General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

RedEyes
Boner Provider

question for people familiar with KIAs v diagnose please? also tips for 80k mi club?

So the better half drives a kia and it has just over 80k miles on it now, which we heard is about when they start to drop out. She got it with 6 k miles on it and apparently in her home state they require inspections yearly I think to recertify or register them or something.

Her check engine light came on recently, and I was going to see if I could a code reader somewhere, but we waited a few days and had the family mechanic check it when she had it inspected. Surprise, we found out she had no breaks left, and it was down to metal on metal. Neither of us are mechanically inclined and I never really drive her car. I was a bit concerned to hear about this, but it’s taken care of now.

Apparently her check engine light has come on before and it was something benign like the gas cap being loose, which took a little driving after fixing it to get it to clear. Fiddling with the cap didn’t fix it this time, and apparently her dash indicators went out briefly, she mentioned she couldn’t see an indicator as to what gear she was in. Sounds like that was transient though. Temperature has been ok, and oil is fine.

She called me up and said the inspections mechanic told her it was “Evap emissions system leak – large,” so I googled it and the closest error code message I found was “PO455 – Evap emissions control system leak (large)” which, when I called her back, she said sounded like what the mechanic said it was. ( Talking to women about car problems sometimes feels like talking to pets. – Although I know I’m not that much better.)

Some of the google (http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search)
results returned the same body of text (http://pollutionwebsite.com/emission...a+Sportage.txt http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=407179536075 ), and I can’t tell of the text is meant to be three error codes and their descriptions, or if the middle paragraph is meant to be a continuation or alternative answer to the first, PO455.

So my question for people with KIA / Automotive experience or stronger google-fu is; what is the likely differential diagnosis here? Something serious? Something we can ignore? Will this be fixed by a new/cleaner/diddled gas cap? And also, while we’re on the topic, for people who are familiar with KIAs, what kind of preventative maintenance should we be thinking about at 80k miles? What further problems should we be looking out for?

Cliffs:

1. Probably error code PO455. What’s the most likely culprit?
2. What else should we be looking for as problems around 80k miles? What should we be doing preventatively in this range?

We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

wwilliam54

Timing belt and crank position sensor stat (if its a 4 banger, older than 2008 IIRC)

RedEyes
Boner Provider

Crank positions sensor "stat" ? or do you mean get both of them stat?

herp :s sorry.

It *is* a 2005 four banger

I hear you for sure on the timing belt. That was the one thing my brother said to watch out for. Aside from that he said he didn't know anything good or bad about them; he's familiar with American cars and a few select others.

edit: she just got back from the mechanic and he mentioned the timing belt too. although she's at 84 k and he just did a kia's timing belt with 84 and he said that one was fine. the factor I'm wondering about here is that we don't know the history of the car he referenced, and her's had been in climate extremes within the US. It has seen some heinous winters in the mountains, but was also seaside on the east coast for a bit, and those might play a role in decaying the belt right? He said if he check it out though, he might as well replace it, even though it may not need it. For now we're thinking we might wait and see, until we both get jobs.

We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.

Last edited by RedEyes; 05-12-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Stereodude

Check the EVAP system for a large leak.

This is not intended to be a sarcastic reply. There's something loose or damaged in the system.

gribly

All fluids - tranny, brake, coolant, ect. if you have not changed any of them recently. Not too urgent, but get it done soon. Tranny and coolant are most important here.

Sounds like your canister vent is gone or something, not that serious, not too expensive to fix, but I wouldn't do it if you were not mechanically inclined.

Most urgent is your timing belt - you have an interference engine, and Kia recommends a 40-60k change interval depending on model from what I just googled. If that breaks, your valves are fucked and the rest of the motor is probably not worth rebuilding - so that would mean a whole new engine.

Pro Tip - when asking about a car, at least give us the model and engine size, make alone isn't enough to determine what engine it is and how to care for it. That information is more useful to someone who can give you advice than over half of what you wrote.

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyes View Post
Crank positions sensor "stat" ? or do you mean get both of them stat?

herp :s sorry.

It *is* a 2005 four banger

I hear you for sure on the timing belt. That was the one thing my brother said to watch out for. Aside from that he said he didn't know anything good or bad about them; he's familiar with American cars and a few select others.

edit: she just got back from the mechanic and he mentioned the timing belt too. although she's at 84 k and he just did a kia's timing belt with 84 and he said that one was fine. the factor I'm wondering about here is that we don't know the history of the car he referenced, and her's had been in climate extremes within the US. It has seen some heinous winters in the mountains, but was also seaside on the east coast for a bit, and those might play a role in decaying the belt right? He said if he check it out though, he might as well replace it, even though it may not need it. For now we're thinking we might wait and see, until we both get jobs.

Im just going on past experience with my 2005, they don't come with the best timing belt to begin with. And when the timing belt starts to get old teeth shear off and fuck up the crank position sensor.

2 tows and a week of heartache that could have been avoided if I had not waited till 75k to do the belt.
thats said, if you can do it yourself, its not that bad. The only thing close to a PITA was getting my wife to hold the cam gears in time, and the CKP sensor wiring is about 2mm from the belt, so its particular about how it is places.

Aldaris

How to make an excellent thread in AutoMay:
Make a very long post describing a problem with the car, but make sure that you don't disclose the actual model or year of the car.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Manufacturers are starting to use "evap system leak large" for a loose gas cap. It should clear as long as you make sure the cap is completely closed. Don't think I've ever heard of anyone needing a new cap for the gas tank though.
If you aren't in california, you can just go to Autozone and they will clear the codes for free.

Asa of the Infidel Crew

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

So basically your wife/gf/whatever is one of those people who's idea of "regular maintenance" is fixing whatever is needed to pass the yearly inspection....am I right? If so you might want to think about selling the thing and getting something else on the cheap that has been fairly well maintained. 80k+ on a car like that is nearing the end of it's useful lifespan unless you are prepared to spend some money on it.....just keep in mind that adding new drivetrain components to those that are nearly worn out usually isn't a good idea.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/········\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v