General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

need quick battery halp

jeep took a turd yet again, hold absolutely no charge, can only imagine it's the battery. gunna bring the battery to get tested and hopefully find something cheap.

question is, is there any sort of requirements for a battery on a 92 jeep cherokee? i mean my mercedes takes a huge funky sized battery that costs an assload. i just wanna know if i can just wander into an auto parts store and find a cheap one and be safe?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

also wondering if i can pop the battery out of moms buick and toss it in the jeep?

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

oh i guess i'll just head to napA

Ackers

alternator going bad? (92 jeep cherokee)
Last edited by Sanjay; Today at 02:09 AM Reason: Information is beautiful

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

if they are roughly the same size it shouldn't be a problem.

even if the buick battery is smaller you should be able to use it to check to see if your jeep killed the battery.

throw it in. start it. rev it and see if the alternator indicator goes positive.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

You do want the proper size battery for the tray, don't want it bouncing around the engine bay, but you can probably get the right battery for an old jeep at any parts store.

and yeah, you can probably use the battery out of the buick in a pinch or for testing.

Forever Domon

voltage is voltage. Its fine for a test, might even be fine for normal usage, its not like you're taking a battery from a geo metro, a land boat may draw just as much as a jeep

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
voltage is voltage. Its fine for a test, might even be fine for normal usage, its not like you're taking a battery from a geo metro, a land boat may draw just as much as a jeep

and current is current. My UPC's are 12 volt. Not going to try to start my GF's Hyundai with it. Though I have used it to trickle charge the battery.

Dont know about recent models but older "family" buicks were low compression easy to spin motors. Dont know about jeeps.

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
and current is current. My UPC's are 12 volt. Not going to try to start my GF's Hyundai with it. Though I have used it to trickle charge the battery.

Dont know about recent models but older "family" buicks were low compression easy to spin motors. Dont know about jeeps.
I jump started my car with my 12v riding lawnmower battery once

MazingHL

Costco would have the cheapest battery price.

Turbos are in my cars

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
I jump started my car with my 12v riding lawnmower battery once

I = E/R

The jumper cables saved your lawnmower battery.

Typical "civilian" jumper cables have at least an ohm of resistance, limiting current draw on the supply battery to 12 amps. Which is why you are supposed to hook up a jumper and let the vehicle supplying the juice rev enough to lay a surface charge on the receiving car.

Hook it up direct and try that a few times. Get a fire extinguisher first. And some baking soda.

Joves

Well you could get the Jeep started and then take off the positive lead from the battery, if the Jeep keeps running then the battery is bad, if the Jeep dies the alternator is bad. Just the old fashioned quick test.

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

was bad connection, cleaned and tightened the terminals and all was good just didn't expect it to be that as they were just recently cleaned and tightened recently when the alternator was replaced.

anyways thanks all

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
Well you could get the Jeep started and then take off the positive lead from the battery, if the Jeep keeps running then the battery is bad, if the Jeep dies the alternator is bad. Just the old fashioned quick test.
An old fashioned way to totally fuck the alternator and/or computer.
Fucking horrible idea

Asa of the Infidel Crew

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
was bad connection, cleaned and tightened the terminals and all was good just didn't expect it to be that as they were just recently cleaned and tightened recently when the alternator was replaced.

anyways thanks all
Be a good idea to look at the terminals. If everything was just serviced and it was loose, the terminals might've been through too many loosen/tighten cycles, especially if you've been having trouble with the charging system and have taken them off a couple times recently. Not a horribly hard procedure replacing just the terminals

Asa of the Infidel Crew