General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

princess0fdiabl0

in working to make my zx-6 not look like shit ive removed the fairings for repair/painting. I found out that one of the previous owners had jury rigged the headlight on and it basically fell apart when i removed the fairings. There are four brackets through which bolts run into the fairing to hold the light in place. 3 of the brackets have broken off. The one that didnt break off - the part that the bolt screws into on the fairing is broken off. Also on that side (left) the broken off bracket is incomplete, i only have part of the plastic so i cant make it remotely structurally sound with just say.... epoxy. The other two brackets are broken off but still fully intact and have been epoxied back with decent rigidity. They did break off but only because i was trying to do wierd things with plastic tie wraps while the fairings are off and so the stress was quite a bit more than would be sustained bolted to the fairing as it should be.

What should i do? ebay light replacement is 70 dollars shipped, brand new ones are 200 bucks. Should i attempt to rebuild the brackets somehow? i now have some experience with fiberglass cloth/epoxy/resin but i dont know if that would be enough.

Here is a pic of one.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

DepecheMode

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
Hrm, I don't like the idea of poking anything metal in the holes. Just spray some B12 Chemtool and it'll blow out any gas deposits or dirt. It's the shit, just make sure to use nitrile chemical gloves (thin disposable gloves like latex, find 'em at kragen) to keep yourself cancer-free.

Fine, use guitar string then. That's soft.

c636f0d2d45c7827681c3ed40e049f60

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Ok, I have a little problem.

I got a screw in the R6's front tire. (20 miles ). Anyways, I borrowed a home-made front stand from a co-worker and it seemed to work find when I used it to take the wheel off. However, when trying to put the wheel back on I found out it was a bit uneven and I couldn't get the axle through the forks properly. If I forced it in, the rotors would not line up when trying to put on the calipers.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to do from here? I'm planning on going to buy a front stand, but how the fuck would I swap the two out without a wheel? Jacks?
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Find some straps and strap it around the stem to something above it

Or I would use 2 jacks unless there are some sort of bars above it to simply strap. But youre screwed if the jacks dont work

I would personally just have a big guy hold the bike up for 5 second while you slide a stand under it...

Last edited by HunteR; 08-09-2006 at 04:10 PM..

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows
Ok, I have a little problem.

I got a screw in the R6's front tire. (20 miles ). Anyways, I borrowed a home-made front stand from a co-worker and it seemed to work find when I used it to take the wheel off. However, when trying to put the wheel back on I found out it was a bit uneven and I couldn't get the axle through the forks properly. If I forced it in, the rotors would not line up when trying to put on the calipers.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to do from here? I'm planning on going to buy a front stand, but how the fuck would I swap the two out without a wheel? Jacks?

What do you mean by "the two"? I thought you're only dealing with the front wheel. Do you want to swap calipers?

Now I'm not familiar at all with the R6 wheel setup, but first carefully check the wheel itself. Are any caps in place, and not sitting at an angle? Are the rotors straight (make sure the shop that changed the tire didn't F them up)? Sometimes these things will shift and not rest evenly when you try to put the wheel back.

Try to be more specific on how it doesn't line up. Does it go through one side of the forks/wheel OK, but get stuck on the other? What is off-center, and in what direction? This will help isolate the problem. Also, use Mobil 1 synthetic grease on the axle bolt to lube it up.

As for the calipers, make sure that the pads are seated properly. The No. 1 reason I had trouble with alignment is pads that popped out of their normal places. You can pry them apart using a screwdriver. Finally, do you REALLY need to remove the calipers? Maybe you can slide the wheel in place and use the calipers as a guide. It's trickier, but can save time.

Of course, I don't know how this home-made stand works; it might be causing the problem. Get yourself a stump and put it under the bike, or hoist it, or roll it up a ramp and drop the front wheel over, etc.

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunteR
Find some straps and strap it around the stem to something above it

Or I would use 2 jacks unless there are some sort of bars above it to simply strap. But youre screwed if the jacks dont work

I would personally just have a big guy hold the bike up for 5 second while you slide a stand under it...

In OWK's case, he should just hold the bike up with one arm and install the wheel with the other.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
What do you mean by "the two"? I thought you're only dealing with the front wheel. Do you want to swap calipers?

Now I'm not familiar at all with the R6 wheel setup, but first carefully check the wheel itself. Are any caps in place, and not sitting at an angle? Are the rotors straight (make sure the shop that changed the tire didn't F them up)? Sometimes these things will shift and not rest evenly when you try to put the wheel back.

Try to be more specific on how it doesn't line up. Does it go through one side of the forks/wheel OK, but get stuck on the other? What is off-center, and in what direction? This will help isolate the problem. Also, use Mobil 1 synthetic grease on the axle bolt to lube it up.

As for the calipers, make sure that the pads are seated properly. The No. 1 reason I had trouble with alignment is pads that popped out of their normal places. You can pry them apart using a screwdriver. Finally, do you REALLY need to remove the calipers? Maybe you can slide the wheel in place and use the calipers as a guide. It's trickier, but can save time.

Of course, I don't know how this home-made stand works; it might be causing the problem. Get yourself a stump and put it under the bike, or hoist it, or roll it up a ramp and drop the front wheel over, etc.

I can insert the axle through either end of the fork just fine. I can also insert the axle through the wheel just fine. The axle will go through the fork into the wheel, but the other side doesn't line up because the stand seems to be pushing the fork a little bit higher on that side.

Also, I can remove one caliper and slide the wheel in, but I can't do it with both calipers or would prefer not to

Everything else is straight. The wheel, the axle, the rotors, the calipers and pads... nothing out of whack, it's just that the stand pushes one fork up a little higher than the other.
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

electric!sheep

electric!sheep

OHHHHHH I get it now. How do I swap the two stands out without a front wheel?

Sorry, my brain wasn't quite functioning after work.

EDIT

How about this: Put the front wheel on without the calipers, swap the stands, put on the calipers, and be done with it.

Last edited by electric!sheep; 08-09-2006 at 04:36 PM..

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:

Yes. That, or how do I get it to work in my current situation

Unfortunately I don't have any lowering straps. Maybe I'll just lift it up and have somebody put on the wheel.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:

How about this: Put the front wheel on without the calipers, swap the stands, put on the calipers, and be done with it.
The problem is I can't get the axle all the way through. If I align the wheel, the axle will go through the first fork and then through the wheel and then not be able to go through the other fork.

I actually muscled the axle in but the wheel looked out of alignment... it was about 1mm away from the left fork while 1/2" away from the right fork. I just need the forks lined up

electric!sheep

Quote:

Yes. That, or how do I get it to work in my current situation

Unfortunately I don't have any lowering straps. Maybe I'll just lift it up and have somebody put on the wheel.

Um, isn't that what a GF is for?

electric!sheep

Quote:
The problem is I can't get the axle all the way through. If I align the wheel, the axle will go through the first fork and then through the wheel and then not be able to go through the other fork.

I actually muscled the axle in but the wheel looked out of alignment... it was about 1mm away from the left fork while 1/2" away from the right fork. I just need the forks lined up

Can you tilt or shim the stand in any way to make it work? Your best bet is probably to put something under the bike to hold it up and then switch the stands. Good to have a nice stand no matter what.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Um, isn't that what a GF is for?
The bike is at work
Quote:
Can you tilt or shim the stand in any way to make it work?
I've tried. The problem is that it's a stand that some AMA guy was making and selling, but it flexes a lot.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Ok.

Nevermind.

I got the fucker on.

I had the wheel on backwards