General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Clos
cheezy

http://leangains.blogspot.com/

I'm not advocating the Warrior Diet, but I am putting it out there that intermittent fasting is a style of eating that can be safe and healthy.

The warrior diet is pretty much one giant meal, and 23 hours of fasting. It is the marketed scam of information, where you buy the book, it "teaches" you the basics, and you eat

Intermittent fasting generally has a block of time (say 6-8 hours) where you eat your calories for the day. Of course, this is time to eat reasonably healthy and hit the gym during this time. It's an alternative lifestyle (safe and plenty capable of building muscle and burning fat) for those who don't wish to cram their meals while they work.

Next, this forum will be saying ketosis is a crock.

IF is definitely not for :
Those with eating disorders.
Those with other diseases that prevent them from fasting.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius

The Warrior Diet isn't even intermittent fasting, since you munch on nuts, etc during the day.

Rizen

I'm curious to what Vendetta has to say on this topic considering you called much of he posts "broscience" and he has a Master's in it.

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizen View Post
I'm curious to what Vendetta has to say on this topic considering you called much of he posts "broscience" and he has a Master's in it.

Not quite--I'm about to complete my doctorate in Research, Statistics, and Evaluation. Though I do work as a methodologist for exercise physiology and kinesiology experiments, my main focus is educational policy. My first masters is in education But I am certified in multiple organizations as a personal trainer with 9 years experience.

I do have a response to all this and I will indeed in a moment.

Vendetta

Ok, first of all, I've been following this debate for quite some time. Both sides have their idiots (particularly I find this "broscience" accusation complete , grow up). I have advocated for the multi-meal schedule for many years, for a variety of reasons: macronutrient release at multiple time periods, particularly helpful for those that train at different times from day to day; portion control is psychological and instructional; and it's a way of reinforcing good eating habits (400 calorie meals mean a person is more full on a full salad and chicken with oatmeal compared to a snickers bar).

The research on IF is really split--don't get your information from a freaking bodybuilding forum where research studies are cited by people with ZERO knowledge of proper research methodology. I, on the other hand, do.

Fuck it, read this: http://www.alanaragon.com/an-objecti...t-fasting.html

That at least was a critical review of the modern research on the multi-day eat schedule and the IF.

My initial argument? We don't know either way. Research is split--some supports, some doesnt, for either way of doing it. What is CERTAINLY true is saying "IF works and its universal" is bupkiss. This is never an actual exact science, and what may work for some might be catastrophic for others. I also know the potential negative effects of IF (memory, mood, fatigue, etc) might be very, very dangerous--particularly for heavy resistance trainers.

However, I'm willing to give it a try, I don't mind treating my body like a lab rat. I'm coming off a bulk phase recently and am in preparation for a bodybuilding show, so I will consider implementing the daily IF schedule and see what it does. I'll be paying close attention to my fitness in the gym and the pitch.

Rizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Not quite--I'm about to complete my doctorate in Research, Statistics, and Evaluation. Though I do work as a methodologist for exercise physiology and kinesiology experiments, my main focus is educational policy. My first masters is in education But I am certified in multiple organizations as a personal trainer with 9 years experience.

I do have a response to all this and I will indeed in a moment.
Close enough, I trust what I hear from you and I have heard it repeated by many other individuals in the health field. My close friend has a master's in nutritional health and I have discussed meals and diets with her in the past, and she generally echoes what you say in regards to multi-meal diets.

Butthole Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
The Warrior Diet isn't even intermittent fasting, since you munch on nuts, etc during the day.

it's pretty close. think of it more as a controlled fasting. it's a cycle of undereating and then overeating during the course of the day. Not a new concept at all. The practice of Ramadan is a more extreme version of this eating style because there's no drinking or eating during daylight hours at all, whereas in the warrior diet, you can pretty much snack on nuts and drink juice.

Vendetta

I suppose I'll do weekly reports on my experiences with this diet, I'm on the first day right now of "Operation Vendetta Lab Rat"

Artesial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
I suppose I'll do weekly reports on my experiences with this diet, I'm on the first day right now of "Operation Vendetta Lab Rat"

So you're going to only eat one meal a day? Can't wait to see what happens!

Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artesial View Post
So you're going to only eat one meal a day? Can't wait to see what happens!

No I'm going to try Intermittent Fasting. 18 hours of no food, 6 hour window of food.
Today was the first day, I'll check back at the 24 hour mark (a few hours).

Vendetta

Gonna just make a new thread

UTRocketMan

That was an interesting paper vendetta, thank you for posting it!