General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

odd
I make it rain on them hoes.

Software based fan speed vs hardware control GTX 560Ti

I have a question about software vs hardware fan speed control. Right now I have a MSI 560Ti with a custom cooling HSF. I have had to RMA this thing twice in less than a year because the memory chips overheat and start causing artifacts. I have been using EVGA precision (souped up fanspeed) to set the fan speeds, pretty aggressive fan speeds. Since both of my cards have died I decided to try and let the hardware set the fan speed but I am not so sure on how reliable it is. The fans don't seem to spin up as aggressive as I would like with the temps using the hardware monitoring, but again both cards died using the software solution.

So my question to you is should I rely on the hardware monitoring or stick to the custom software and hope for the best. Thanks all.
Only users lose drugs

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

snitzle_iii

what are the specifications for the 560 as far as max temp?
ie i have a 465 the max temp is like 105c or something like that
i use msi afterburn and like evga percision it has a temp control. ie my computer has been on for about 26 hours. my min is 42 and my max is only 77 (with gaming). i have my fan on auto. your fan speed controller should kick in when it needs to. sometimes i feel my temps are high so i manually set the controller to controller <65% just because once i go past 65% it gets wicked loud (a problem i feel i have with the 460,465,470). the nice thing in msi afterburn is that under fan you can set your own fan speed vs temp. ie u can set the fan to 30% till 60c and once it hits past 60c u can have it jump to 85% ect. if you are extra scared you can always buy chip-set heat sinks and put them on your card for better cooling. u can also get a small fan on your card. in part i went with evga cause they have lifetime warranty on their cards.

Serv0h
Stilts and a straw, you'll be in heaven.

Is this the Twin Frozr II card?
I'm in the process of RMA'ing mine... VRAM is dying.

Might just be a poorly cooled card.
__//
__||
▀▀

odd
I make it rain on them hoes.

@snitzle. The card idles around 30c to 35c and hit's around 60c -70c under load. This is with hardware or software controls. When I had the software doing the fan speed control I had the temps match the fan speed. ie 55c and the fan hits 55 RPM, 60c fan at 60 RPM.

@Serv0h. yeah that is the same card I have. Like I wrote the custom cooler is great for cooling the GPU but the VRAM and other circuits don't seem to get the required air flow. I bought this card in Jan and i am on my 3rd RMA all because of the memory over heating that is the only thing I can think of. It's the same issue everytime after a couple of months. I start getting artifacts and then the card just becomes unusable.

Right now it seems like the hardware control has a finer grain on speeds but again I don't wan the card to die again. I don't know the max thermal output of what is good. Again the GPU is cool and the heat is never a issue, it's just the RAM not getting the required cooling.

I think if i could get heatsinks on the RAM chips I would be good but there is no room to place any type of aftermarket hs on the chips.
Only users lose drugs

Serv0h
Stilts and a straw, you'll be in heaven.

Man, that sucks... bad design.
I hope I'm not stuck to 3 years of getting the card replaced every few moths.
__//
__||
▀▀