General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ScumBag

Working legs without squat rack or leg press.

I have a bench and tons of free weights at home to accomplish almost any exercise. However, I don't have the proper equipment to build my legs to the extent I'd like to. Right now I can do squats using about 130lbs but more than that I'm afraid I might injure myself because I have to lift the weight off the ground. Do you guys know of any methods to build strong legs without that equipment? Using dumbbells to do squats is also hard because the weight I can use is limited. I'm probably answering my own question just by making this post... basically I need to buy a smith machine or something, but I'm wondering if anyone here has clever ways of building their legs that would attain the same results without making the investment into one of those machines.

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

dumbbell squats

Clos
cheezy

Pick up the weight properly and do front squats. For a period of time I had no squat rack as well, and did front squats. When I had a spotter, I picked the weight off the flat bench carefully and did traditional squats.

For quad-dominant alternatives until you feel comfortable doing cleans, you can tryhack squats and dumbbell lunges.

Make sure to include some sort of hamstring exercise, such as good mornings (which may not be possible until you get a squat rack) or one of the various styles of deadlifts. Romanian deadlifts will closely mimic the effect of good mornings.

Others will be able to give advice on other exercises. I have limited experience, but I've done the above exercises.

Gibonius

Get some sawhorses and put the bar on them, squat as normal. It'll be a little odd starting in the bottom position, but it'll work. Cheaper than getting a real rack, too.

Cleaning the weight up can be pretty hard, especially if your wrist flexibility isn't the best. It's worth a try, some people can do it just fine. Cleans are a great exercise anyway, if you don't know how to do them yet. Front squats are overall a great exercise, but if you're trying to gain straight mass you might want to find a way to do back squats.

Golf(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
Pick up the weight properly and do front squats. For a period of time I had no squat rack as well, and did front squats. When I had a spotter, I picked the weight off the flat bench carefully and did traditional squats.

For quad-dominant alternatives until you feel comfortable doing cleans, you can tryhack squats and dumbbell lunges.

Make sure to include some sort of hamstring exercise, such as good mornings (which may not be possible until you get a squat rack) or one of the various styles of deadlifts. Romanian deadlifts will closely mimic the effect of good mornings.

Others will be able to give advice on other exercises. I have limited experience, but I've done the above exercises.
i was going to make a post but this pretty much covers it

dumbell squats, dumbell lunges

hack squats

front squats

deadlifts

this will suffice until you one day progress to a real gym
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop

Gibonius

Sumo style deadlifts work the legs more than regular deads, if you want to go that route.

Bulgarian split squats are a pretty good leg workout, and you don't need that much weight either.

Whizzleteets
I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!

[IMG]http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/whizzlewtf397921.jpg[/IMG]
follow mentner on twitter if you're not a giant fagmo.

BobSutan
pwned

x2 for the Bulgarian split squats. I also suggest Step Ups, which is just like it sounds, and also Romanian Deadlifts.

Here's my leg routing (Strength 1 from New Rules of Lifting)

Squats: 6 reps, 1 rep, 6 reps, 1 rep, 10-12 reps, 15-20 reps (3 minutes rest between sets)
Bulgarian Split Squats 3x15 superset with...
Step Ups (do them with no rest betwen and then take 90 seconds rest between sets)
Back Extensions 3x10 superset with...
Swiss Ball Crunches (do them with no rest betwen and then take 90 seconds rest between sets)

Takes about 45 minutes and I can barely walk when I'm leaving the gym.

http://funandsocial.blogspot.com/