General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

so what, going from 15/16 to 1" or something around that?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mekilljoydammit
[H]Cars refugee and rotary whore at large

1 to 1 and 1/16th.

“We thought it must be possible to make an interesting living messing about with racing cars and engines." -Keith Duckworth

Driving: A nice practical sedate car... '03 WRX
Shooting: Canon P, Zorki 6, Nikon D5100, 1911, FAL

mekilljoydammit

Pointless post part 2!

Think I figured out a first cut of suspension; Tokico D-Spec struts with Tein G-Tech springs. The first because they actually have dyno plots available for the suckers, and the dyno data is actually pretty decent, the second because they're intended for gravel use, which means that the rates and ride height is right about correct for what I want. About $800 for all 4 corners for a setup that's about 80% of where I'd like to be, suspension-wise. The next 10-15% would be an extra 1-1.5k dollars, and the last part would be another 3-4k on top of that, so I think I'm pretty okay with that for a daily driver; worse comes to worst I can sell the combo and step up to the 90% solution.

Of course, have a few other things to take care of before that...

“We thought it must be possible to make an interesting living messing about with racing cars and engines." -Keith Duckworth

mekilljoydammit

Ebay's taunting me. Front clip popped up from a JDM GC8... looking up the transmission code, it's a V4 STi RA V-Limited, which means EJ20 with factory forged internals, the strongest factory 5-speed close ratio gearset with DCCD and a front helical LSD, plus every bit of the wiring harness, ECU, etc etc etc. No emissions for my car, so I could just take out all the worky bits from the clip, throw them in mine, and be done with it. Seller doesn't seem to know exactly what they have either; it's like, a couple grand less than it should be, from having watched prices on these sorts of things.

Only, I don't have the cash onhand... and wasn't there someone else who took out a loan to pay for an engine swap in an old Subaru? I mean, it seems like one of those fundamentally bad ideas and all...

Oh well.

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike

wow dood i like your thinking: "A rotary is a project car, so I'll just get an AWD turbo and keep it in a constant state of upgrade instead!"

GLHF

mekilljoydammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
wow dood i like your thinking: "A rotary is a project car, so I'll just get an AWD turbo and keep it in a constant state of upgrade instead!"

GLHF

Well, I note it's not turboed yet, and may not ever be. And for everything other than the engine, I have a specific, planned out upgrade path with a pretty definite endpoint. Engine's sort of last on the list, but you know how it gets when you see things on ebay that would be perfect...

... all that said, yeah, I know, a normal idea of a "DD" as opposed to a "project car" would be "leave it the fuck alone and don't mod it", but I don't really have it in me to leave things I don't like alone. Instead I'm going to just stick to doing everything such that it'll only be undriveable for hours to maybe a weekend... that and sticking to the endpoints unless it really really needs more (suspension, I'm looking at you here!)

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekilljoydammit View Post
Well, I note it's not turboed yet, and may not ever be. And for everything other than the engine, I have a specific, planned out upgrade path with a pretty definite endpoint. Engine's sort of last on the list, but you know how it gets when you see things on ebay that would be perfect...

... all that said, yeah, I know, a normal idea of a "DD" as opposed to a "project car" would be "leave it the fuck alone and don't mod it", but I don't really have it in me to leave things I don't like alone. Instead I'm going to just stick to doing everything such that it'll only be undriveable for hours to maybe a weekend... that and sticking to the endpoints unless it really really needs more (suspension, I'm looking at you here!)

dood just get a fucking camry and do whatever you want with this car, its gonna save you headaches in the long run

Stealthmode
needs moar stealhmode

<3 celica all-trac

mekilljoydammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
dood just get a fucking camry and do whatever you want with this car, its gonna save you headaches in the long run

Enh. It's my DD, by my terms anyway; I have less than zero interest in a Camry or anything else FWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthmode View Post
<3 celica all-trac

You know, I agree, except that working on this one has cured me of any desire to own one.

chuckybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFire View Post
take the twin turbo ej22 block with properly ported heads and cams, sleeve the block, 35R, pistons and rods and you can easily make 500ish wheel all day on that motor.

the 300 crank on a stock sti swap is already enough to spin the tires on a gc chassis since it's around 700lb lighter than a gd sti. a 500 wheel gc is going to be fucking worthy

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

didnt see this; i withdraw my objection

mekilljoydammit

Little update; suspension plans changed again. I was never entirely happy with the idea of the Tokico setup... twin tube non-inverted struts. So I found a seller offering some 02-03 STI struts/springs/tophats for reasonable money. Needs a camber bolt but other than that pretty much bolt up. I figure to run it stock for a while, and swap to the GTech springs down the road, plus a revalving by Feal.

Also picked up a Grimmspeed master cylinder brace. Price was right thanks to a group buy, and actually can feel a difference. Stainless lines and WRC mastercylinder will go on later

More pics when the struts get here.

ritalinjoe

Why do subaru doors feel like they are made from tin foil?

I have a friend with an 02 wrx and I swear to god the sheet metal is paper thin. You can feel it even when you are leaning on an open door, and closing it, holy shit.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritalinjoe View Post
Why do subaru doors feel like they are made from tin foil?

I have a friend with an 02 wrx and I swear to god the sheet metal is paper thin. You can feel it even when you are leaning on an open door, and closing it, holy shit.

weight savings

jk, i hate that. Hyundays and Kias are like that too, at least the ones ive seen.