General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
MazingHL
 
That looks like a perfectly even surface with no possible air pocket inside, doesn't crumble without warning... oh wait.

__________________
94 855
85 GLH

Turbos are in my cars
Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 AM MazingHL is offline  
Reply With Quote
#61  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337rider View Post
Let me introduce you to a friend of mine called Mohr's Circle. If you don't understand Mohr's circle and how compressive LOADS can create shear STRESSES, you are not qualified to tell me how much load you can safely apply to any material, let alone an anisotrophic object such as a cinderblock.
dude, its hardon. Knowledge is not his forte.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 AM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#62  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Right it never works... oh wait.


It does
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#63  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
dude, its hardon. Knowledge is not his forte.

Don't you have some other thread to whine and pretend to be sophisticated in?
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#64  

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.
 
asa's Avatar
 
just because something works doesn't mean it's safe
__________________
1967 Ford Mustang, Inline Six, will i ever get this T5 installed?
my build
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=786083

Asa of the Infidel Crew
Old 08-28-2012, 05:08 PM asa is offline  
Reply With Quote
#65  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337rider View Post
Let me introduce you to a friend of mine called Mohr's Circle. If you don't understand Mohr's circle and how compressive LOADS can create shear STRESSES, you are not qualified to tell me how much load you can safely apply to any material, let alone an anisotrophic object such as a cinderblock.

Right because we're talking about beams during bending....
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#66  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
just because something works doesn't mean it's safe

Hey life is made of calculated risks. I wouldn't do too much of that no, I'd buy large stands if i had a consistent need for them.

However blocks with some 2x12s over them work and I'd use it in a "pinch" so would you
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#67  

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.
 
asa's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
However blocks with some 2x12s over them work and I'd use it in a "pinch" so would you

negative ghost rider, pattern is full

i've done enough calculated risks when i was younger, when it comes to wrenching i take my time and eliminate all risks that i can, then i minimize the remaining ones.
saw too many mechanic friends get hurt from doing stupid shit
__________________
1967 Ford Mustang, Inline Six, will i ever get this T5 installed?
my build
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=786083

Asa of the Infidel Crew
Old 08-28-2012, 06:19 PM asa is offline  
Reply With Quote
#68  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
It happens with actual jack stands too as I'm sure you know.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#69  

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.
 
asa's Avatar
 
they fracture and collapse?

sure, but if you don't notice a broken weld on a jack stand you're an idiot.
and yes, i am completely serious in saying that i inspect my jackstands before i use them
__________________
1967 Ford Mustang, Inline Six, will i ever get this T5 installed?
my build
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=786083

Asa of the Infidel Crew
Old 08-28-2012, 06:39 PM asa is offline  
Reply With Quote
#70  

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH
 
gee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Right because we're talking about beams during bending....
Applying force to *any* elastic material subjects it to tensile stress by causing it to expand sideways - and concrete, believe it or not, is elastic. When they pour a structural concrete column, there's a ring of rebar around the outside specifically to carry this force.

Anyway, your argument pretty much amounts to "I played russian roulette, I didn't shoot myself in the head therefore it's safe..."
Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 AM gee is offline  
Reply With Quote
#71  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
Applying force to *any* elastic material subjects it to tensile stress by causing it to expand sideways - and concrete, believe it or not, is elastic. When they pour a structural concrete column, there's a ring of rebar around the outside specifically to carry this force.

Anyway, your argument pretty much amounts to "I played russian roulette, I didn't shoot myself in the head therefore it's safe..."

My argument amounts to a link with concrete block compressive strength numbers which you guys chose to ignore claiming those numbers are only attainable with rebar and concrete filling... or some shit like that

For the record go read my replies. Before you invent another opinion for me. I never used blocks, and my advice was to use wood.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 08-29-2012, 03:22 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#72  

Bill Brasky
He killed Wolfman Jack with a trident
 
Bill Brasky's Avatar
 
You guys are all pussies, imo.
__________________
Nikon DSLR Club: D70

I'm a Son of a Bitch and you fucking love me for it.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:24 PM Bill Brasky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#73  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
^ this
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 08-29-2012, 11:05 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#74  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.