General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Atma Weapon

New laptop...is combining my 2 hard drives in RAID a bad idea?

I just got a new ASUS laptop and it's got the 2 separate 500GB drives. I would strongly prefer to have it formatted as just one single 1TB drive. From the research I've done so far, I've learned some people have said this is a bad idea for various reasons, whether it's a possibility of a crash or hit in performance, etc. Is there any truth to this, and if not, how do I go about doing it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Killer_B

If you're going to insist upon running RAID0 on your laptop, you'd better have a backup image that you're making on a regular basis. One of those drives hiccups/dies, you're dead in the water.

I am not even sure that RAID0 is going to be especially worthwhile to perform on a laptop, unless perhaps both of the drives are SSD...And even then, the performance is going to be limited by the controller that they're attached to.

I'd say it's SO not worth it...But I suppose I can't stop you if you enjoy living dangerously, for what is likely a tiny performance boost.

Founding [M]ember of the GENTLY CARESS EA Club.

Then the network comes back up. And then down again. Up... and down. It keeps going down like a Clinton intern.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Its certainly faster than running them individually but I would not risk it on a laptop. If anything, I would run them as Raid 1.

Coqui

Does the laptop even have a RAID controller?

Grazehell

Why the heck would you want to run Raid0 on a laptop that would probably be tossed around and handled in a matter that would be detrimental to your data with this setup?

Why is Raid0 even called Raid when it is not, what a misnomer!