General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Smog tips: get the car as hot as you can by driving it at high RPM. As in lots of ticking when you turn it off, make sure everything under the hood is hot as it gets.

fresh oil change (when it's burning dirty oil you will get higher HC readings than clean oil)

Octane-wise get whatever your car is made for, that's the best bet.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

illig

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Yes absolutely. If you keep paying the michigan registration and keep it registered there (like someone mails you the tags when they come) you can keep driving it here indefinitely.

It doesn't matter where his car is registered. He could be visiting for the weekend. An accident is going to be handled the same way, as are traffic infractions.

you can't have a car registered and insured in one state and be the legal resident (as evidenced by switching his license) of another state... it just doesn't work that way

OP: if you just get caught by cops, you'll have to deal with the DMV - and paying back of various back due registration fees, etc.

if you get in an accident, your insurance will simply drop you for fraud (trust me, they'll investigate why your accident happened thousands of miles from your supposed home) - and then you'll not only be fully responsible for any damages, but also be in legal trouble for being uninsured

you can try to get around this by keeping your michigan license - but then the state governments will go after you for state income tax inconsistencies, etc. etc.

i'm not saying that it's not done - as evidenced by all the Florida license plates in around me in Brooklyn , i'm just saying that the financial benefit of keeping an old beater on the road is far outweighed by the financial and legal ass raping that you'll receive if caught

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by illig View Post
you can't have a car registered and insured in one state and be the legal resident

i'm not saying that it's not done - as evidenced by all the Florida license plates in around me in Brooklyn , i'm just saying that the financial benefit of keeping an old beater on the road is far outweighed by the financial and legal ass raping that you'll receive if caught

So what ARE you saying? We have zillions of out of state marines, some of which get CA driver licenses and legally reside in near by apartments. We have lots of cars from out of state for other reasons (seems like 1/4 of all the plates i see) My friend's astro van has been in CA for four years and is still registered in IL.

There won't be any raping. The hard part is getting your tags to a CA address from another state - which is easy if you have parents or friends.

[H]ard|On

Also if you take your state's license in, all you need to do is take the paper test to receive a CA driver's license.

My friend just told me who's from IL, that's what he did. No driving test necessary. Then just go get your M1/M2 or whataver you want.

illig

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
So what ARE you saying? We have zillions of out of state marines, some of which get CA driver licenses and legally reside in near by apartments. We have lots of cars from out of state for other reasons (seems like 1/4 of all the plates i see) My friend's astro van has been in CA for four years and is still registered in IL.

There won't be any raping. The hard part is getting your tags to a CA address from another state - which is easy if you have parents or friends.

just b/c those marines legally reside in CA apartments and have CA license plates doesn't mean their out of state cars magically become legal as well, does it now? same thing with your friend

i clearly said that doing so won't be a problem - until he gets in a crash, or a significant enough altercation with the police (an example being DUI, etc.) that both the law and his insurance company become interested in the fact that his legal place of residence and his license don't match with his car registration

i've seen the issues this causes - NY specifically has cracked down recently on people using out of state tags to avoid paying car related taxes/fees - which they discover through multiple moving violations and parking tickets

same thing with insurance companies - do you really think your insurer will gladly cover you in an accident if you've been defrauding them? they'll tell you to GTFO and likely have you charged with fraud as well - again this has happened in my area on multiple occasions as well

[H]ard|On

Okay fine so he has at least until one ticket to claim he "just brought the car in" - it's not against the law to drive in another state.

Like i said no rape, nobody really cares about it in CA. NY, maybe - don't know anything about NY.

ShoelessOne

Hi all!

It's me again! In case you didn't notice, I now have the scooter. I also now have my CA drivers license (well, I will once it comes in the mail). I also took my CA motorcycle written test.

Now, I've still got the same problem with my car. I've decided I'm going to sell the car.

Now, for some followup questions:

1) Can I sell my unlicensed/non-CA registered car in CA?

2) My registration is up at the end of April, should I re-register the car in MI? I'm guessing there is some penalty if I let the registration on the car lapse?

3) Any tips/advice? The car is pretty beaten up, but I just put 2 grand into it last year and it could very well last another 5 years. Or a week. At this point I just really want to get rid of it. Where do people sell cars these days, Craigslist? Autotrader?

Thanks again for all of the help/advice!!

****I AM ACTUALLY shoelessone****
b87f7c8231bcef050989f5aa358fc6c0

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

Pretty sure you can sell an out of state car in CA no problem. You can certainly get away with it, just make sure to do a bill of sale saying it's as is/where is.

I don't think CA cares if a car purchased from out of state has old tags, but don't know for sure.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
just b/c those marines legally reside in CA apartments and have CA license plates doesn't mean their out of state cars magically become legal as well, does it now? same thing with your friend

yes it does
i lived and worked in Maryland for 4 years, my home of record was Tallahassee, Florida

got pulled over in Md plated cars, got pulled over in Fl plated cars
it's no big deal

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Walk.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
you can't have a car registered and insured in one state and be the legal resident (as evidenced by switching his license) of another state... it just doesn't work that way

OP: if you just get caught by cops, you'll have to deal with the DMV - and paying back of various back due registration fees, etc.

if you get in an accident, your insurance will simply drop you for fraud (trust me, they'll investigate why your accident happened thousands of miles from your supposed home) - and then you'll not only be fully responsible for any damages, but also be in legal trouble for being uninsured

you can try to get around this by keeping your michigan license - but then the state governments will go after you for state income tax inconsistencies, etc. etc.

Fuckin'-a, I think they just ran your new state flag up today:

And I thought we Texassans were a bunch of fascist totalitarians!!

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
yes it does
i lived and worked in Maryland for 4 years, my home of record was Tallahassee, Florida

got pulled over in Md plated cars, got pulled over in Fl plated cars
it's no big deal
I know CA has special laws for military

d114

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoelessOne View Post
Hi all!

It's me again! In case you didn't notice, I now have the scooter. I also now have my CA drivers license (well, I will once it comes in the mail). I also took my CA motorcycle written test.

Now, I've still got the same problem with my car. I've decided I'm going to sell the car.

Now, for some followup questions:

1) Can I sell my unlicensed/non-CA registered car in CA?

2) My registration is up at the end of April, should I re-register the car in MI? I'm guessing there is some penalty if I let the registration on the car lapse?

3) Any tips/advice? The car is pretty beaten up, but I just put 2 grand into it last year and it could very well last another 5 years. Or a week. At this point I just really want to get rid of it. Where do people sell cars these days, Craigslist? Autotrader?

Thanks again for all of the help/advice!!

1. yes. a bit harder to sell. have title in hand.
2. I think that's your best bet - have it registered at a family or relative's house in MI, along with your MI license.

3. If it's that contour, id be keen on getting rid of it unless the CEL is for a temperature sensor or something trivial.

run the codes and post them here. you can get them pulled for free plus a reset at vatozone. Just takes 10 minutes of your time. keep in mind that even if the car is perfectly running, it will be hard to pass CA smog. You can probably fool the machines by running the tank nearly empty and throwing a bunch of heet de-icer in there. Im sure you have plenty of that left over from mi.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with taking it in for a test to see what kind of numbers you get. its about 50 bucks and it will tell you if it's worth keeping or not. if it fails, keep the mi plates and you can keep driving it. post the numbers here and we can tell you whats wrong.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush View Post
I know CA has special laws for military

pretty much all the states do
and i'm pretty sure it's federal law that they give special dispensation
hell, i had my plate 6 months out of date when i was in Md, cop saw i was military, basically just told me "take care of it" didn't write me a warning, a fix it ticket, nothing

Asa of the Infidel Crew