General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

AtomicFire

Volvo XC90 vomiting oil

Came out this morning while on vacation to see our up-to-now reliable Volvo had vomited about a quart of oil onto the floor in the garage. It's not being burned in the engine (no blue smoke or odor from the tailpipe) and since i'm on vacation all I brought with me were some simple sockets and an extra quart of oil. Topped it off and oil pressure and level are fine for now, but it's leaking pretty heavily.

I have an appointment with a local garage in a few minutes to have them take a look, but i'm obviously fearing the worst. Some owners have had RMS problems but no where i've read has seen a leak as bad as this.

I have to mention that it's about 8F here, and the car was driven from Houston about 1200 miles with no issues. Wondering if the dramatic change in temperature would have caused anything.

Also, on a positive note, aside from this oil puking issue, this car has been 100% comfortable and awesome for the road trip. Really wished I had some forced induction for the altitude, but I'm still able to effortlessly haul ass past most of the cars on the long mountain runs

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Typhoon43

Clean up the spill and see where it's coming from. Possibly a rear-main seal poping out from expansion/contraction in the temp change?

AtomicFire

No tools. It's got a giant skidplate on the bottom - add to that the garage isn't heated and it's below freezing in there and I really don't want to be out there. Just dropped it off at the garage, their front office smelled like weed

AtomicFire

Just got a call back from the garage - both valvecover gaskets leaking...lol

$700 lighter in my wallet, though i'm thankful I don't have to do this myself. It requires a lot of special tools and sockets AND it's a transverse V8 so it's a FUCK YOU to work in the engine bay.

grjr

$700 to do some valve cover gaskets? your car is raping you

JCviggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post

Not unheard of. The engine in my car needs to be pulled if the left bank valve cover starts to leak. Only the right side can be done with the engine in.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

No way its 7 hours, assuming 100 bucks an hour, to replace the valve cover gaskets on that car despite its engine arrangement.

Last edited by Lurker; 01-20-2012 at 09:00 AM..

AtomicFire

Considering it's a European car with a relatively rare motor, i'm stuck in a tourist town, and this is one of two garages in town, and I need it to run Saturday so I can drive home, $700 is expensive but I really don't have any choice. Sucks, but yes I would have done it myself if this was near home, not 1200 miles away with an impending roadtrip.

Bill Brasky
He killed Wolfman Jack with a trident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
No way its 7 hours, assuming 100 bucks an hour, to replace the valve cover gaskets on that car despite its engine arrangement.

I'm a Son of a Bitch and you fucking love me for it.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFire View Post
Considering it's a European car with a relatively rare motor, i'm stuck in a tourist town, and this is one of two garages in town, and I need it to run Saturday so I can drive home, $700 is expensive but I really don't have any choice. Sucks, but yes I would have done it myself if this was near home, not 1200 miles away with an impending roadtrip.

This I agree with. But that doesnt make it right.

Typhoon43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

At least he got free gaskets according to your "math"

AtomicFire

illig

yep, cars hate vacations

i just got back from a road trip to the Florida Keys and while there my exhaust decided to fall apart

last year i drove to North Carolina (also for xmas/new years) and my brand new battery decided to commit suicide :/

since i plan on continuing to drive for vacations i'm curious what will happen next year...

Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon43 View Post
At least he got free gaskets according to your "math"

According to my math there should be blow jobs included as well.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post

My friend's granny took her Avalon in after a couple oil spots the size of a quarter appeared on the garage floor. $750 for both gaskets

They get what they can - they have bills to pay too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCviggen View Post
Not unheard of. The engine in my car needs to be pulled if the left bank valve cover starts to leak. Only the right side can be done with the engine in.

Seriously?