General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
mofugger
I'm married to a gay man
 
mofugger's Avatar
 
__________________
Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division
Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 PM mofugger is offline  
Reply With Quote
#106  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

möbiustrip
 
möbiustrip's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofugger View Post
How is your parable relevant to our conversation? I'm not out to convert anyone or convince anyone to share what I believe in any way.
You don't see a difference between preaching religion and saying a story like Noah's ark is nuts ("preaching atheism")?

Check your first post I replied to; "people have an uncontrollable urge to attack your beliefs."
You're making an argument where there isn't one by taking the assertion of common sense as a personal insult.

If we're all going to get along, you need to let people blow off steam re: zombie Jesus. They're right. It is mind-blowing that in this day and age billions of people profess to the resurrection of a guy thanks to the culture that brought us Minerva springing from the head of Jupiter. It's not reasonable to ask people to shut up and pretend things like that aren't crazy.
__________________
I personally believe that there has to be a law that limits the power of the supreme court. -- R@$T@M@N
Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 PM möbiustrip is offline  
Reply With Quote
#107  

SnakeIRye
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt00926 View Post
Anyone can donate money to other organizations, politicians or other figures who hold different views if you want as well. It's not like Church's are the organizations who may try to push an agenda.

You may be shocked to hear this, but their agenda is, 'Do good(our way) or you're going to burn in hell forever.'

The church isn't half as respectable as most of the charitable organizations, because you do 'good' to cover your own ass. I can respect the charity, just not the whole selfishness of the situation. Just ask the catholic church how good they were when they cut funding to amnesty http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...102395,00.html
__________________
Remember kids: Don't do school, stay in milk and drink your drugs!
Darth Snake, Evil Jedi Motherfucker Overlord of the Executor
Old 10-16-2007, 09:41 PM SnakeIRye is offline  
Reply With Quote
#108  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeIRye View Post
You may be shocked to hear this, but their agenda is, 'Do good(our way) or you're going to burn in hell forever.'

The church isn't half as respectable as most of the charitable organizations, because you do 'good' to cover your own ass. I can respect the charity, just not the whole selfishness of the situation. Just ask the catholic church how good they were when they cut funding to amnesty http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...102395,00.html

Way to not post the reason. They do something against Church doctrine, then why should the Church provide them with money supporting something they don't agree with?

With that in mind, I assume you put in your tithe to the LDS Church this week, right?
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 10-16-2007, 10:08 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#109  

topgun
lilBearbotm4toppapa
 
topgun's Avatar
 
If God could cause a fucking flood then I think he has enough power to make animals survive without food and water. And plants? Who created the damn things in the first place. God could have just told them to grow back.

lol @ all the Christians who say: "I don't even believe in this part of the Bible." Go ahead and limit God's power to make yourself more compatible with the world's beliefs if that is what you want. It is not the truth. You might as well just forget about the rest of the Bible because if you can't trust some parts then you can't trust it at all.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 PM topgun is offline  
Reply With Quote
#110  

matt00926
baaaaaa
 
matt00926's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeIRye View Post
You may be shocked to hear this, but their agenda is, 'Do good(our way) or you're going to burn in hell forever.'

The church isn't half as respectable as most of the charitable organizations, because you do 'good' to cover your own ass. I can respect the charity, just not the whole selfishness of the situation. Just ask the catholic church how good they were when they cut funding to amnesty http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...102395,00.html

Are we talking about Church as in the Vatican or each individual or majority of churches?
__________________
cd09d75f80807fd8baa143b39fa895eb [pornmay.com]
Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 PM matt00926 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#111  

crumbaker
 
crumbaker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post

lol @ all the Christians who say: "I don't even believe in this part of the Bible." Go ahead and limit God's power to make yourself more compatible with the world's beliefs if that is what you want. It is not the truth. You might as well just forget about the rest of the Bible because if you can't trust some parts then you can't trust it at all.

nail head
Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 PM crumbaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#112  

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
nail head

He has a good point, though...
__________________
Moose's brother.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET
Old 10-16-2007, 11:42 PM Mr. Greg is offline  
Reply With Quote
#113  

SnakeIRye
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Way to not post the reason. They do something against Church doctrine, then why should the Church provide them with money supporting something they don't agree with?

With that in mind, I assume you put in your tithe to the LDS Church this week, right?

Please point to the bible verse about abortion... Now point to the verse(s) where women are held below men...

Of course the church doesn't have to provide money supporting something they don't agree with, it just happens they don't agree with helping africa when it doesn't support their corrupt agenda. There is nothing moral about halting support for an organization that is trying to help womens rights. There is nothing moral about telling people from africa that condoms don't work and that european condom factories put the aids virus directly into them.

It's not even about the bible, it's about control. More specifically, having a leg up on reproductive goals for the hive.
__________________
Remember kids: Don't do school, stay in milk and drink your drugs!
Darth Snake, Evil Jedi Motherfucker Overlord of the Executor
Old 10-17-2007, 02:08 AM SnakeIRye is offline  
Reply With Quote
#114  

SnakeIRye
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt00926 View Post
Are we talking about Church as in the Vatican or each individual or majority of churches?

Let's not nitpick here, that was one example of how fucked up the church is by way of "helping" The money that's donated to the churches of course fund their extra activities.
__________________
Remember kids: Don't do school, stay in milk and drink your drugs!
Darth Snake, Evil Jedi Motherfucker Overlord of the Executor
Old 10-17-2007, 02:11 AM SnakeIRye is offline  
Reply With Quote
#115  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWaterman View Post
hah say one more time? somebody seems a little defensive

ok


I'm really being defensive yeah? Ok, thanks for the reminder,

why don't you go feel guilty or something
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 10-17-2007, 04:54 AM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#116  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Way to not post the reason. They do something against Church doctrine, then why should the Church provide them with money supporting something they don't agree with?

With that in mind, I assume you put in your tithe to the LDS Church this week, right?
While I agree with the gist of your idea it doesn't always work the other way around does it? Some of that church funding always comes from sources that are lets say ...unchristian. Infact you could really troll with this one; I'm sure the vatican stock portfolio has many interesting things in it. You could downright say the vatican makes profit out of misery. Sounds to me like abortion is the appetizer in the menu with better things to come, really.

Either way, amnesty can fund its own fucking ass without bickering (and this comes from someone who has donated )
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 AM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#117  

PopeKevinI
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
If God could cause a fucking flood then I think he has enough power to make animals survive without food and water. And plants? Who created the damn things in the first place. God could have just told them to grow back.

And God could have just wiped out all of mankind without having to do all that. What was the point in the boat at all of God was going to engage in so much miracle work in the process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
lol @ all the Christians who say: "I don't even believe in this part of the Bible." Go ahead and limit God's power to make yourself more compatible with the world's beliefs if that is what you want. It is not the truth. You might as well just forget about the rest of the Bible because if you can't trust some parts then you can't trust it at all.

In the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary of one story in the Bible, we must question its basis in fact. If you think that necessitates throwing out the entire Bible, I pity you.

The fact is, we have no evidence of a world-wide flood in the history of mankind. There is no evidence all of human civilization being wiped out at once and rebuilt. If you take the genealogy of the Bible literally and believe that humanity began in 4004 BC, the flood happened in the middle of Egypt's Old Kingdom. There is absolutely nothing that corroborates the flood story outside of parallel stories in various mythologies.

This leaves us with a handful of possible conclusions:

1) The Ark story is based in ancient mythology and not a true story at all. This would mean that at some point this mythology was integrated into the Jewish scriptures. That, or we throw out the entire Bible because we discover that at some point men changed it.

2) The Ark story is completely true, and it's the historic record and archaeological data that is inaccurate. I take issue with this because it would almost certainly require an active effort by God to conceal the truth, and I refuse to believe that God deceives us. This is the same reason I doubt the creation story as a factual account.

3) There is some truth to the Ark story. A localized flood wiped out a civilization with one family surviving on a boat full of animals, something like that.

Knowing the history of the Bible, I refuse to toss out the whole thing just because a small portion of it appears to be more myth than fact. We can verify a lot of the Bible's accounts; the cities, battles, nations, and kings mentioned in it are frequently found referenced in other sources. If the facts directly contradict a part of it, we have to ask whether that part belongs with the rest.
__________________
THIS is your brain on drugs: "I'm not a positive thinker. I am a spiralling hexagonal vortex thinker that strobes multiple colors." -ry_goody
Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 AM PopeKevinI is offline  
Reply With Quote
#118  

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man
 
mofugger's Avatar
 
__________________
Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division
Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 AM mofugger is offline  
Reply With Quote
#119  

crumbaker
 
crumbaker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
He has a good point, though...

I was agreeing with him, as in he hit the nail on the motherf'n head

Last edited by crumbaker; 10-17-2007 at 03:32 PM..
Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 AM crumbaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#120  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.