General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Closed Thread

DarkHelmet
BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkdncr View Post
well, most applications have you Accept a EULA. have you ever read one?

Unless you have an actual contract, an EULA or shrink wrap license is not worth anything. It cannot be enforced as it's not a contract.

This is why Cisco/Nortel/Motorola/Lucent/etc have an actual agreement covering their software.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

And don't forget to include a definition of Barratry in your reply. If you live in an applicable location

detail
Impeach and try Bush/Cheney! 911 was an inside job!

Tell them you are legal and to pound sand.

I'm dead set against EULAs and think Congress needs to get rid of them. Make it like owning a book, instead of "usage rights."

flshdncr
brkdncr
I want to hang out with all the boys ;)

agreed on so many levels. I don't think EULA's have actually been tested in court yet.

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
And don't forget to include a definition of Barratry in your reply. If you live in an applicable location

we're sinking ships to claim insurance?
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

logie
Do what now?

We were fined 25k a few years ago, same scenario (disgruntled employee.. actually net admin left here and reported and he was the one who fscked up)... Sucks that they have the right to audit you at any point with no notice for like the next 3 years after the "offense"..

Reverend Sin
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like

I'd tell them to piss up a rope tbh.
"I'm Irish Wahoo! What does it mean? Ahhh! It means I'm not fuckin' English, that's what it means!"

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by logie View Post
We were fined 25k a few years ago, same scenario (disgruntled employee.. actually net admin left here and reported and he was the one who fscked up)... Sucks that they have the right to audit you at any point with no notice for like the next 3 years after the "offense"..

so tell us, how does a trade association, that is not a legal government entity, "audit" your company and "fine" you 25k?

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve View Post
we're sinking ships to claim insurance?

Using constant threats of legal action to scare someone into cooperating with you. Not the maritime version.

logie
Do what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post
so tell us, how does a trade association, that is not a legal government entity, "audit" your company and "fine" you 25k?

i wasn't employed here, came shortly after the mess, but i guess they threatened to charge an insane amount for each license that was not legit (adding up to way more than 25k)..

It's definitely crooked..

Whats even more fucked is the dude who reported (it was his fault), got a cash reward....

littleDoom

Quote:
i wasn't employed here, came shortly after the mess, but i guess they threatened to charge an insane amount for each license that was not legit (adding up to way more than 25k)..

Whats even more fucked is the dude who reported (it was his fault), got a cash reward....

I haven't had experience with them, but a co-worker of mine has.

Like what you said, they will send a letter stating that the company should give them $400 per license that they have violated (when, the license was actually worth only $200 to begin with). If you settle with them on the licenses, it can keep the company out of court.

-+=-0!^*

Support PETA

topcat989

Quote:

it sounds like the company just capitulated. The BSA is not the fucking FBI, they can't come in and do an audit unless you give consent or are ordered to by a judge, after the BSA files suite. By that time the company legal department is involved.

If the company is way out of compliance, then it's up to them how to deal with it. Fight, settle, whatever. If my company was compliant or only had minor infractions, I'd tell them to fuck off.

logie
Do what now?

I'm more than willing to find out the exact story/details from my CFO/boss if you guys would like.. I came after it all went down and never witnessed an audit from them.

I guess they did once or twice within the first year but never did after that, but had "the right" to do so for 3 or 4 years.. I dont know how they had the right but you get the idea..

DigitalChaos

ive never heard of it happening more than once like that

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post

ive never heard of it happening more than once like that

As a response you should write the employee was disgruntled & flat out lying, put it in a box with a 10lb bag of sand, and a cheap rubber mallet. I'm serious, if you're compliant tell them to go pound sand.

Closed Thread