General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

I think he's just drunk and stumbled upon some blog from the theregister.co.uk comment section (written by some schizophrenic polar opposite of him)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooninites View Post
Source? (curious)

Some eco group in NY was on Fox. River Wardens/ Watchers or something the guy called the group.

mech

global warming was a reality what, like 10 years ago.

it isn't even a big deal. planet is getting warmer, so? you guys act like there isn't already 5 things being done about it and 10 things ready to solve the problem.

ok so maybe we're all fucked my bad :|

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard

So what's the climate change denier spin on the findings of the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project? You know, that independent study funded by the skeptics? The one Anthony Watts was so confident in that he said he'd "accept whatever results they produce, even if it proves my premise wrong"?

Because, surprise, surprise, their findings support what the IPCC was saying all along.

OH RLY?

TheMorlock: "Any atmosphere will trap heat. the CO2 in Venus's atmosphere is a RESULT of the high temps"

Ahahahahaha

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

I'm sooooooo confused. Maybe some of you weekend climatologists can help me out here...

Do I go with this article which tells me climate "change" (lol..you mean the climate hasn't been the same for 3+ billion years?) will cause fewer hurricanes and cyclones...
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/sh...ef=online-news

Or this one from a few years back..(when Katrina was still in the news quite a bit) that tells me otherwise?

Also, don't we only have about 8 more years before the Arctic cap is totally ice free? Or is there a new article extending the date out a little further.....kinda like end of the world predictions.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Redemption

WHAT ABOUT MELTING GLACIERS AND POLAR CAPS W/E COOLING THE OCEANS AND SLOWING/STOPPING THE GULF STREAMS YOU GUYSSSS

wall candy eating retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
I'm sooooooo confused. Maybe some of you weekend climatologists can help me out here...

Do I go with this article which tells me climate "change" (lol..you mean the climate hasn't been the same for 3+ billion years?) will cause fewer hurricanes and cyclones...

Or this one from a few years back..(when Katrina was still in the news quite a bit) that tells me otherwise?

Also, don't we only have about 8 more years before the Arctic cap is totally ice free? Or is there a new article extending the date out a little further.....kinda like end of the world predictions.

We've been over this about 10 times in the thread, joe. There's plenty of uncertainty about what climate change is going to do to the planet and every climatologist on the planet would attest to that.

That uncertainty does not magically transfer over to the questions 1) is the planet warming?; 2) is some of that warming due to anthropogenic CO2 emissions.

OH RLY?

TheMorlock: "Any atmosphere will trap heat. the CO2 in Venus's atmosphere is a RESULT of the high temps"

Ahahahahaha

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post
We've been over this about 10 times in the thread, joe. There's plenty of uncertainty about what climate change is going to do to the planet and every climatologist on the planet would attest to that.

That uncertainty does not magically transfer over to the questions 1) is the planet warming?; 2) is some of that warming due to anthropogenic CO2 emissions.
Uncertainty? Say it ain't so. Many press releases try to use the word "consensus" at least once, and especially when addressing those questioning their findings...in other words the AGW fanatics are trying really hard to drill that word into the conciousness of the general public even if they don't understand anything else. In other words, "we are smarter than you are, and we all agree on that"

The climate is changing to a small degree, and I think we can all "agree" that it has always been in some state of change since the world was formed by whatever random events, methods or diety you prefer. Using a time period of record keeping of barely over 100 years (with wildly different methods/level of technology over that period of time) for a planet that could be over 3 billion years old....and then saying that this tiny little fraction of time is enough to draw firm conclusions about how the climate should be and will be in the future is ludicrous at best. We happen to live in a period of time that has a climate conducive to humans flourishing and dominating the planet....has it always been this way and will this mild period in earths history last forever?

Only an idiot would deny that human activities are having a negative effect on the world we live in, and I think even diehard deniers know that we can't keep escalating the damage indefinitely with 7+ billion humans on the planet. On the other hand, we have to keep in mind (at least those of us who are sane) that humans ARE a natural part of this world....and unless there are mining programs in other galaxies that I don't know about, every single "unnatural" thing humans produce was originally given to us by this planet we seem to be stuck on. If mother nature didn't want us to play with her toys then she shouldn't have left the box unlocked....and if she decides to get rid of us someday, then all she has to do is get all of the tectonic plates and volcanos going at the same time. It would be a heck of a lot more quick and effcient than anything we could do ourselves unintentionally..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Last edited by joemama; 04-08-2011 at 11:42 PM..

teh scud

Quote:
Only an idiot would deny that human activities are having a negative effect on the world we live in, and I think even diehard deniers know that we can't keep escalating the damage indefinitely with 7+ billion humans on the planet. On the other hand, we have to keep in mind (at least those of us who are sane) that humans ARE a natural part of this world....and unless there are mining programs in other galaxies that I don't know about, every single "unnatural" thing humans produce was originally given to us by this planet we seem to be stuck on. If mother nature didn't want us to play with her toys then she shouldn't have left the box unlocked....and if she decides to get rid of us someday, then all she has to do is get all of the tectonic plates and volcanos going at the same time. It would be a heck of a lot more quick and effcient than anything we could do ourselves unintentionally..
"Only an idiot would deny that eating nothing but fast food has a negative impact on one's health -- but if we weren't supposed to eat fast food, it wouldn't be on the menu!"

Gibonius

Come on joe, you can do a lot better than this.

Quote:
Uncertainty? Say it ain't so. Many press releases try to use the word "consensus" at least once, and especially when addressing those questioning their findings...in other words the AGW fanatics are trying really hard to drill that word into the conciousness of the general public even if they don't understand anything else. In other words, "we are smarter than you are, and we all agree on that"
Sounds like this is about ego, and not wanting the experts to tell you what to believe. Why wouldn't their opinion carry dramatically more weight than that of the public?

They don't feel the need to explain about uncertainty because A) the public dialog is still questioning the firmly established principles B) uncertainty is part of science. The deniers aren't going to listen to explanations about uncertainty anyway, they're just going to hear "all the details aren't 100% pinned down ergo the whole theory is wrong LALALALALALAL."
Quote:
The climate is changing to a small degree, and I think we can all "agree" that it has always been in some state of change since the world was formed by whatever random events, methods or diety you prefer. Using a time period of record keeping of barely over 100 years (with wildly different methods/level of technology over that period of time) for a planet that could be over 3 billion years old....and then saying that this tiny little fraction of time is enough to draw firm conclusions about how the climate should be and will be in the future is ludicrous at best. We happen to live in a period of time that has a climate conducive to humans flourishing and dominating the planet....has it always been this way and will this mild period in earths history last forever?
Nothing about AGW says what the climate "should be", there is no value judgement involved. It stated the consequences of our actions in terms of warming the planet, and the potential effects of that warming. Nobody thinks the accelerated warming caused by humans could possibly have positive effects for us, so that's bad. We're altering the climate in a way that is bad for us, so we should stop.

As far as the time involved, the physical principles don't change. We have a pretty reasonable understanding of the processes involved, and can even compare our theories to what's happening on other planets and moons. Go read the recent report funded by the skeptics, it addresses all these issues AGAIN and comes to that same old (arrogant apparently) conclusion.
planet.
Quote:
On the other hand, we have to keep in mind (at least those of us who are sane) that humans ARE a natural part of this world....and unless there are mining programs in other galaxies that I don't know about, every single "unnatural" thing humans produce was originally given to us by this planet we seem to be stuck on. If mother nature didn't want us to play with her toys then she shouldn't have left the box unlocked....and if she decides to get rid of us someday, then all she has to do is get all of the tectonic plates and volcanos going at the same time. It would be a heck of a lot more quick and effcient than anything we could do ourselves unintentionally..
Seriously what kind of logic is this? "Mother nature" doesn't "want" anything, the planet is an inanimate object that could not care less if every living creature on its surface died and never came back. This sounds like one of those "nothing we do matters because God has a plan for us" arguments.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Come on joe, you can do a lot better than this.

Sounds like this is about ego, and not wanting the experts to tell you what to believe. Why wouldn't their opinion carry dramatically more weight than that of the public?

Hahhhahhahahah

gjkiller

global warming is a lie

global warming they say the ice caps are melting over about 5 feet every year but well it's realy melting only around a cm every year and the fact they are payed to only make a report that sound real they don't even do any research at all(sorry global warming believers i killed your dream XD)

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkiller View Post
global warming they say the ice caps are melting over about 5 feet every year but well it's realy melting only around a cm every year and the fact they are payed to only make a report that sound real they don't even do any research at all(sorry global warming believers i killed your dream XD)

One post and you've already established that you're a dumbass. Record speed!

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
One post and you've already established that you're a dumbass. Record speed!

He hasn't proven himself to be a hard hitter though, but if he manages to be consistent he can become a big hitter like his peers

wall candy eating retard

I realize you're trolling, but I'm still going to address your 'concerns' with the faint hope that a few of your brains cells will get it.

Quote:

There is a consensus on the following: a) the planet is warming b) some of that warming is due to human activity. There is no consensus about what that warming might do (though scientists agree about certain general consequences like species range shifts and rising sea levels).

So, for the 11th time now, don't confuse the lack of consensus about the consequences of warming with the firmly established consensus about the reality/cause of warming.

Quote:
First, the rate of change is quite important. And the evidence tells us the rate of change is much faster now than it has been for a long time (and possibly ever - with the Holocene warming as a potential exception).

Second, there's ample evidence that these 'wildly different' methods either provide the same results or can be easily calibrated to our current methods.

Third, our models are much better than you think they are (and take into account more than just the past 150 [yes, 150, not 100] years).

Fourth, why are you content to notice that our 'mild period' is ending and just throw up your hands, resigning to the fact that the climate has changed in the past? If there was something you could do to keep our climate the way it is, wouldn't you do it?

Quote:
Only an idiot would deny that human activities are having a negative effect on the world we live in, and I think even diehard deniers know that we can't keep escalating the damage indefinitely with 7+ billion humans on the planet.
Except there's a number of idiots in this thread who are at least pretending that humans are not having an effect on climate (flip flopping between the claims 'the climate isn't warming' [see original post and every 3rd post by TheMorlock] and 'warming isn't our fault'). You're not innocent in this either; you're trying to undermine the conclusions of Working Group 1 and 2 based on the uncertainty of the conclusions of Working Group 3.

And you're still dancing around the issue now by saying 'human activities are having a negative effect' while not saying anything specific about climate and CO2. EVERYONE knows that pollution is bad for our rivers, etc., so we're not going to cut you any slack for admitting that while still denying that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, etc.

If you come out and directly admit (in light of the significant evidence out there [a fraction of which has been presented in this thread by myself and others]) that humans are (don't use the word 'can') affecting climate through emissions of CO2, we can call it a day.

Quote:
On the other hand, we have to keep in mind (at least those of us who are sane) that humans ARE a natural part of this world....and unless there are mining programs in other galaxies that I don't know about, every single "unnatural" thing humans produce was originally given to us by this planet we seem to be stuck on. If mother nature didn't want us to play with her toys then she shouldn't have left the box unlocked....and if she decides to get rid of us someday, then all she has to do is get all of the tectonic plates and volcanos going at the same time. It would be a heck of a lot more quick and effcient than anything we could do ourselves unintentionally..
Whether mining is 'natural' or not has nothing to do with whether human activity is leading to warming. I really don't care if you think it's 'ok' that we're causing warming, just don't insult my intelligence by saying "there isn't any" or "it's not our fault".

OH RLY?

Ahahahahaha