.


Couple of years of studying pre-modern societys in cultural anthropology and various history books actually.



No, physical explanations also take into account your bodys reaction to the vibrations, which includes the release of chemicals and other procceses that elicit the feelings you describe. Just because science doesn't have a way to put down on paper emotions and feelings of humans (although it can quite easily reproduce them) doesn't mean they can't be explained.

Ok?



Nor had the vast majority of witches read phikal either I imagine, that didn't stop you from making grandiose claims about them.



No, not really in that way either.

Just put ry on your ignore list. He does nothing but spout confusing, wierd gibberish and conjecture.

This conversation has strayed far from the op...
Old 09-15-2007, 10:23 PM FSM is offline  
Reply With Quote
#141  

fatrat2
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
It's just frustrating and disappointing. So many credulous slack-jawed idiots- 70% of the world's population, I'd wager- holding our species back from our potential. And the worst part is that almost every leader of every country in the world (including USA), as well as almost every judge, governor, cop, soldier, celebrity, reporter, tv/radio personality, etc., is part of the 70%. That's why our species will probably destroy itself in some future holy war.

It sucks being a smart person in a world of idiots, primarily full of idiots, primarily ruled and maintained by idiots. There is so little intelligence in the human gene pool, it amazes me that the Rennaissance, scientific revolution, and enlightenment could even take place on this planet, not to mention modern science. In a world of idiot children, how did the 30% who aren't idiots manage to get science off the ground? Amazing...

ps: 'That's ironic, b/c you are an idiot (insert link to other thread by me here) '

K, we got the joke out of the way. Please give good responses now.

pps: there's another thread in the pit asking 'can we just let go of god now?' The answer is no, b/c 70% of people are just too fucking senseless, credulous, and illogical to let that happen. As we see with responses in that very thread (responses like "dude, you should just be like, respectful of people's beliefs") Fucking idiots.

What is ironic to me is instead of picking yourself up and actually doing something with you life, you prefer to sit around and stew in hatred and bitterness. How pathetic.

I normally don't like to give advice to idiots, but it's time to smarten you up with a simple fact:

It only takes one person to move humanity foreward.

One person sparked a worlwide revolt against the Catholic Church, and that movement continues to this day (Martin Luther).

One person shattered the notion that the earth is in the center of the Universe, and even the sun rotates around it (Gallileo).

One person invented the assembly line, and changed the course of the entire Industrial Revolution (Henry Ford).

One person defeated polio (Jonas Salk).

I can give you a ton more, but you already should get the idea.

Are you going to live in bitterness and hatred, or get off your ass and decide to be the one? The only thing holding you back is you.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:25 PM fatrat2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#142  

ry_goody
 
ry_goody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
So it goes for the Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, etc.

That language shapes a large part of how people think has been theorized since before the Sapir-Wharf hypothesis. While I agree that language shapes a large part of how people, especially in isolated cultures, think you then added in a whole bunch of unfounded nonsense.

You've not shown an ability to comprehend more though. And I'm not ignoring anything, I've taken in all your arguments and rejected them all because I don't see any evidence to support them or value in them.

So it's insulting when I laugh at your ideas but you don't have a problem calling Christians ignorant? Go fuck yourself. I don't skip over what you write and actually take the time to read it (Usually this requires several tries if it's even possible at all) and the conclusion I pull away everytime is that some hippy kid thinks he knows a lot more than he actually does and is a jackass about it. If you think that's a copout fine, I don't really give a shit.

No, there are very clearly different concepts of God and the supernatural. To claim they're all the same and you're the one who understand the truth the best is not any different from a Baptist claiming the same thing.

I've never met any Christian who ever thought they where actual physical places, and many of those Christians don't believe in a hell at all.

Stuff the self righteous up your ass. You can put your ideas forward and I'll look at each one, but don't act like a bitch when they get rejected for lack of evidence or any compelling argument. I've heard most of your arguments before, both on this message board and from other people, so no it's not new concepts knocking at my door that I find absurd, its your arguments themselves.

Couple of years of studying pre-modern societys in cultural anthropology and various history books actually.

No, physical explanations also take into account your bodys reaction to the vibrations, which includes the release of chemicals and other procceses that elicit the feelings you describe. Just because science doesn't have a way to put down on paper emotions and feelings of humans (although it can quite easily reproduce them) doesn't mean they can't be explained.

Ok?

Nor had the vast majority of witches read phikal either I imagine, that didn't stop you from making grandiose claims about them.

No, not really in that way either.

I must apologize in advance, I must demolish typical form to make this work.

Observe, watch and learn as I merely have to use your post in different contexts. What your presenting in your post is nothing more than neurosis, cultural brain damage. You have lost the ability to comprehend in statistical truth and are stuck in your notions of concrete. You are supposed to live in a state of euphoria.
--



"Just because science doesn't have a way to put down on paper emotions and feelings of humans (although it can quite easily reproduce them) doesn't mean they can't be explained."

Which I respond with:

"You've not shown an ability to comprehend more though. And I'm not ignoring anything, I've taken in all your arguments and rejected them all because I don't see any evidence to support them or value in them."

Science has no way of explaining feeling. And yes, the evidence does in fact agree with me. Why? Go look up depression charts, suicide rates. They are on the rise. Sciences attempt to explain happiness and contentedness is a failure to the most extreme degree. If science can't even manage to explain the most simple and necessary feeling, how the hell can you think it could explain any of them?
--



"No, physical explanations also take into account your bodys reaction to the vibrations, which includes the release of chemicals and other procceses that elicit the feelings you describe."

But wait, whats this?

"No, there are very clearly different concepts of God and the supernatural. To claim they're all the same and you're the one who understand the truth the best is not any different from a Baptist claiming the same thing."

Your supposing all of our feelings, which yes spirituality is included in feeling, comes from chemicals in our brain? What? That would insinuate, one source, one truth...

But, "No, there are very clearly different concepts of God and the supernatural."

Please... you identify the one clear objective source of it all yourself.

But what of the different views?

"That language shapes a large part of how people think has been theorized since before the Sapir-Wharf hypothesis. While I agree that language shapes a large part of how people, especially in isolated cultures, think you then added in a whole bunch of unfounded nonsense."

Woah... is that perhaps, an objective reason of why people interpret synaptic and chemical functioning differently?

And woah... is that nonsense the reason why different viewpoints of spirituality exist.
Different spiritual viewpoints exist because words exist.

What I present is "the Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, etc." all in combination. The only difference is the words, there still all human beings just the same, it's still the same thing.

But hey, let me just pull your oh-so-loved evidence card on you. Present me some evidence that human beings are not all the same in terms of chemical and synaptic functioning. Because I do believe science is agreeing with me on that notion. Your stance is the product of IGNORING evidence. The reason I do not provide evidence is because I would expect someone who claims your level of 'maturity and understanding' to be up to date with simply fucking common sense of neural biology. I am sorry if I assume to much of you. Here it is quick and simple, it all comes from our physiological brain and words are a metaphor to the functions of that physiological structure.
--



"You can put your ideas forward and I'll look at each one, but don't act like a bitch when they get rejected for lack of evidence or any compelling argument."

Yes, bring your evidence, time to catch up!

You deserve my condescendence because you need to start connecting these dots yourself and stop looking in "years of studying pre-modern societys in cultural anthropology and various history books" which seemed to have caused nothing more than cultural brain damage in you. Your post is a pitiful attempt of artful mockery, you attempt to claim I have no evidence when really you evidence my suppositions in your very attempt to discredit me.

I am so correct, you accidentally agree with me without even knowing it. Hows that for running words around you?
--



"and the conclusion I pull away everytime is that some hippy kid"

Clearly. I got that many a threads ago with you, may I reiterate
Quote:
DELUSIONS, DRUGS, MORAL INCORRECTNESS!
"To claim they're all the same and you're the one who understand the truth the best is not any different from a Baptist claiming the same thing."

Atheism, Baptists, Agnosticm. I agree quite the same thing, people who forgot what the source really is. Do you need to go back to your school for some neuroscience 101?
--



Quote:
Nor had the vast majority of witches read phikal either I imagine, that didn't stop you from making grandiose claims about them.
don't be retarded, phikal didnt exist in their time


Quote:
No, not really in that way either.
it could if you saw it all, not just what you want to. I mean, notice how you missed the proof of my concepts in your very writing? You are an extreme product of cultural brain damage, you cannot comprehend out of culturally defined concrete to see what is really there. It's easy to fix though, just pay attention to everything

Your turn. Just don't conveniently forget things and forget to keep track of it all. I don't want to have to keep going back to old posts and copying and pasting things into new contexts for you. Thats not an argument, thats called tutoring. Start comprehending it all in all the contexts at once. Multithread your brain. Then maybe you could find the evidence of your goals in my writing. Or do you even have any goals? Did culture hand you those as well?
__________________
SOMEONE ELSE GAVE ME THIS AVATAR
Old 09-16-2007, 10:26 AM ry_goody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#143  

ry_goody
 
ry_goody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
Just put ry on your ignore list. He does nothing but spout confusing, wierd gibberish and conjecture.

This conversation has strayed far from the op...

Diffucult to comprehend?
BLASPHEMY!

What are you a Baptist?
I would of expected more of you FSM who seemed to do away with culture to a degree.

This thread is exactly on track, I am explaining to people how not to be idiots.

You do not deserve your name FSM. I feel I should namerape you to Jesus Christ.
__________________
SOMEONE ELSE GAVE ME THIS AVATAR
Old 09-16-2007, 10:29 AM ry_goody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#144  

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH
 
Escaped Gorilla Genitals's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
I must apologize in advance, I must demolish typical form to make this work.

Observe, watch and learn as I merely have to use your post in different contexts. What your presenting in your post is nothing more than neurosis, cultural brain damage. You have lost the ability to comprehend in statistical truth and are stuck in your notions of concrete. You are supposed to live in a state of euphoria.
--

Good job making yourself look like a moron with that, the only person who thinks you accomplished anything by moving my quotes around is you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
"Just because science doesn't have a way to put down on paper emotions and feelings of humans (although it can quite easily reproduce them) doesn't mean they can't be explained."

Which I respond with:

"You've not shown an ability to comprehend more though. And I'm not ignoring anything, I've taken in all your arguments and rejected them all because I don't see any evidence to support them or value in them."
Which doesn't make sense in that context, great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
Science has no way of explaining feeling. And yes, the evidence does in fact agree with me. Why? Go look up depression charts, suicide rates. They are on the rise. Sciences attempt to explain happiness and contentedness is a failure to the most extreme degree. If science can't even manage to explain the most simple and necessary feeling, how the hell can you think it could explain any of them?
--
Science does have a way of explaining feeling, the physical structure of nerves and the brain are constantly being studied. The bit about depression and suicide has jack shit to do with explaining the physical nature of feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
"No, physical explanations also take into account your bodys reaction to the vibrations, which includes the release of chemicals and other procceses that elicit the feelings you describe."

But wait, whats this?

"No, there are very clearly different concepts of God and the supernatural. To claim they're all the same and you're the one who understand the truth the best is not any different from a Baptist claiming the same thing."
Again, doesn't make any sense in that context. You actually think you're being clever don't you?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
Your supposing all of our feelings, which yes spirituality is included in feeling, comes from chemicals in our brain? What? That would insinuate, one source, one truth...
Not unless you where already looking for "one truth."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
But, "No, there are very clearly different concepts of God and the supernatural."

Please... you identify the one clear objective source of it all yourself.
I just explaiend that belief in the supernatural has many different sources? To assume it has just one is very clearly incompatible with reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
But what of the different views?

"That language shapes a large part of how people think has been theorized since before the Sapir-Wharf hypothesis. While I agree that language shapes a large part of how people, especially in isolated cultures, think you then added in a whole bunch of unfounded nonsense."

Woah... is that perhaps, an objective reason of why people interpret synaptic and chemical functioning differently?

And woah... is that nonsense the reason why different viewpoints of spirituality exist.
Different spiritual viewpoints exist because words exist.

What I present is "the Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, etc." all in combination. The only difference is the words, there still all human beings just the same, it's still the same thing.
No, it's not the same thing dumbass. I guess I can't explain to someone who refuses to accept any explanation except their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
But hey, let me just pull your oh-so-loved evidence card on you. Present me some evidence that human beings are not all the same in terms of chemical and synaptic functioning. Because I do believe science is agreeing with me on that notion. Your stance is the product of IGNORING evidence. The reason I do not provide evidence is because I would expect someone who claims your level of 'maturity and understanding' to be up to date with simply fucking common sense of neural biology. I am sorry if I assume to much of you.
That would require that my argument(s) was predicated on the idea that humans are different in the chemical and synaptic functioning.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
Here it is quick and simple, it all comes from our physiological brain and words are a metaphor to the functions of that physiological structure.
See this is the part you don't have any evidence for. Hope that's quick and simple enough for you.
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
"You can put your ideas forward and I'll look at each one, but don't act like a bitch when they get rejected for lack of evidence or any compelling argument."

Yes, bring your evidence, time to catch up!
Re-arranging my words and specious claims does not constitute evidence


Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
You deserve my condescendence because you need to start connecting these dots yourself and stop looking in "years of studying pre-modern societys in cultural anthropology and various history books" which seemed to have caused nothing more than cultural brain damage in you. Your post is a pitiful attempt of artful mockery, you attempt to claim I have no evidence when really you evidence my suppositions in your very attempt to discredit me.
Yeah, you sure showed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
I am so correct, you accidentally agree with me without even knowing it. Hows that for running words around you?
You're a moron.
--
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
"and the conclusion I pull away everytime is that some hippy kid"

Clearly. I got that many a threads ago with you, may I reiterate


"To claim they're all the same and you're the one who understand the truth the best is not any different from a Baptist claiming the same thing."

Atheism, Baptists, Agnosticm. I agree quite the same thing, people who forgot what the source really is. Do you need to go back to your school for some neuroscience 101?
--
Claiming that the source of belief in the supernatural is a function of the brain agrees with atheism? Oh wait I forgot, you also made up a bunch of shit about tapping into the supernatural using mushrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
don't be retarded, phikal didnt exist in their time
Don't make retarded claims then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
it could if you saw it all, not just what you want to. I mean, notice how you missed the proof of my concepts in your very writing? You are an extreme product of cultural brain damage, you cannot comprehend out of culturally defined concrete to see what is really there. It's easy to fix though, just pay attention to everything
But if I did that then I'd end up with the regular kind of brain damage, and I don't think this board can handle 2 ry_goodys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
Your turn. Just don't conveniently forget things and forget to keep track of it all. I don't want to have to keep going back to old posts and copying and pasting things into new contexts for you. Thats not an argument, thats called tutoring. Start comprehending it all in all the contexts at once. Multithread your brain. Then maybe you could find the evidence of your goals in my writing. Or do you even have any goals? Did culture hand you those as well?
No, I think I'll take FSM and Mathletes advice and just put you on ignore before I make myself look like an even bigger moron for arguing with you.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:35 PM Escaped Gorilla Genitals is offline  
Reply With Quote
#145  

ry_goody
 
ry_goody's Avatar
 
"I just explaiend that belief in the supernatural has many different sources? To assume it has just one is very clearly incompatible with reality."

It is the reality.

Supernatural does not physically exist, it is a hallucination, it comes from your brain.
All human brains posses the same structure and functionality once you dig down far enough.

Even Dawkins would be agreeing with me. You are honestly living in a delusion. You really think the Christian God exists, Allah exists, what the FSM? Merely different cultural interpretations of the same thing. A hallucinatory component deep in the psyche.

Present to me a more logical alternative to that. Otherwise consider this done because my last post was perfect and your doing nothing but thinking your ability to reject has some sort of evidence? Hah. No thats evidence of your inability to comprehend. Have you noticed, I haven't disagreed or rejected a single thing youve said I am just adding more to it. More. I do not need to reject things, everything supports what I think because it is more correct than what you think. Go join the Christians, Islamics and Catholics in there need to 'reject' and 'censor' to support there beliefs. Your just a different version of the same delusion.

I mean, you can't even elaborate on why I am a moron. Copout words all over the place. Copout copout copout, step up to the plate and ADD to it.
__________________
SOMEONE ELSE GAVE ME THIS AVATAR
Old 09-16-2007, 03:28 PM ry_goody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#146  

FSM
 
So anyways, I think this thread has proven it's own point. I wrote an OP about how it sucks that there's so many idiots in the world, and then half a dozen idiots came in and spewed nonsensical supernatural beliefs, thus proving my point.

Man I hate living in a world of idiots.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:51 PM FSM is offline  
Reply With Quote
#147  

PopeKevinI
 
Wow, it's been a long time since we had someone declare themselves the winner/end their own thread here. Congrats on being added to that rather...amusing list
__________________
THIS is your brain on drugs: "I'm not a positive thinker. I am a spiralling hexagonal vortex thinker that strobes multiple colors." -ry_goody
Old 09-17-2007, 04:55 PM PopeKevinI is offline  
Reply With Quote
#148  

mike27
crt expert
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
So anyways, I think this thread has proven it's own point. I wrote an OP about how it sucks that there's so many idiots in the world, and then half a dozen idiots came in and spewed nonsensical supernatural beliefs, thus proving my point.

Man I hate living in a world of idiots.

it's a good thing there are intellectuals like you to move us along

but really, I asked you this before, and you never answered: what have you contributed to society thus far? what are your most impressive achievements? a genius living amongst idiots should have quite an extensive list.
__________________
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
- Mark Twain
Old 09-17-2007, 06:28 PM mike27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#149  

FSM
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike27 View Post
it's a good thing there are intellectuals like you to move us along

but really, I asked you this before, and you never answered: what have you contributed to society thus far? what are your most impressive achievements? a genius living amongst idiots should have quite an extensive list.

Although one man can indeed make a difference, I don't think there's anything I can do to help kill supernaturalism any more than Sam Harris or Dawkins or Dennett or the like have. I just don't think anyone could kill all religion, no matter how smart he/she was.

So what am I supposed to do?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:13 PM FSM is offline  
Reply With Quote
#150  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.